Author Topic: The current state of COVID-19 in Israel  (Read 292528 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: The current state of COVID-19 in Israel
« Reply #260 on: September 15, 2020, 10:07:48 AM »
Especially when the chareidi areas aren't testing as much as other places.... and they don't have nearly as many positives as other places.
Weren't they more heavily affected in the first wave?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline NTorch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 15, 2020, 10:09:54 AM »
My issue is that I believed in masks 100% until I saw what's happening here in Israel.

We have I'd presume one of the highest rates of mask-wearing outside of Asia and yet we somehow have the highest percentage of new covid cases each day.

Just because a few chareidi neighborhoods don't wear masks that doesn't explain the numbers across the entire country.

I was not in Israel this summer, but all video from Arutz Sheva and Vimeo, YouTube did not make it look like there was overwhelming mask compliance.

I watched the video of the Yishai Ribo concert live from the Citadel and saw him go up into the crowd and sing with them at sunrise. It was emotional for me sitting in my den in NY with offices still locked down. I remarked to my AC who was watching it with me at the time that he must have antibodies, because why would he go into the unmasked crowd and sit with them.

Same with the various Yom Yerushalayim celebrations - the video showed people walking in J'Lem, mostly unmasked.

No, unfortunately I dont live there and don't see the day to day, but video here, even of the Selichos at the Kotel was not showing people wearing masks.

Offline B.D.Da'ehu

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 15, 2020, 10:10:40 AM »
Especially when the chareidi areas aren't testing as much as other places.... and they don't have nearly as many positives as other places.
This is blatantly false.

The positive rate with chareidim is 3-4 times as much as non-chareidim. Besides for Arabs, the chareidim are just a bit worse than them.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #263 on: September 15, 2020, 10:11:57 AM »
This is blatantly false.

The positive rate with chareidim is 3-4 times as much as non-chareidim. Besides for Arabs, the chareidim are just a bit worse than them.

And this is after
Weren't they more heavily affected in the first wave?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline B.D.Da'ehu

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 15, 2020, 10:12:11 AM »
I was not in Israel this summer, but all video from Arutz Sheva and Vimeo, YouTube did not make it look like there was overwhelming mask compliance.

I watched the video of the Yishai Ribo concert live from the Citadel and saw him go up into the crowd and sing with them at sunrise. It was emotional for me sitting in my den in NY with offices still locked down. I remarked to my AC who was watching it with me at the time that he must have antibodies, because why would he go into the unmasked crowd and sit with them.

Same with the various Yom Yerushalayim celebrations - the video showed people walking in J'Lem, mostly unmasked.

No, unfortunately I dont live there and don't see the day to day, but video here, even of the Selichos at the Kotel was not showing people wearing masks.
I live in Jerusalem and have been around.

Mask compliance is almost universal outside of chareidi areas.

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 15, 2020, 10:16:13 AM »
This is blatantly false.

The % rate not the amount of positives. Barely anyone in the chareidi areas tests and that's a fact.

Offline jose34

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 15, 2020, 10:17:36 AM »
I live in Jerusalem and have been around.

Mask compliance is almost universal outside of chareidi areas.
I've found that mask compliance in general on public transportation is close to 100% on the buses, light rail etc...
Walking around really depends on the neighborhood and how hot it is outside....

Offline B.D.Da'ehu

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 15, 2020, 10:20:55 AM »
The % rate not the amount of positives. Barely anyone in the chareidi areas tests and that's a fact.
If you're not referring to the positive rate what are you trying to prove by saying there are barely any chareidim testing positive?

Also, the testing van in Sanhedria Murchevet has lines around the block with people coming to test. There are definitely large numbers of charedim testing every day.

Offline etech0

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #268 on: September 15, 2020, 10:21:55 AM »
I don't think they will arrest anyone for taking off the mask to eat.
No, they just throw them off their flights
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 15, 2020, 10:22:30 AM »

For someone who isn't in israel you sure do post a lot about it... in any case, in public mask compliance is very high in israel and so are infections. So if anything masks are causing the cases .

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 15, 2020, 10:24:01 AM »

If you're not referring to the positive rate what are you trying to prove by saying there are barely any chareidim testing positive?

Let's say 100 people test and 15 test positive so that's a 15% positivity rate but only 15 positives... other areas are taking well over 10× the amount of tests so they have more overall cases.

Offline jose34

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 15, 2020, 10:27:16 AM »
Also  for people with minor symptoms its easier for them to stay home  get better and not get tested then get tested so not everyone is getting tested. Also by not getting a positive test you keep others out of bdidud.

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 15, 2020, 10:30:07 AM »
Also  for people with minor symptoms its easier for them to stay home  get better and not get tested then get tested so not everyone is getting tested. Also by not getting a positive test you keep others out of bdidud.
The way israel handles it, I'm not sure why people test altogether.... I'm all for not testing there. Doesn't change whats going on.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #273 on: September 15, 2020, 10:31:04 AM »
Do you really believe that heavily incentivizing catching it will lead to better outcomes?

Are you asking on a holistic level, or strictly on a number of infections and hospitalizations?

Have we all forgotten about "flatten the curve"? Are the measures being enforced aimed at "flattening the curve" to a manageable level, or are they aiming at some vague (possibly unachievable) reality?

My main point above was not the bracelet, it was about the message that is IMHO more likely to gain compliance and slow the spread.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #274 on: September 15, 2020, 10:31:08 AM »
For someone who isn't in israel you sure do post a lot about it...

Oh, the irony.

in any case, in public mask compliance is very high in israel and so are infections. So if anything masks are causing the cases .

You've progressed to blaming masks for infections? If CV's paintings came with theme songs, yours would be the one from Limbo.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 15, 2020, 10:32:31 AM »
and they don't have nearly as many positives as other places.
Source?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline NTorch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 15, 2020, 10:33:47 AM »
For someone who isn't in israel you sure do post a lot about it... in any case, in public mask compliance is very high in israel and so are infections. So if anything masks are causing the cases .

Hope you are being sarcastic about "masks causing the cases." Take a look at what is going in the Dakotas now where there were no mask rules and they are spiking (no I don't live there, but I do pay attention to the news). Or on college campuses where frat parties where kids go unmasked are causing big spikes and dorm and school closures.

You don't have to live in Israel to care deeply about it, but having a son there this year (and two other kids there for the better part of the last four years) is enough of a reason to stay on top of the news there.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 15, 2020, 10:34:27 AM »

Let's say 100 people test and 15 test positive so that's a 15% positivity rate but only 15 positives... other areas are taking well over 10× the amount of tests so they have more overall cases.
Do you have a large boich? You seem to pull a lot of information from it
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #278 on: September 15, 2020, 10:34:37 AM »
Have we all forgotten about "flatten the curve"? Are the measures being enforced aimed at "flattening the curve" to a manageable level, or are they aiming at some vague (possibly unachievable) reality?

"Flatten the curve" will go down as one of the worst public messaging fiascos of all time. It was a huge marketing blunder. The message should have been "Slow the spread." That's the goal now, and it has always been the goal. Unfortunately, they got the wording wrong in the beginning and people have latched on to the bad messaging as an excuse for abandoning all measures in spread prevention.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 15, 2020, 10:38:21 AM »

Oh, the irony.
I was just there, sorry to disappoint you.
You've progressed to blaming masks for infections? If CV's paintings came with theme songs, yours would be the one from Limbo.
Based on articles people posted about 2 things happening at same time so must be one was causing the other..... this is the exact same thing.