Poll

Does the Chase 1.5cpp Promo Change Your Approach?

No, I still will hoard for experiences and last-min travel.
No, I have always cashed out.
Yes, I will now cash out.

Author Topic: Miles and Points: Redeem for Experiences or Cash?  (Read 4485 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Miles and Points: Redeem for Experiences or Cash?
« on: June 02, 2020, 01:04:44 PM »
Nick at FM writes a thought-provoking article here: https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/is-it-now-irrational-to-hold-ultimate-rewards-points-on-nicks-mind/.

Ultimately, I've long ago came to the conclusion that syncs with one of his final paragraphs:

The truth is that I don’t want to redeem my points this way. I feel like I put in the effort to earn these points with the aim of traveling in comfort and style beyond what I’d mean to pay in cold hard cash.

. . .

Granted, my points also represent the ability to save real cash. I know that here are times when I would otherwise spend $150 on a hotel room that I could snag with 5,000 or 7,500 points and times when the cash cost of a last-minute flight would make it impossible for me to “be there” (wherever there is) without a stash of points. I know that my points do represent an ability to save money on future trips and to stay in more luxurious hotels for a  very small premium over what I’d pay elsewhere.

I play this game to do both of those things: (i) travel in a fashion way above my station, and (ii) save cold hard cash in instances where miles substantially reduces the outlandish cost of close-in travel (though programs are doing they're hardest to slaughter that value).  I suppose my feelings might change if my life circumstances changed, and I suppose the number of points one has also may play a factor, i.e. perhaps if one has millions of points that he or she cannot use in the near future, perhaps it is wise to cash out some? For me, even though I do have millions, and even at 1.5 cpp, I still won't--I don't think.

How do you feel?

ETA: Added poll.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 01:10:31 PM by AJK »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: Miles and Points: Redeem for Experiences or Cash?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 01:11:59 PM »
As long as the MS opportunity is still there I will cash out every chance I get.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline normathej

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 02:48:21 PM »
Nick at FM writes a thought-provoking article here: https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/is-it-now-irrational-to-hold-ultimate-rewards-points-on-nicks-mind/.

Ultimately, I've long ago came to the conclusion that syncs with one of his final paragraphs:

I play this game to do both of those things: (i) travel in a fashion way above my station, and (ii) save cold hard cash in instances where miles substantially reduces the outlandish cost of close-in travel (though programs are doing they're hardest to slaughter that value).  I suppose my feelings might change if my life circumstances changed, and I suppose the number of points one has also may play a factor, i.e. perhaps if one has millions of points that he or she cannot use in the near future, perhaps it is wise to cash out some? For me, even though I do have millions, and even at 1.5 cpp, I still won't--I don't think.

How do you feel?

ETA: Added poll.

Ok, @AJK is on my list of most articulate ddfers, but "they're" and not "their"?  Sorry, pet peeve. 

Offline yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 02:59:02 PM »
For me, it's less about the saving money aspect (don't get me wrong, it's about that too) and more about the acceptability of someone in my social strata taking "nice" vacations. When I say it was on points, it becomes more acceptable. Whereas if I save the money by using points on "basics", spending "all that money" on a vacation is suddenly seen as excessive. Not that it makes logical or financial sense, but that's how it is. 
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 03:04:56 PM »
Ok, @AJK is on my list of most articulate ddfers, but "they're" and not "their"?  Sorry, pet peeve.

Would you believe me if I said it was autocorrect's fault?

Apologies :P
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 03:16:01 PM »
For me, it's less about the saving money aspect (don't get me wrong, it's about that too) and more about the acceptability of someone in my social strata taking "nice" vacations. When I say it was on points, it becomes more acceptable. Whereas if I save the money by using points on "basics", spending "all that money" on a vacation is suddenly seen as excessive. Not that it makes logical or financial sense, but that's how it is. 
True story
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yungermanchik

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline Geshmak25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 04:12:18 PM »
This comes up every so often on ddf.

In fact, one of my first posts ever almost 6 yrs ago (omg) was about this very subject - https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=45744.msg935159#msg935159

I have always been on the cash out side of the argument (unless there's a specific redemption that you have in mind that makes monetary sense).
PUTPAC = PITA