Author Topic: The current state of COVID-19 in Israel  (Read 299979 times)

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: The current state of COVID-19 in Israel
« Reply #400 on: September 30, 2020, 07:26:48 PM »
https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/Flash.aspx/517654

If this is a real quote, then it sounds like big news. Is the same being reported everywhere else? Is there a formal/verbatim statement?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 30, 2020, 07:28:29 PM »
Israeli media is reporting a steep decrease in average hospitalization days before death, suggesting standard of care has already deteriorated significantly R"L

If this is a real quote, then it sounds like big news. Is the same being reported everywhere else? Is there a formal/verbatim statement?
Yes, Ill whatsapp it to you. It doesn't explicitly say not to Daven in shul.

״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 30, 2020, 07:31:41 PM »
Israeli media is reporting a steep decrease in average hospitalization days before death, suggesting standard of care has already deteriorated significantly R"L
Yes, Ill whatsapp it to you. It doesn't explicitly say not to Daven in shul.

R”L is right 😢

Thanks! Any reason not to post it here?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 30, 2020, 07:32:09 PM »
R”L is right 😢

Thanks! Any reason not to post it here?
No. I'm just lazy
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 30, 2020, 07:34:11 PM »

Offline shulemw

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: September 30, 2020, 09:00:37 PM »
@lurker im not smoking anything.

It was just sad to see a lubavitcher chossid to talk so on a chasidus that follows their rabbi

And Sorry for @ExGingi seems I underestimated you (I was just shocked to see you write so and was assuming you wrote so even so you knew what their Rabbi told them)

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #408 on: October 01, 2020, 08:49:50 AM »
Reading comprehension issues?

Article was recently updated. Here's the original opening paragraphs from when @shaulyaakov posted it:

The government overnight voted to tighten coronavirus restrictions and extend the lockdown another three weeks. A decision was also made to close Ben-Gurion Airport from October 1-14.
“The justification is equality,” Head of Public Health Sharon Alroy-Preis said Thursday morning in an interview with KAN News. She was speaking about the closure of the airport. “People in Israel feel they have restrictions, and some people have money and can buy a plane ticket. From a health point of view, there is a risk in flying because [planes] are crowded and closed."
Passengers will still be able to enter the country, so long as they adhere to Israel’s rules upon returning, such as isolating.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 01, 2020, 08:50:25 AM »
Article was recently updated. Here's the original opening paragraphs from when @shaulyaakov posted it:

Sorry @shaulyaakov
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 01, 2020, 09:02:03 AM »
Sorry @shaulyaakov
Thanks. Next time when quoting Israeli media that are notoriously bad at fact based reporting, I should paste the whole quote...

Let me see if I understand - Foreigners can so whatever they want (provided they get an entry permit to begin with and quarantine for 14 days on arrival), but citizens can't leave unless they already purchased a ticket or get an exception?

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 01, 2020, 09:10:30 AM »
נתניהו: היציאה מהסגר תהיה איטית, שנה http://www.kikar.co.il/375461.html

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #412 on: October 01, 2020, 09:27:16 AM »
Thanks. Next time when quoting Israeli media that are notoriously bad at fact based reporting, I should paste the whole quote...

Let me see if I understand - Foreigners can so whatever they want (provided they get an entry permit to begin with and quarantine for 14 days on arrival), but citizens can't leave unless they already purchased a ticket or get an exception?

I spoke to someone yesterday with connections high up regarding visiting with a shortened quarantine (test upon arrival and quarantine until a negative result comes back - about 48 hours) and bemoaned the fact that so many things are senseless. While he agreed with me that a lot is senseless he provided me with the following two tidbits:

1. An individual was granted permission to visit due to a hospitalized parent, based on a test upon arrival and have a shortened quarantine until a negative result comes back (everything was agreed to in advance). Upon arrival, said individual was tested at the airport, and rather than quarantine until results come back, went straight from the airport to the hospital.

2. A certain American entertainer was trying to obtain permission to enter so that he can entertain during Chol Hamoed. He submitted an antibody test in order to get approval for a shortened quarantine. The Ministry of Health contacted the Lab listed on the test to verify, and it was found to be a forgery. (Oh I am glad I resisted the temptation and urging by others to forge test results in order to gain entry without a 14 day quarantine).

These are very unfortunate situations, but IMHO are an outcome of the fact that there isn't a sensible procedure that everyone can follow. Rather, a select few that manage to get the right contacts get special permission, publicity of special permissions granted as well as cases as of the above ruin it for others.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ah giten

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 01, 2020, 09:31:59 AM »
I spoke to someone yesterday with connections high up regarding visiting with a shortened quarantine (test upon arrival and quarantine until a negative result comes back - about 48 hours) and bemoaned the fact that so many things are senseless. While he agreed with me that a lot is senseless he provided me with the following two tidbits:

1. An individual was granted permission to visit due to a hospitalized parent, based on a test upon arrival and have a shortened quarantine until a negative result comes back (everything was agreed to in advance). Upon arrival, said individual was tested at the airport, and rather than quarantine until results come back, went straight from the airport to the hospital.

2. A certain American entertainer was trying to obtain permission to enter so that he can entertain during Chol Hamoed. He submitted an antibody test in order to get approval for a shortened quarantine. The Ministry of Health contacted the Lab listed on the test to verify, and it was found to be a forgery. (Oh I am glad I resisted the temptation and urging by others to forge test results in order to gain entry without a 14 day quarantine).

These are very unfortunate situations, but IMHO are an outcome of the fact that there isn't a sensible procedure that everyone can follow. Rather, a select few that manage to get the right contacts get special permission, publicity of special permissions granted as well as cases as of the above ruin it for others.
Would a lab be allowed to release results?

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 01, 2020, 09:33:34 AM »

They shouldn't be using antibody tests in general.

Also, testing on arrival doesn't accomplish much because of the incubation period. Really, a more balanced approach would be a rapid test on arrival, and then a PCR test 3-5 later. You can exit quarantine if both tests come back negative. So it would cut 14 days to 5-7. Surely, a big difference.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #415 on: October 01, 2020, 09:51:59 AM »
They shouldn't be using antibody tests in general.

Also, testing on arrival doesn't accomplish much because of the incubation period. Really, a more balanced approach would be a rapid test on arrival, and then a PCR test 3-5 later. You can exit quarantine if both tests come back negative. So it would cut 14 days to 5-7. Surely, a big difference.

Because Dr. @shaulyaakov determined that using a rapid test upon arrival followed by a PCR test is more indicative that antibodies (possibly in addition to a PCR test) and a PCR test upon arrival and quarantine pending results.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 01, 2020, 09:53:36 AM »
Would a lab be allowed to release results?

I a person signed a HIPAA waiver, they would be allowed. But in this case we aren't talking about releasing results, but rather verifying whether the document presented is a forgery or not.
-- Dan

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 01, 2020, 10:06:01 AM »
Because Dr. @shaulyaakov determined that using a rapid test upon arrival followed by a PCR test is more indicative that antibodies (possibly in addition to a PCR test) and a PCR test upon arrival and quarantine pending results.
If we were going based off Israel's policy, it's antibodies, positive PCR and negative PCR.

Once we're making up new tests to use, I think my suggestion is more backed by medical science, which has never determined antibodies as a reliable predictor of future immunity. And in fact, we know that people who tested positive for antibodies months ago are getting it. We don't yet know of that means if they would have been tested for antibodies a week before they got sick whether they would have shown as positive or negative. There's just not enough data.

Israel's concern is if someone has the virus when they enter. Whether they had antibodies in April is wholly irrelevant. My comment was also predicated on the fact that if someone contracted the virus in the airport or on the plane, a test on arrival wouldn't catch it, as the minimum incubation period is believed to be 48 hours.

I don't see what bringing test results from months ago is supposed to be showing.

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #418 on: October 01, 2020, 10:08:25 AM »
If we were going based off Israel's policy, it's antibodies, positive PCR and negative PCR.

Once we're making up new tests to use, I think my suggestion is more backed by medical science, which has never determined antibodies as a reliable predictor of future immunity. And in fact, we know that people who tested positive for antibodies months ago are getting it. We don't yet know of that means if they would have been tested for antibodies a week before they got sick whether they would have shown as positive or negative. There's just not enough data.

Israel's concern is if someone has the virus when they enter. Whether they had antibodies in April is wholly irrelevant. My comment was also predicated on the fact that if someone contracted the virus in the airport or on the plane, a test on arrival wouldn't catch it, as the minimum incubation period is believed to be 48 hours.

I don't see what bringing test results from months ago is supposed to be showing.

A recent antibodies test would seem to be the most efficient way.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline ah giten

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 01, 2020, 10:09:24 AM »
I a person signed a HIPAA waiver, they would be allowed. But in this case we aren't talking about releasing results, but rather verifying whether the document presented is a forgery or not.
O don't believe a lab would release any info about a patient, even if just asked if the patient was there.
But a kashe oif a mayseh.