Poll

Was the Lakewood PD wrong for releasing a statement on potential protests?

Yes, they were wrong.
3 (30%)
It may have negative ramifications, but it's not their job to worry about it.
1 (10%)
No, they were right to release the statement.
6 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Was the Lakewood PD wrong for releasing a statement on potential protests?  (Read 2310 times)

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Was the Lakewood PD wrong for releasing a statement on potential protests? Whenever they release a statement, multiple news agencies across the state generally pick up on it and publicize it. They are basically taking a rumor about a protest and amplifying it across the state, and it becomes an invitation for people to come to Lakewood to protest. It can potentially (but hopefully not) cause massive damage to Lakewood businesses. Should they have had the sense to refrain from releasing media statements without thinking about the potential ramifications?

Here is the statement:
"We have received information about a possible protest and/or gathering in Lakewood on Saturday June 6, 2020.
As a result, we are preparing with the help of our community liaisons, so that we can handle any situation that may arise. It is our priority to maintain the safety of the community we serve, while allowing and respecting the right to a peaceful demonstration.
We ask that you keep all of those affected by the events in Minnesota and around the Country,  in your thoughts and prayers."

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
Sorry, this should be in the Just Shmooze board...

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Double edge sword but I think they have a responsibility if they believe the report is creditable.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
Sorry, this should be in the Just Shmooze board...
Hopefully it can be discussed objectively and belongs here.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
No invitations in Beachwood. Just snowplow trucks blocking the entrance to the mall.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
Double edge sword but I think they have a responsibility if they believe the report is creditable.
Can't they talk to liaisons and prepare without putting out a statement? What is the benefit of a statement? So that business owners can board up?

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
Can't they talk to liaisons and prepare without putting out a statement? What is the benefit of a statement? So that business owners can board up?
Not just business owners but to every resident.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
BTW, I respect police immensely, but I have found that the Lakewood, NJ police department has been a little reckless with media reports recently. They released the identity of a faultless accident victim recently, and they were (I believe) the only agency in New Jersey that released statements - with names - for every social distancing violation they addresses. Of the 565 municipalities in New Jersey, I think Lakewood was the ONLY one! And there were numerous violations reported elsewhere, but without names or details.

So, I think that the media relations department is allowed to be scrutinized, and thus, I was seeking objective opinions on the above question.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
Not just business owners but to every resident.
Would you advise that? It's hard to know before what will be. Is boarding up a store or home before anything happens just a provocation for violence? There have been many peaceful protests...

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
Would you advise that? It's hard to know before what will be. Is boarding up a store or home before anything happens just a provocation for violence? There have been many peaceful protests...
He is talking about being aware of the protest. I would want to know in my community.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
He is talking about being aware of the protest. I would want to know in my community.
That's a good point. But if there was no high-scale organized protest, it is probably better to keep a low profile. I do think you summed it up best:

Offline coffeebean

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Was the Lakewood PD wrong for releasing a statement on potential protests? Whenever they release a statement, multiple news agencies across the state generally pick up on it and publicize it. They are basically taking a rumor about a protest and amplifying it across the state, and it becomes an invitation for people to come to Lakewood to protest. It can potentially (but hopefully not) cause massive damage to Lakewood businesses. Should they have had the sense to refrain from releasing media statements without thinking about the potential ramifications?

Here is the statement:
"We have received information about a possible protest and/or gathering in Lakewood on Saturday June 6, 2020.
As a result, we are preparing with the help of our community liaisons, so that we can handle any situation that may arise. It is our priority to maintain the safety of the community we serve, while allowing and respecting the right to a peaceful demonstration.
We ask that you keep all of those affected by the events in Minnesota and around the Country,  in your thoughts and prayers."
I'm sure they did some research before actually posting it. I heard from chats that it was going facebook

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
I'm sure they did some research before actually posting it. I heard from chats that it was going facebook
Interesting to hear. The only thing I heard about was a joke that was going around, which called for a protest on June Sixth in a clearly humorous manner. But just because I didn't hear about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist (sometimes...).

Offline coffeebean

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Interesting to hear. The only thing I heard about was a joke that was going around, which called for a protest on June Sixth in a clearly humorous manner. But just because I didn't hear about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist (sometimes...).
Yup, I was told non Jewish coworkers telling their jewish coworkers to beware

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Harold Hershkowitz said the police visited him to warn him to remove his valuables and any cash. He added that he heard some "rabble rousers" are planning to join the peaceful protest and make it not peaceful.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
I was in Lowes and they removed the fuel cans off the shelves, so I guess it was worth it
["-"]

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Harold Hershkowitz said the police visited him to warn him to remove his valuables and any cash. He added that he heard some "rabble rousers" are planning to join the peaceful protest and make it not peaceful.
Whoa! Link?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.