Author Topic: The current state of COVID-19 in Israel  (Read 297543 times)

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: The current state of COVID-19 in Israel
« Reply #660 on: December 27, 2020, 04:32:29 PM »
It isn’t, but in a society with herd immunity R number will remain below 1 so even if there’s active infection it will soon die out. Compared to thousands of daily deaths a day in the US, in the hypothetical reality that everyone was suddenly vaccinated, after a relatively short while (say 2 weeks) COVID would be as much a concern as (gasp) the flu.
Agreed.  If everyone could be vaccinated all at once, then there would be little virus circulating, and a vaccine with 95% efficacy would be close to 100% effective and we could forget about masks and distancing. 

But of course we can't all get vaccinated at once, so for the immediate future, it's important that people understand that masks and distancing are still recommended.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: December 27, 2020, 04:37:01 PM »
Agreed.  If everyone could be vaccinated all at once, then there would be little virus circulating, and a vaccine with 95% efficacy would be close to 100% effective and we could forget about masks and distancing. 

But of course we can't all get vaccinated at once, so for the immediate future, it's important that people understand that masks and distancing are still recommended.

Even in the real world 95% efficacy means someone vaccinated is ~20x less likely to spread COVID (two weeks after their second dose) than someone not vaccinated. Maybe even less likely if the 5% who aren’t immune have lower viral loads than someone not vaccinated.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #662 on: December 27, 2020, 05:02:47 PM »
Even in the real world 95% efficacy means someone vaccinated is ~20x less likely to spread COVID (two weeks after their second dose) than someone not vaccinated. Maybe even less likely if the 5% who aren’t immune have lower viral loads than someone not vaccinated.
Do they have data to show that?  When I was reading about this a couple weeks ago, scientists/doctors were saying that they can't be sure about how much vaccination would decrease the spread.  That is, they thought it was possible that there would be sufficient virus in the respiratory passages, such that a vaccinated person could emit them while speaking, singing, coughing, etc, and thereby transmit the infection, even though they themselves are able to fight it off.  I agree with you that I think it unlikely, but not impossible. 

The question is what we do with that information. 
If your goal is to reassure anxious people that the end of the pandemic is near,  then, yes, I agree, emphasize that it'll probably turn out that vaccinated people don't get sick and don't transmit infection. 
If your goal is to prevent illness, then I would take the opposite tack, emphasizing that we just don't know yet whether vaccinated people can transmit disease, and what factors play a role in their getting covid anyway, and therefore they should continue to mask/distance until a much larger fraction of the population has been vaccinated.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #663 on: December 27, 2020, 05:10:51 PM »
Do they have data to show that?  When I was reading about this a couple weeks ago, scientists/doctors were saying that they can't be sure about how much vaccination would decrease the spread.  That is, they thought it was possible that there would be sufficient virus in the respiratory passages, such that a vaccinated person could emit them while speaking, singing, coughing, etc, and thereby transmit the infection, even though they themselves are able to fight it off.  I agree with you that I think it unlikely, but not impossible. 

The question is what we do with that information. 
If your goal is to reassure anxious people that the end of the pandemic is near,  then, yes, I agree, emphasize that it'll probably turn out that vaccinated people don't get sick and don't transmit infection. 
If your goal is to prevent illness, then I would take the opposite tack, emphasizing that we just don't know yet whether vaccinated people can transmit disease, and what factors play a role in their getting covid anyway, and therefore they should continue to mask/distance until a much larger fraction of the population has been vaccinated.

And what if your goal is to gain credibility so that you can more effectively reach any other intended goal?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 27, 2020, 05:17:40 PM »

If this was true then ceiling fans are more likely to spread COVID than infected people, and house pets as likely to spread it as immune people, and there’s no evidence about either of these. It might be theoretically possible but is less of a risk IMHO than immune people spreading COVID by touch.

Offline Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 27, 2020, 05:25:41 PM »
And what if your goal is to gain credibility so that you can more effectively reach any other intended goal?
Exactly. Public health experts are doing harm to the public health when they mislead the public over and over again.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 27, 2020, 06:15:53 PM »
What do you think that reason is?
@ExGingi's Immunity passports.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 27, 2020, 08:59:59 PM »
If this was true then ceiling fans are more likely to spread COVID than infected people, and house pets as likely to spread it as immune people, and there’s no evidence about either of these. It might be theoretically possible but is less of a risk IMHO than immune people spreading COVID by touch.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.  That we don't know whether immunized people spreading covid is just a theoretical possibility, or if it will occur in reality?  I agree with that.  Or are you suggesting that we should assume the risk will be so low that we should ignore it, and dispense with social distancing?

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #668 on: December 27, 2020, 09:09:14 PM »
Public health experts have to create messages that will be quickly understood by the diverse 300 million people in the country, and they haven't always succeeded at that, leading some to misunderstand what they say.  Although their messages have changed, as scientific knowledge of the pandemic has advanced, I have always found them to be quite credible.  What exactly have you found difficult to believe?   

Exactly. Public health experts are doing harm to the public health when they mislead the public over and over again.

I don't feel that I've been repeatedly misled by public health experts. What do you feel was misleading?

Offline Afrages6

• View Profile
« Reply #669 on: December 27, 2020, 09:27:46 PM »

I don't feel that I've been repeatedly misled by public health experts. What do you feel was misleading?

1. Flattening the curve
2. Masks
3. Vaccines allowing us to get back to normal

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: December 27, 2020, 09:35:34 PM »
1. Flattening the curve
2. Masks
3. Vaccines allowing us to get back to normal
Could you use full sentences?  What were you told about these that was misleading, and who said it?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: December 27, 2020, 10:14:41 PM »
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.  That we don't know whether immunized people spreading covid is just a theoretical possibility, or if it will occur in reality?  I agree with that.  Or are you suggesting that we should assume the risk will be so low that we should ignore it, and dispense with social distancing?

We could dispense with social distancing for people who’ve received their second dose once x% of the population is vaccinated.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 27, 2020, 10:25:29 PM »
We could dispense with social distancing for people who’ve received their second dose once x% of the population is vaccinated.
But the value of x needs to be decided empirically, and it will likely be months before we get there.

Offline Afrages6

• View Profile
« Reply #673 on: December 27, 2020, 10:36:31 PM »
Could you use full sentences?  What were you told about these that was misleading, and who said it?
In March when dr fauci and dr birx said we should social distance for 15 days to stop the spread. Long 15 days no?

When fauci said at the beginning that masks don’t help and then said that he was lying to protect health care workers.

When fauci admitted that he lied about how many Americans needed to be vaccinated before we can get back to normal because he didn’t think Americans could handle the truth.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #674 on: December 27, 2020, 10:47:00 PM »
In March when dr fauci and dr birx said we should social distance for 15 days to stop the spread. Long 15 days no?
That wasn't a lie. He said we should basically lock down for a couple of weeks to mitigate the spread. There was no way for them to know in advance how long it would take or how widespread infection would be, and indeed many restrictions were rolled back at a federal level after several weeks. Dr. Birx didn't say it, considering she wasn't part of the task force at that stage.

When fauci said at the beginning that masks don’t help and then said that he was lying to protect health care workers.
That's not what happened. Fauci said he didn't recommend masks for the public at the time because he didn't believe infection was widespread enough to warrant public mask-wearing and where it was certainly needed was for health care workers. Later, the equation changed as the extent of infection grew and mask production caught up. He also recommended cloth masks and the like which are less proven and less efficacious because the extent of infection warranted at least that.

When fauci admitted that he lied about how many Americans needed to be vaccinated before we can get back to normal because he didn’t think Americans could handle the truth.
This recent admission of his does look quite icky, although anyone who has been following should have realized by now that the number for herd immunity is probably at the 90%+ number, not the 60%-70% being trumpeted around for the last few months. I've posted here extensively on this. It's likely that with time he has come to the same realization as well although I'll grant you that it was quite distasteful of him to make those comments.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #675 on: December 27, 2020, 11:18:13 PM »
But the value of x needs to be decided empirically, and it will likely be months before we get there.

I’m not sure it does. Hopefully by the time 70-80% of the country is vaccinated the spread will be slowed to a point that it might not matter as much. Keep in mind it’ll likely be Spring/summer and the spread will naturally decrease as it is due to things moving outdoors.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #676 on: December 28, 2020, 12:10:30 AM »
Quote from: Afrages6 on Today at 10:36:31 PM
That wasn't a lie. He said we should basically lock down for a couple of weeks to mitigate the spread. There was no way for them to know in advance how long it would take or how widespread infection would be, and indeed many restrictions were rolled back at a federal level after several weeks. Dr. Birx didn't say it, considering she wasn't part of the task force at that stage.

My memory is that the 15 day slogan was a Trump plan, with Trump saying it'll be just till Easter.  Trump announced his "15 days" on March 16, and the next day in an op-ed some public health experts made clear that 15 days was too short:  "No one knows for sure how long social distancing will have to last to reduce the spread to near zero. But if South Korea and China are appropriate exemplars, we’ll need to stay apart now for at least eight weeks, and maybe more... Plan for social distancing at least until mid- or late May, and be thankful if it eases off earlier." 

I found the public health experts to be more credible than Trump.  He later suggested that he had made light of the pandemic early so as to keep peoples' spirits up, but I wasn't taken in by his optimistic scenario.

Offline Jellybelly

• View Profile
« Reply #677 on: December 28, 2020, 01:01:40 AM »
I’m not sure it does. Hopefully by the time 70-80% of the country is vaccinated the spread will be slowed to a point that it might not matter as much. Keep in mind it’ll likely be Spring/summer and the spread will naturally decrease as it is due to things moving outdoors.
Keep in mind millions of us are already immune without the vaccine

Offline Jack out of the box

• View Profile
  • Programs: Chase UR, BA Avios, AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, SPG
« Reply #678 on: December 28, 2020, 01:51:57 AM »
Here in Israel we are in for a week of 70 degrees and sunny. Not exactly the weather that makes most people afraid of the outdoors.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: December 28, 2020, 02:43:17 AM »
I think what people aren't understanding is that there are two types of immunity that can be achieved via vaccine, effective immunity and sterilizing immunity. Effective immunity means that you can still become a host of the virus, but are protected from it having a detrimental effect on your health. Sterilizing immunity means you can't be a host.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5011745/
All that we know so far is that the Covid vaccine provides effective immunity. We don't yet know whether the vaccine provides sterilizing immunity. That DOESN'T mean that the vaccine does not provide sterilizing immunity. It just means we don't yet know if it provides sterilizing immunity.
I don't get why it's so hard for people to understand that absence of proof is not proof the other way.
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.