Topic Wiki

List of Racists
« Last edited by Mordyk on June 11, 2020, 01:00:39 PM »

Author Topic: Is everyone really a racist?  (Read 71967 times)

Offline m65

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Is everyone really a racist?
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2020, 01:57:13 PM »
Did you really just say this?
did u really just doubt that?

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2020, 03:07:02 PM »
Challenge me.
Sure. If I tell my daughter I will only give my approval if she marries a white person is that racist?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2020, 04:07:02 PM »
Sure. If I tell my daughter I will only give my approval if she marries a white person is that racist?
That's called misogynistic.

Offline m65

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2020, 04:43:43 PM »
what if u tell her u only want her to marry a man, are u also damned to the liberal version of hell?

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2020, 05:11:52 PM »
Show me one Rav who wouldn’t take a somewhat harder look at a black who wants to be megayer. There are practicalities involved that don’t necessarily make that Rav a racist. Another question to think about. If young male blacks from the hood are more prone to violent crime does that make one a racist if he is more wary of them in a dark alley? It’s human nature to appraise the odds and react based on that.

Don’t take this the wrong way. Just giving a random example. When I see a squirrel I walk right past because in my experience the risk is low. When I pass by a dog I’m slightly more wary. If it’s a breed like a pit bull I’ve learned to be wary.

There is definitely unwarranted racism out there and it’s is wrong but can you define the point at which it become racist? Or perhaps one is required to erase all prior programming and pretend that the young black males hold no more risk than an older businessman in a suit so he views everything exactly equal?

Offline TheDroid

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2020, 05:27:38 PM »
What I don't understand is why certain race can call themselves using the n-word.

Isn't all this about equality? So if you can use the word I should too. If I can't use the word then you shouldn't too.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2020, 05:28:31 PM »
If young male blacks from the hood are more prone to violent crime does that make one a racist if he is more wary of them in a dark alley? It’s human nature to appraise the odds and react based on that.

I would say this is no more racist than simply citing the statistic that approx 55-60% of violent crime in American is perpetrated by African Americans, a demographic that constitutes 13% of the population.  Facts are just that, facts. Can facts be racist?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2020, 05:32:11 PM »
I would say this is no more racist than simply citing the statistic that approx 55-60% of violent crime in American is perpetrated by African Americans, a demographic that constitutes 13% of the population.  Facts are just that, facts. Can facts be racist?
No. But it is racist to assume that every Black is more likely to be a criminal based on those facts. Because each person is an individual, not a statistic.

Offline zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2020, 05:32:48 PM »

Do you not understand the difference between you telling your daughter who to marry, and your daughter deciding who to marry?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2020, 05:33:00 PM »
Narrow it further to AA males below 40 and the statistics get far more skewed. We’ve had this discussion before. The questions remain, why is this true? What is wrong with our system that things are like this? What can we do to change it?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline m65

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2020, 05:34:42 PM »
Can facts be racist?
never bother convincing a liberal using the word fact
or at all

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2020, 05:39:28 PM »
No. But it is racist to assume that every Black is more likely to be a criminal based on those facts. Because each person is an individual, not a statistic.

Hmm... so you personally would be just as concerned (or not) if you were walking down the streets of Crown Heights at 3:30 AM and saw a group of three male African Americans walking toward you on a lightless street as you would if you saw three male Chassidim?

I'll assume for the purposes of the question you're not racist.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2020, 05:42:41 PM »
Narrow it further to AA males below 40 and the statistics get far more skewed. We’ve had this discussion before. The questions remain, why is this true? What is wrong with our system that things are like this? What can we do to change it?

Assuming, as you appear to do, that the problem is with "our system" and not something to be blamed on, you know, perhaps the perpetrators committing the violent crimes, I will leave the sociologists to answer that question.

The point, however, is the same.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2020, 05:52:16 PM »
Hmm... so you personally would be just as concerned (or not) if you were walking down the streets of Crown Heights at 3:30 AM and saw a group of three male African Americans walking toward you on a lightless street as you would if you saw three male Chassidim?

I'll assume for the purposes of the question you're not racist.
No. But it is racist to assume that every Black is more likely to be a criminal based on those facts and to treat them differently because of it. Because each person is an individual, not a statistic.
FTFM

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2020, 06:00:10 PM »
Assuming, as you appear to do, that the problem is with "our system" and not something to be blamed on, you know, perhaps the perpetrators committing the violent crimes, I will leave the sociologists to answer that question.

What do you mean by blaming the perpetrators committing violent crimes? The psychological makeup of a criminal is very much dependent on the way they were brought up and their life experiences and interactions with the world. People of color also happen to be much more likely to grow up with no father, in poverty, with less education, and with greater distrust of the “establishment”. All of those demographics are also significantly over represented in violent crimes. Adjust for those greatly disproportionate numbers and you’ll find that they’re not disproportionately more likely to commit crime.

Now, back to the question: Why are they more likely to grow up with no father, less education, in poverty, and with greater distrust of establishment? Shouldn’t we be working on those as a way to counter these effects? Hence affirmative action, these protests, etc.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2020, 06:01:42 PM »

You had no problem making a sociological observation about the disproportionate amount of blacks committing crimes, but why didn’t you make the sociological observation about the other factors? Is it because one fits with your worldview and one doesn’t? I’m asking, not assuming.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2020, 06:30:04 PM »
FTFM

Apparently you think it did, but that "fix" doesn't moot the question.

Assuming you would walk across the street in response to one demographic, but not the other is "treating someone differently."

Would you?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2020, 06:34:14 PM »
What do you mean by blaming the perpetrators committing violent crimes? The psychological makeup of a criminal is very much dependent on the way they were brought up and their life experiences and interactions with the world. People of color also happen to be much more likely to grow up with no father, in poverty, with less education, and with greater distrust of the “establishment”. All of those demographics are also significantly over represented in violent crimes. Adjust for those greatly disproportionate numbers and you’ll find that they’re not disproportionately more likely to commit crime.

Now, back to the question: Why are they more likely to grow up with no father, less education, in poverty, and with greater distrust of establishment? Shouldn’t we be working on those as a way to counter these effects? Hence affirmative action, these protests, etc.

I do not disagree that growing up in a household without a father, having children out of wedlock, dropping out of school, etc. are linked to criminal behavior.  I do, however, disagree with your implicit assertion that these things absolve grown adults for adult decisions and behavior.

Only so long you can "blame the establishment" for things outside your control before you have to take ownership of your life.  Let alone those things you can change.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2020, 06:37:22 PM »
I do not disagree that growing up in a household without a father, having children out of wedlock, dropping out of school, etc. are linked to criminal behavior.  I do, however, disagree with your implicit assertion that these things absolve grown adults for adult decisions and behavior.

Only so long you can "blame the establishment" for things outside your control before you have to take ownership of your life.  Let alone those things you can change.
But you are holding them to a higher standard by expecting crime rates to *not* mirror these detrimental factors. What is your goal? If it’s to take revenge on people, fair enough. If it’s to lower crime rates and maximize tolerance in society, the system needs to change. We have come a long way from the way things used to be (slavery) and have a long way to go to get to what we should be striving for (true equality).

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2020, 06:39:35 PM »

Where did you see an implicit assertion that anyone should be absolved of their behavior? All I am asserting is that there *is* something wrong with the system and fixing that *would* go a long way towards fixing the problems you see.