Author Topic: The current state of COVID-19 in Israel  (Read 297470 times)

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
Re: The current state of COVID-19 in Israel
« Reply #1960 on: March 03, 2021, 10:02:30 AM »
https://twitter.com/yuvharpaz/status/1367074214981828609?s=19
Why would we assume only some were infected before? Since most deaths seem to occur on average 30 days after being infected, that would mean all were infected prior to getting the second dose.

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1961 on: March 03, 2021, 10:16:28 AM »
Why would we assume only some were infected before? Since most deaths seem to occur on average 30 days after being infected, that would mean all were infected prior to getting the second dose.

I'd assume they aren't giving vaccines to people they know are currently infected, which would narrow things down a bit.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: March 03, 2021, 10:20:43 AM »
I'd assume they aren't giving vaccines to people they know are currently infected, which would narrow things down a bit.
IIRC someone posted about people who were symptomatic going to get vaccinated. Even without this, it's very likely that these people were infected between the 2 doses and weren't symptomatic yet by the time they got the second dose.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #1963 on: March 03, 2021, 10:32:39 AM »
Edelstein has stopped posting his daily updates with daily vaccination numbers. Anyone know where else to get those numbers?

It slowed down, because what's left is mostly not the low-hanging fruit.

https://datadashboard.health.gov.il/COVID-19/

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1965 on: March 03, 2021, 01:31:18 PM »
IIRC someone posted about people who were symptomatic going to get vaccinated. Even without this, it's very likely that these people were infected between the 2 doses and weren't symptomatic yet by the time they got the second dose.
Definitely need to wait on this for another couple of weeks. The ratios are fluctuating too much and it’s highly likely that *all* patients who have had their first dose and *most* who’ve had their second were infected prior to their first/second dose. IIRC the average time from exposure to death is around 3 weeks, and I don’t know how much longer after that it takes to access and publish the death/vaccination data, but considering there is a 3 week interval between doses and second doses have only been administered for 6-7 weeks or so at this point it’s impossible to really decipher.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1966 on: March 03, 2021, 02:56:26 PM »
Just realized another possible reason why the vaccine effect isn’t nearly as obvious in those numbers as they should be- the comparison is terrible. 75% of deaths have come from unvaccinated people despite them representing a cohort that includes only 12% of people over 50(!)

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: March 03, 2021, 04:49:10 PM »
Just realized another possible reason why the vaccine effect isn’t nearly as obvious in those numbers as they should be- the comparison is terrible. 75% of deaths have come from unvaccinated people despite them representing a cohort that includes only 12% of people over 50(!)
If there is a 30 day lag from infection to death, you need to see what percentage were vaccinated 30+ days ago.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: March 03, 2021, 04:52:24 PM »
It slowed down, because what's left is mostly not the low-hanging fruit.

https://datadashboard.health.gov.il/COVID-19/
Still doing 40-45K/day which is probably around 5% of eligible non-vax/non-recovered.
I'm sure number will go up now that they are vaccinating machlimim, but to me the important number is # of remaining non machlim/non-vax. Which is hard to come by
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: March 03, 2021, 05:01:10 PM »
If there is a 30 day lag from infection to death, you need to see what percentage were vaccinated 30+ days ago.
I think 30 days is an overestimate. Seeing online it's like 17 days from onset of symptoms, meaning it's around 22-23 days from infection
Plus there seems to be theories that vaccination post infection can be effective as well
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: March 03, 2021, 05:04:04 PM »
Still doing 40-45K/day which is probably around 5% of eligible non-vax/non-recovered.
I'm sure number will go up now that they are vaccinating machlimim, but to me the important number is # of remaining non machlim/non-vax. Which is hard to come by
Now 2 weeks later 52.4% of the population received at least 1 dose. I assume a decent number of those who who tested positive are among the vaccinated. 8.5% of the population tested positive, if we assume half of them got the vaccine, that gives us 56.65% of the population either tested positive or got the vaccine. That leaves only around 13.5% of the population (1.25 million people) eligible for the vaccine but still not immune or vaccinated. This also means Israel was able to vaccinate between 1/4 and 1/3 of the remaining eligible population in the past 2 weeks.
Your 5% estimate is probably on target. While an exact number is hard to come by, we can get a pretty good idea. At the time I posted this I didn't realize they still weren't allowing people who previously tested positive to be vaccinated. Based on that I would update this to assume 61-62% of the population is vaccinated or otherwise immune, close to 30% of the population is too young, leaving approximately 10% of the population (900k-1m people) still eligible for the vaccine.

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #1971 on: March 03, 2021, 05:20:18 PM »
I think 30 days is an overestimate. Seeing online it's like 17 days from onset of symptoms, meaning it's around 22-23 days from infection
Plus there seems to be theories that vaccination post infection can be effective as well
How long does each death take to be reflected in data?
Fair. But it’s definitely not 50/50- there were definitely more (partially) vaccinated than not by end of January.

Online PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: March 03, 2021, 09:25:30 PM »
How long does each death take to be reflected in data?
Israel is a small place, the vast majority of deaths are reported within a day or two.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 09:40:20 PM by PlatinumGuy »
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: March 03, 2021, 09:37:48 PM »
IINM 40-45k/day is all age groups, 5% would be only if they were all 50+
Unless I'm the one who misunderstood, he's saying every day 5% of people who are still eligible to be vaccinated are vaccinated. Based on my calculation above there are roughly 900k-1m people who didn't have COVID and weren't vaccinated, 5% of that would be 45-50k.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1974 on: March 03, 2021, 09:39:00 PM »
Unless I'm the one who misunderstood, he's saying every day 5% of people who are still eligible to be vaccinated are vaccinated. Based on my calculation above there are roughly 900k-1m people who didn't have COVID and weren't vaccinated, 5% of that would be 45-50k.

Seems low... How'd you come to that number?

Online PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: March 03, 2021, 09:41:10 PM »
You're right, my bad.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: March 03, 2021, 09:42:18 PM »
Seems low... How'd you come to that number?
Israel vaccinated ~5m people and there are ~6m adults.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: March 03, 2021, 09:47:28 PM »
Israel vaccinated ~5m people and there are ~6m adults.

3.5m. 1.3m are still waiting on second doses.

Online PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: March 03, 2021, 09:53:23 PM »
3.5m. 1.3m are still waiting on second doses.
@Ergel was discussing people getting first dose. 40-45k/day is around 5% of the remaining eligible population. Overall daily vaccinations including second doses are around 100k.

Netanyahu is predicting the vaccine drive will end at the end of March/beginning of April which is remarkably astute as the rule of diminishing marginal returns makes the daily percentage drop.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: March 03, 2021, 10:00:24 PM »
@Ergel was discussing people getting first dose. 40-45k/day is around 5% of the remaining eligible population.

Missed that. That's why I asked for the calculation.