Author Topic: The current state of COVID-19 in Israel  (Read 300067 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: The current state of COVID-19 in Israel
« Reply #2520 on: July 23, 2021, 11:31:55 AM »
If a government can't at least say "we did things the wrong way but we had to" they can't expect the peoples trust.
Isn't that exactly what US officials said about the original mask guidance?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: July 23, 2021, 11:37:45 AM »
You think the panic is entirely on the people?
What do you mean by "panic"? 
Here's one definition: Panic is a sudden sensation of fear, which is so strong as to dominate or prevent reason and logical thinking, replacing it with overwhelming feelings of anxiety and frantic agitation (wikipedia)

I never saw panic in my area during the past year.  What behaviors did you see that looked like panic?  Did you or your close friends and family feel panicked?

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: July 23, 2021, 11:47:59 AM »
This. And countless Bibi speeches along the same lines. They were not being honest about not having a long term strategy.
I agree with you that there was not effective communication from the government to the general public, and many people didn't understand how response to the virus would develop and change over time. 

But it's like response to any disease.  The doctor suggests treatment A, if it doesn't work, he tries treatment B.  The patient doesn't scream and yell "You said A would help!  Didn't you have a long-term strategy?  What's our exit strategy here?"  It's clear to anyone who's been sick that one has to wait and see how the illness develops, and respond at each step accordingly.

The same was true of the pandemic.  The "stop the spread" slogan was an important first step.  Many people did realize that this would be only the first step, but a lot of people didn't realize that.  I completely agree with you that the government should have stated that more explicitly. 

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2523 on: July 23, 2021, 11:55:46 AM »
What do you mean by "panic"? 
Here's one definition: Panic is a sudden sensation of fear, which is so strong as to dominate or prevent reason and logical thinking, replacing it with overwhelming feelings of anxiety and frantic agitation (wikipedia)

I never saw panic in my area during the past year.  What behaviors did you see that looked like panic?  Did you or your close friends and family feel panicked?

Have you been to Israel?

Have you seen how people act/react to what they have been made to perceive as dangerous behavior?

Are you aware that Israel is encouraging people to "snitch" on COVID-19 rules violators? In a place that preaches democracy and human rights, would something like this fly in any other scenario other than if the populace was conditioned to feel panic?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 12:19:36 PM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: July 23, 2021, 12:15:45 PM »
Have you been to Israel?
Yes, but not in covid-time.
Have you seen how people act/react to why they have been made to what they perceive as dangerous behavior?
FTFY. Yes, but different behaviors elicit different reactions.
Are you aware that Israel is encouraging people to "snitch" on COVID-19 rules violators?
Just like they've always been encouraged to "snitch" on other dangers, like חפץ חשוד
In a place that preaches democracy and human rights, would something like this fly in any other scenario other than if the populace was conditioned to feel panic?
You still haven't described people showing panic. 

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: July 23, 2021, 12:19:01 PM »
2 weeks to slow the spread.
2 weeks to slow the spread was sold as the solution to the virus.

So your problem is Trump?
Trump wasn't the one to keep it going for over a year. That was the doing of Governors.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: July 23, 2021, 12:19:29 PM »
Why would anyone accept the “opposing voices” as תורה מסיני ? When have they ever accepted any responsibility for the deaths they’ve caused ?

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: July 23, 2021, 12:27:48 PM »

Why would anyone accept the “opposing voices” as תורה מסיני ? When have they ever accepted any responsibility for the deaths they’ve caused ?

A. Who said תורה מסיני? There a long distance between that and silencing.

B. Directly caused? And that's who your picking on for not taking responsibility? There's plenty of blame to go around.
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: July 23, 2021, 12:29:23 PM »
That was your misinterpretation.  Understandably, as you had probably never been through or learned about past pandemics.  I agree that together with the emphasis on "2 weeks to slow" there should have been concomitant education about what to expect after that.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2529 on: July 23, 2021, 12:29:51 PM »
By Trump.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2530 on: July 23, 2021, 12:32:07 PM »

By definition, slowing the spread doesn't solve the virus. The slogan literally says "slows," not "eradicates." The point was to buy time for the medical community to figure out what was going on, how to treat it, and how to prevent it, while keeping the hospitals from getting more overwhelmed than they already were in the interim. Why would anyone think slowing the spread is a solution to the virus? I have never understood this.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: July 23, 2021, 12:32:29 PM »

A. Who said תורה מסיני? There a long distance between that and silencing.

B. Directly caused? And that's who your picking on for not taking responsibility? There's plenty of blame to go around.
People who didn’t take the vaccine because they were scared off, got sick & died.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2532 on: July 23, 2021, 12:33:58 PM »
By Trump.

https://trumpwhitehouse.archives.gov/articles/15-days-slow-spread/

He may have insinuated it in his off-the-cuff ramblings, but the official messaging from the WH never implied anything remotely like what is being claimed here.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2533 on: July 23, 2021, 12:34:51 PM »
Yes, but not in covid-time.
So your answer is NO when adding the implicit timeframe.

FTFY.
Thank you.

Yes, but different behaviors elicit different reactions. Just like they've always been encouraged to "snitch" on other dangers, like חפץ חשוד
חפץ חשוד isn't "snitching" it's alerting to a potential perceived danger. I fully recall the photos that were circulated back in the 70s of potential booby-trapped items, such as a loaf of bread, a book, and the obvious bag. And the tag line was "אל תיגע פן תיפגע".

Some examples.

There's a huge difference, this was about teaching people to be alert to deliberate terrorist acts that were meant to be disguised and kill, whereas most people who aren't 100% adherent (or perceived as not being 100% adherent to COVID-19 rules) have no intention to hurt anyone. Case in point: back in February I knowingly ignored בידוד including visiting at risk facilities. I did that only because I knew that I do not pose any known or perceived danger (despite getting a positive PCR result a few days earlier - which I knew was false). I was subsequently officially released from בידוד once my status (antibodies) were verified.

You still haven't described people showing panic.

The snitching and the hate and attitude we've seen towards Charedim in Israel during COVID-19 times is definitely driven by panic.
-- Dan

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: July 23, 2021, 12:40:10 PM »
The snitching and the hate and attitude we've seen towards Charedim in Israel during COVID-19 times is definitely driven by panic.

CMIIW, but the hate and the attitude towards Charedim is driven by division which has been there for years. Covid is just today's excuse for it. Has the hate gotten to such a completely new high that the old reasons aren't good enough and we need new reasons?

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: July 23, 2021, 12:45:53 PM »
That was your misinterpretation.  Understandably, as you had probably never been through or learned about past pandemics.  I agree that together with the emphasis on "2 weeks to slow" there should have been concomitant education about what to expect after that.
By definition, slowing the spread doesn't solve the virus. The slogan literally says "slows," not "eradicates." The point was to buy time for the medical community to figure out what was going on, how to treat it, and how to prevent it, while keeping the hospitals from getting more overwhelmed than they already were in the interim. Why would anyone think slowing the spread is a solution to the virus? I have never understood this.
It was sold as "life will go back to normal, we just need 2 weeks to get a hold on the situation".

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: July 23, 2021, 12:46:28 PM »
By Trump.
He was the only one who wanted to keep the 2 week timeline.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2537 on: July 23, 2021, 12:47:27 PM »
It was sold as "life will go back to normal, we just need 2 weeks to get a hold on the situation".

Again, only Trump sold that. And he insisted on the messaging being 2 weeks.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: July 23, 2021, 12:48:22 PM »
He was the only one who wanted to keep the 2 week timeline.
Exactly my point. It was never realistic, but now we can laugh about the government saying it would all be over in 2 weeks when only Trump said that it would soon disappear.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: July 23, 2021, 12:53:48 PM »
CMIIW, but the hate and the attitude towards Charedim is driven by division which has been there for years. Covid is just today's excuse for it. Has the hate gotten to such a completely new high that the old reasons aren't good enough and we need new reasons?

The COVID reactions were something totally different IMHO. The videos are out there. Look them up. This is like nothing else.
-- Dan