Author Topic: The current state of COVID-19 in Israel  (Read 292859 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online tavster

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
Re: The current state of COVID-19 in Israel
« Reply #1521 on: February 03, 2021, 04:50:08 AM »

Offline Happyguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: February 03, 2021, 05:32:48 AM »
Can someone who had corona recently get vaccinated as well?

Online tavster

• View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: February 03, 2021, 05:41:02 AM »
Can someone who had corona recently get vaccinated as well?
Per HMO guideline: no

« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 06:01:53 AM by tavster »

Offline Happyguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: February 03, 2021, 06:32:59 AM »
So will I never be able to get it? Is doesn't specify an amount of time when I will be eligible

Online tavster

• View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: February 03, 2021, 06:39:17 AM »
So will I never be able to get it? Is doesn't specify an amount of time when I will be eligible
I think it's just a question of time. Right now it's more about inventory management / making sure the right audience gets it first. IMHO the minute most people get it they will open vaccination to you as well. It's a matter of weeks

Offline yfr bachur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: February 03, 2021, 06:42:46 AM »
The way the stores are keeping the seger in the chareidi area could best be described as:
Mishluchim B'Shirut Atzmi Bilvad

Online Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost

Online tavster

• View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: February 04, 2021, 12:39:44 AM »
Why Israel Can't Celebrate Its Vaccine Success Yet

Thursday, February 4, 2021 07:30 AM
By Zev Chafets

(Bloomberg Opinion) --Israel should be celebrating. More than 20% of its population has been fully vaccinated. Another 15% have been given the first of two jabs and will be protected by mid-February. The government plans to have vaccinated 5 million citizens -- well over half the adult population -- by mid-March, just before Israel’s next election will take place on March 23rd.

Never has a candidate had better talking points on the key issue of the day. Last week the Maccabi health maintenance organization – one of the four HMOs under which Israeli health care, and the vaccine, is administered -- announced that of 163,000 patients who received the full two-shot protocol, 92% were Covid-free after 10 days (and the remaining 8% showed only mild symptoms). Members of a control group of unvaccinated Israelis were found to be 11 times more highly infected.

And yet while Israel has been an undisputed vaccine leader, it is still struggling to contain the virus. This isn’t because the vaccine isn’t working, but because many Israelis still refuse to follow restrictions imposed to limit infections.

Israel began its vaccination program by inoculating the oldest members of the population and those with serious underlying conditions. In cities with high levels of vaccination, there is a 50% drop in confirmed cases, a 40% decrease in hospitalizations and there are 15% fewer serious patients.

"The vaccine's effect is profound," says Professor Eran Segal of the Weizmann Institute. The virus’ basic reproduction rate is under the magic number of one, meaning infection rates should continue to decline.

Even so, January has been a cruel month in which Covid-19 claimed 1,400 victims, about a third of total deaths since the start of the pandemic. Most of these were elderly patients for whom the vaccine did not arrive in time. If Israel is bending the curve, it isn’t doing it as fast as it could be.

Why so many new infections? One big factor is Haredim and Arab Israelis who often flout the social-distancing guidelines and become infected at mass communal events like weddings and funerals. Coronavirus wards of Israel’s hospitals have been filling up with unvaccinated younger patients. Experts here believe that Israel cannot achieve full herd immunity until there is a vaccine that can also be given to children.

For the past three weeks, Israel has, in theory, been under an internal lockdown, scheduled to end this weekend, though that is a matter of political negotiation between the warring coalition partners. In any case, compliance with current measures is poor.

Even the proponents of the lockdown concede that it isn’t doing much to slow the spread of the virus (the vaccine has presumably had the bigger impact on infection rates). But it has played a part in poisoning the atmosphere. This is primarily the fault of a refusal by large segments of the ultra-Orthodox Haredi community to accept government restrictions unless they are approved by senior rabbis.

Recently Netanyahu was reduced to calling Chaim Kanievsky, a 93-year-old Haredi rabbi with influence over a vast network of ultra-Orthodox schools, to ask for his compliance with the nationwide school shutdown. The Prime Minister was informed by Kanievsky’s grandson, that the rabbi would consider it. The classrooms, after a very brief pause, are still open.

On Sunday morning, another nonagenarian rabbi was buried in Jerusalem. Despite strict rules against large gathering, upwards of 10,000 Haredi men and boys accompanied the casket through the capital. Police spokesmen said the police were powerless to resist. For ordinary citizens watching on television, it was a chilling spectacle.

The resurgence of infections is partly blamed on the new British and South African variants. To protect against new variants found abroad, Israel has completely sealed itself off. The Ben Gurion airport is closed to all but emergency travelers and cargo, and will likely remain shut for several weeks. Land entry from Egypt and Jordan (from which Israeli tourists from Dubai had been returning home) are now blocked.

“North Korea and Israel are the only two countries whose citizens can’t get in,” has become a common lament by frustrated Israelis stuck abroad. Netanyahu remains focused on the threat from outside, telling the World Economic Forum that “statistically, it’s just a question of time before there is a strain that the current vaccines do not work with.”

It is the challenge within Israel that is the bigger problem for now. Being a vaccination leader is great. But a country that can’t enforce its own most basic public health measures will take longer to defeat the virus. It also bodes poorly for the future. It may well eventually have to face challenges that can’t be met with a needle.

Zev Chafets is a journalist and author of 14 books. He was a senior aide to Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin and the founding managing editor of the Jerusalem Report Magazine.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: February 04, 2021, 12:46:27 AM »
Vaccination open to anybody 16+

Looks like it’s going to be difficult to convince younger people to get vaccinated
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Proisrael

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #1530 on: February 04, 2021, 02:06:05 AM »
Vaccination open to anybody 16+

Looks like it’s going to be difficult to convince younger people to get vaccinated

For now, but if these hospitalizations of young people continue it should scare enough people to get the vaccine. They need to publicize every case of young people that are dying, they need to show 20-30 year olds on vents. Most of all they need to open the malls/Restaurants/Bars and have VERY strict guidelines not allowing in anyone without a shot.

Online tavster

• View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: February 04, 2021, 02:35:29 AM »
Most of all they need to open the malls/Restaurants/Bars and have VERY strict guidelines not allowing in anyone without a shot.
Have they ever clarified the legal aspects of this?

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: February 04, 2021, 09:44:13 AM »
It's just unbelievable how people spread FUD about the vaccines and take advantage of how most people don't even bother to think if it makes a bit of sense. Those people who are spreading FUD about vaccines are definitely עתיד ליתן את הדין. So many lives that could have been saved if not for their malicious agenda.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1533 on: February 04, 2021, 09:47:54 AM »
It's just unbelievable how people spread FUD about the vaccines and take advantage of how most people don't even bother to think if it makes a bit of sense. Those people who are spreading FUD about vaccines are definitely עתיד ליתן את הדין. So many lives that could have been saved if not for their malicious agenda.
+1K. So sad. And for some reason our community is so susceptible to it :(
It's literally G-d sending us a lifeboat to rescue us and people fearmongering about taking the boat :'(
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: February 04, 2021, 09:52:03 AM »
It's literally G-d sending us a lifeboat to rescue us and saying no thanks  :'(
Not really a mystery ;)

Offline chayal101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: February 04, 2021, 11:52:15 AM »
It's literally G-d sending us a lifeboat to rescue us and people fearmongering about taking the boat :'(
We have a right to choose if we feel comfortable with a fairly new vaccine, please don't argue this point, it is NEW! It's our right & nobody should take that away from us. Covid19 became such a judging matter. You feel like people are creating a 'malicious' agenda & those who don't take the vaccine, are they malicious & evil too?? Yes, there may be lots of conspiracy theories out there, but do we blindly accept or are we allowed to question? Or do we need to rush to put something in our body that we're not sure we want to cuz not enough time has passed to deem it 100% safe??
As of now, I am 100% against mandating the covid19 vaccine.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 01:57:12 PM by chayal101 »
Chaya L.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: February 04, 2021, 11:56:39 AM »
We have a right to choose if we feel ..... You feel like people are creating a 'malicious' agenda

There are plenty of deliberately malicious false claims being made of the vaccine, not merely skepticism, and even those skeptics should educate themselves better before attempting to influence others which may cost them their lives.

Offline chayal101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: February 04, 2021, 12:05:05 PM »
There are plenty of deliberately malicious false claims being made of the vaccine, not merely skepticism, and even those skeptics should educate themselves better before attempting to influence others which may cost them their lives.
I don't see it that way & I believe I'm educated & always ready to research & learn more. I'm not one to accept one way & not look the other. I'm hearing both sides.
Chaya L.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: February 04, 2021, 12:07:20 PM »
I don't see it that way & I believe I'm educated & always ready to research & learn more. I'm not one to accept one way & not look the other. I'm hearing both sides.
You are uneducated about these vaccines, and I'm happy to prove it (see upthread for exhibit A)

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: February 04, 2021, 12:14:00 PM »

Please let’s hear both sides from you then.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael