Author Topic: The current state of COVID-19 in Israel  (Read 292824 times)

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
Re: The current state of COVID-19 in Israel
« Reply #980 on: January 11, 2021, 10:42:35 AM »
On that note, once supply will begin to outpace demand (won't happen in all endpoints/vaccination centers/regions at the same time), what is Israel's plan to mitigate vaccine expiration/waste? This is especially an issue considering there are two vaccines and second dose has to be the same vaccine as the first. Logistical hurdles that have to be planned/optimized for.
Offer it to tourists
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: January 11, 2021, 01:13:57 PM »
On that note, once supply will begin to outpace demand (won't happen in all endpoints/vaccination centers/regions at the same time), what is Israel's plan to mitigate vaccine expiration/waste? This is especially an issue considering there are two vaccines and second dose has to be the same vaccine as the first. Logistical hurdles that have to be planned/optimized for.
Ultimately some will go to waste, but there is talk of selling leftovers to the PA. It seems like Bibbi stuck it in the contract with Pfizer/Moderna, perhaps in an attempt to entice them with credit for a potential reconciliation. May get bodies or etc back right before the elections too. I just hope it doesn't end up convincing the PA to drop the weapons and ask for full Israeli citizenship rights, that's the biggest threat from them.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #982 on: January 11, 2021, 01:25:01 PM »
The first half they're interviewing Israeli doctors and epidemiologists, who say that lockdown is unnecessary.  Then they mention that Sweden is the only country who's done it right, avoiding lockdowns and deaths.  Then they go to some English speaking experts who publicized a document opposing lockdowns (Great Barrington Declaration). 

One of the interviews mentions that "today" is Nov 30, and IIRC it was a few weeks later, in December, that the consensus in Sweden was that their policy had been a failure. 

The documentary is well-done, just one-sided and missing the second half, in which they would have interviewed the experts who disagree with these.  Some of those arguments have been made on DDF and in articles like these:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/19/health/coronavirus-great-barrington.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/19/opinion/coronavirus-herd-immunity.html

You (and I) left out the mention in that video of an existing plan to deal with an epidemic (or pandemic) which the people being interviewed say has been ignored/not-followed.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #983 on: January 11, 2021, 01:31:35 PM »
From what I see here, the Corona denialists are also anti-Vaxists...(at least this vax)

I don't know what you see, and whether "here" refers to DDF or to Israel, but your statement seems to oversimplify things and make them Black and White, ignoring all shades and nuances.

For example, there are many (myself included) who recovered from COVID-19 and THEREFORE will not take any COVID-19 vaccine in the near future, simultaneously urging those whom they believe are at risk and have not previously recovered from COVID-19 to get vaccinated ASAP (case-in-point: there's a high risk individual who splits his life between Brooklyn and EY and is often a guest at my Shabbos table. After speding almost a year in EY, he showed up again here about two weeks ago. I urged him to take the first flight back to EY so that he gets vaccinated, rather than wait until he can get one in NY. All that while I wouldn't consider getting vaccinated myself).

And while I'm not sure what you mean by "Corona denialists", but that might be lumping together a wide spectrum of opinions, and labeling them in an inappropriate way.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline tavster

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
« Reply #985 on: January 11, 2021, 03:29:04 PM »
What the תעודת החיסון is likely to look like.
MoH sent a screenshot to the press

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #986 on: January 11, 2021, 03:51:43 PM »

So sloppy

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: January 11, 2021, 05:01:55 PM »
So sloppy

Both doses at once is most efficient, even more impressive to have both doses done in August of 2020 :D
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Proisrael

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #988 on: January 12, 2021, 01:43:44 AM »
So sloppy

As if Macabbi is giving to someone aged 17 before 2026.

Offline Proisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #989 on: January 12, 2021, 01:44:38 AM »

No oversupply in Maccabi. I am still waiting for my darn vaccine. I have 2 days to get it or I lose my trip to the US.

Offline mijo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA: 1K, HHonors: Dia, IHG Plat
« Reply #990 on: January 12, 2021, 02:09:02 AM »

The idea is good, however, most מכבי secretaries don't know how to add an english name to a profile, there also isn't a field in their system (yet) for a passport number.

FYI - If you're on מכבי ask them to go into the כוכב system - ie, the old one, not the graphic interface, the English name field is there.

NOW the big question - which countries will accept the MOH app? How will this integrate with airlines/iata/gds?

Offline Proisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #991 on: January 12, 2021, 02:22:06 AM »
https://www.ynetnews.com/article/rk00fqhq0v?fbclid=IwAR3vezPd4oPFMyGb6t8NfQ8Nc1Mu2z-l53nF91Rfe90jj-GI-6X_zLTaka0

So in a country in lockdown. With a mask mandate. With almost 2 million people vaccinated we have 10,000 cases a day which would be equivalent to around 830k people in the USA.

Something is missing. Facts are starting to not make sense.

Offline Happyguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: January 12, 2021, 05:05:16 AM »

Offline Happyguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: January 12, 2021, 05:05:38 AM »

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #994 on: January 12, 2021, 05:54:23 AM »
https://www.ynetnews.com/article/rk00fqhq0v?fbclid=IwAR3vezPd4oPFMyGb6t8NfQ8Nc1Mu2z-l53nF91Rfe90jj-GI-6X_zLTaka0

So in a country in lockdown. With a mask mandate. With almost 2 million people vaccinated we have 10,000 cases a day which would be equivalent to around 830k people in the USA.

Curious what you think could be going on

I'm not sure it's that surprising. Real lockdown started on Friday, would have zero effect yet. Spread is like crazy, masks are less effective when prevalence is so bad.
Partial lockdown is more harmful than no lockdown, so we are likely seeing some of the effects of that
Also, the shortening of bidud to ten days with negative tests has led lots more exposed people to be tested - probably catching a lot more asymptomatics then before.
Also, tons of household spread, which probably is exacerbated by lockdown
Less than half the vaccinations are more than ten days out, so vaccination drive will have a muted impact, at least for another week or two

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #995 on: January 12, 2021, 06:32:22 AM »
‏ביקורת על ירידה בקצב החיסונים? שר הבריאות ‎@YuliEdelstein: "הלו, שלשום נחתו החיסונים. אתם כבר מכירים את התהליך של פירוק המגשים והעברתם לקופות החולים. אתם רוצים שישר משדה התעופה זה יגיע לאילת ולמטולה? ברור שלא. צריך יום יומיים להתארגנות". ‎

Vaccinations really slowed down in the last few days. This doesn't make sense, because they had plenty left.

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #996 on: January 12, 2021, 06:36:02 AM »

The amount of tests Israel is making per day, is the equivalent of 4.6 million daily tests in the US, which isn't happening. Also, over a third of the positive tests are from charedim who will be a disproportionate part of cases, due to household size being three times the size, even if spread isn't worse between households. The US doesn't have this.

Online yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: January 12, 2021, 07:28:55 AM »
I don't know what you see, and whether "here" refers to DDF or to Israel, but your statement seems to oversimplify things and make them Black and White, ignoring all shades and nuances.

For example, there are many (myself included) who recovered from COVID-19 and THEREFORE will not take any COVID-19 vaccine in the near future, simultaneously urging those whom they believe are at risk and have not previously recovered from COVID-19 to get vaccinated ASAP (case-in-point: there's a high risk individual who splits his life between Brooklyn and EY and is often a guest at my Shabbos table. After speding almost a year in EY, he showed up again here about two weeks ago. I urged him to take the first flight back to EY so that he gets vaccinated, rather than wait until he can get one in NY. All that while I wouldn't consider getting vaccinated myself).

And while I'm not sure what you mean by "Corona denialists", but that might be lumping together a wide spectrum of opinions, and labeling them in an inappropriate way.

Here is Israel.
Denialists are (this may be a tad too broad) anyone who denies that corona exists or the like. (Its not dangerous at all or the only people who died from Corona were killed by the doctors...)
My observation was that the denialists are anti vax, not that anti vax are denialist.
Go read the Pshkevilim on the walls of JLM, or talk to a Yerushalmi, or Pelegist and you'll might understand where the observation comes from.

(BTW some of the Anti Vax propaganda here is based on absolute rubbish and zero understanding of science. One pashkevill trumpeted the claim that the vaccine is deadly because… in the clinical trials some people died in the control group :))

I have recovered from corona, and also will therefore not take the vaccine. Some of my (low risk) relatives are being urged to take it because they're teachers, and asked me what I thought about it. I told them that I think it prudent for low risk people who are still of childbearing age to allow people who are desperate to get it to take it before them...in other words give it time...at least till there's some data on the affect on fertility, birth defects...
But this doesn't make me anti vax, it makes me cautious. Anti vax is the hashkafa that its asur to take (this) vaccine.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 07:34:59 AM by yfr bachur »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: January 12, 2021, 07:46:27 AM »
Here is Israel.
Denialists are (this may be a tad too broad) anyone who denies that corona exists or the like. (Its not dangerous at all or the only people who died from Corona were killed by the doctors...)
My observation was that the denialists are anti vax, not that anti vax are denialist.
Go read the Pshkevilim on the walls of JLM, or talk to a Yerushalmi, or Pelegist and you'll might understand where the observation comes from.

(BTW some of the Anti Vax propaganda here is based on absolute rubbish and zero understanding of science. One pashkevill trumpeted the claim that the vaccine is deadly because… in the clinical trials some people died in the control group :))

I have recovered from corona, and also will therefore not take the vaccine. Some of my (low risk) relatives are being urged to take it because they're teachers, and asked me what I thought about it. I told them that I think it prudent for low risk people who are still of childbearing age to allow people who are desperate to get it to take it before them...in other words give it time...at least till there's some data on the affect on fertility, birth defects...
But this doesn't make me anti vax, it makes me cautious. Anti vax is the hashkafa that its asur to take (this) vaccine.

The worst kind of anti-vaxxer hides behind “science”. What makes you think fertility/birth-defects are an area of concern more than any other area?

(Not posting as a mod)
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Online yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: January 12, 2021, 11:39:42 AM »
I'm not anti vax at all. I've taken almost all the standard ones, and also some non standard vaccines.
Push comes to shove, It's a new vax, using new tech, and companies have made mistakes before, I'll take them next year.