Author Topic: Does “Black Privilege” exist  (Read 4913 times)

Offline yzj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Does “Black Privilege” exist
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 09:45:24 PM »
United Negro College Fund
501(c)(3)
funds scholarships for black students
["-"]

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 10:12:06 PM »
It’s a political untenable conversation. There are scientific facts that can’t be acknowledged or given credence to publicly because they are not politically correct but they underpin a lot of public policy. The median African American IQ is somewhere around 80, white IQ just over 100 and Asian American IQ is even higher. There’s a huge debate whether it’s mostly environmental mostly genetic, or a combination (studies of interracial adoptions are often cited) but the fact remains that there is a large gap between the races, and studies show a strong correlation between IQ and poverty.

I think it’s a fair premise that there ought to be some balance so that everyone has an equal opportunity to succeed. Should Asian Americans take every slot in Harvard, every slot in top engineering schools,  every leadership position based on their IQ relative to the other races? I don’t think that is a fair or even a desirable outcome.

I don’t think most of it is black privilege; it’s just leveling the playing field. Regardless, this professor is an idiot for walking into a mine field. Anyone who things academia is unbiased and intellectually honest is living in la la land. There are some subject which are taboo in America and this is one of them. I don’t give this guy six months at his current job.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 10:15:33 PM by cmey »

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 10:15:15 PM »
do you know any brokers in the Bronx? ask them what programs the city pushes there
names I never heard of
["-"]

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 10:22:02 PM »
This thread has the possibility to be a goldmine.  :)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 10:28:48 PM »
Who needs 4chan

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 10:31:48 PM »
how much an hour?
["-"]

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 10:33:02 PM »
how much an hour?
Have no idea but just ordered some more paint for my pictures.

Online Jellybelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 10:34:51 PM »
Why black privilege? Maybe it should be minority privilege?
Just ask Pocahontas 🙄

Offline yzj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 10:52:34 PM »
It’s a political untenable conversation. There are scientific facts that can’t be acknowledged or given credence to publicly because they are not politically correct but they underpin a lot of public policy. The median African American IQ is somewhere around 80, white IQ just over 100 and Asian American IQ is even higher. There’s a huge debate whether it’s mostly environmental mostly genetic, or a combination (studies of interracial adoptions are often cited) but the fact remains that there is a large gap between the races, and studies show a strong correlation between IQ and poverty.

I think it’s a fair premise that there ought to be some balance so that everyone has an equal opportunity to succeed. Should Asian Americans take every slot in Harvard, every slot in top engineering schools,  every leadership position based on their IQ relative to the other races? I don’t think that is a fair or even a desirable outcome.

I don’t think most of it is black privilege; it’s just leveling the playing field. Regardless, this professor is an idiot for walking into a mine field. Anyone who things academia is unbiased and intellectually honest is living in la la land. There are some subject which are taboo in America and this is one of them. I don’t give this guy six months at his current job.

There’s no need to do it by race. There are plenty of African-Americans who have above average IQ and plenty of whites with below average. Same goes for socioeconomic background. Why not balance out the individual who is at a disadvantage rather than focusing on the race ?

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 10:54:05 PM »
There’s no need to do it by race. There are plenty of African-Americans who have above average IQ and plenty of whites with below average. Same goes for socioeconomic background. Why not balance out the individual who is at a disadvantage rather than focusing on the race ?

hey they never tested my IQ
["-"]

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 12:00:45 AM »

Hence common core. Make everyone stupider. That's the liberal answer to your issue.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 12:02:13 AM »

Hence common core. Make everyone stupider. That's the liberal answer to your issue.
just like yeshiva
["-"]

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2020, 12:18:56 AM »
It’s Friday! Everyone is tired of the charts and stats going in endless circles in the covid thread so let’s have another go at it in JS :)

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2020, 12:20:13 AM »
It’s Friday! Everyone is tired of the charts and stats going in endless circles in the covid thread so let’s have another go at it in JS :)
Not a good idea. My pictures are not looking pretty.

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2020, 12:20:53 AM »
Not a good idea. My pictures are not looking pretty.
need help embedding them?
["-"]

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2020, 12:22:45 AM »
need help embedding them?
That would be a very bad idea. Some things are better left private. With so many names looking the same it will help me call the right people out.  :)

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
["-"]

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2020, 11:08:58 AM »
Making the national conversation about privilege is missing the boat. I don’t think it’s so “black and white”- pun intended. Sure there is white privilege. Sure there’s black privilege. But compared to 30 years ago being successful has a lot more to do with personal choices and the consequences of those choices. Everyone has the ability to make choices in life  and those choices will have an impact. Are there an outsized number of black young males in prison? Yes. Unfortunately there is a high incidence of crime in that demographic. When I take my late night jog will I do it in the Ghetto? No, I don’t want to get my head bashed in. I’ll do it in the suburban area. Remember the GPS app? https://www.npr.org/2012/01/25/145337346/this-app-was-made-for-walking-but-is-it-racist

There’s a reason that there are a lack of normal retail and grocery options in those neighborhoods. There is a high incidence of shoplifting and crime so it doesn’t make sense to open from a business standpoint.

The NYC public school system isn’t doing anyone any favors by not disciplining African American kids who misbehave for fear of going over their quota and appearing to be biased against African Americans. They are teaching these children that actions don’t have consequences, and setting them up for failure later in life. New York City’s reluctance to crack down on quality of life issues in minority neighborhoods it’s only hurting the residence of those neighborhoods. These, and other well meaning liberal policies are contributing to the continued issues that African Americans face.

And there are so many other areas where privilege is blamed but in reality putting in an effort to educate oneself and acquire necessary tools are the real issue. Are there Judges that are biased against minorities? Perhaps. But by and large that is not the issue. Judges are trained to gauge the veracity of those in court based on visual and body cues.  If you have a put-together individual who articulately states his claim and then you have an individual who is not presentable for court and mumbles half sentences without making eye contact it’s obvious whose words the judge is going to give more weight to. And those are tools that can be acquired.

I firmly believe that in 2020 an African American who applies himself, dresses presentably, stays clean of drugs and alcohol and has a drive to succeed, will achieve upward mobility regardless of IQ. And a white with an IQ of 100 who doesn't will end up in a homeless encampment in SF. It’s not politically correct to attribute the issues the African American community is facing to anything other than white privilege, but until those factors are acknowledged, all of the lip service to white privilege, all of the affirmative action programs, all of the bias sensitization in the world will not move things forward.