Topic Wiki

List of Racists
« Last edited by Mordyk on June 11, 2020, 01:00:39 PM »

Author Topic: Is everyone really a racist?  (Read 71781 times)

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Is everyone really a racist?
« Reply #140 on: June 10, 2020, 07:13:38 PM »
"Should" means in a perfect, charitable world, where people are willing to lose money to help society. Obviously, it's not always feasible fiscally, and it's not wrong.

Is this really what a store SHOULD do? Why should everyone subsidize a community just because they steal and make it unprofitable to do business there?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2020, 07:19:20 PM »
Is this really what a store SHOULD do? Why should everyone subsidize a community just because they steal and make it unprofitable to do business there?
I should have been more careful with my words. Should was the wrong word.

But it is not "they steal". Rather it is "some within them steal". And for someone who cares about those less fortunate, they may choose to open a store in such a neighborhood.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2020, 07:33:32 PM »
I should have been more careful with my words. Should was the wrong word.

But it is not "they steal". Rather it is "some within them steal". And for someone who cares about those less fortunate, they may choose to open a store in such a neighborhood.
And who should absorb the losses?

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2020, 07:45:51 PM »
The question wasn't if it's a bad idea. The question was if it's racist. If it's driven by profit alone, it's not racist. However, yes, stores should have a social conscience and not implement this. But it's not wrong.
No it is not racist but IMHO it is wrong.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2020, 07:47:22 PM »
I'm going to deflect that question to @CountValentine as he has taken a stronger stance on that than me...

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2020, 07:49:41 PM »
I'm going to deflect that question to @CountValentine as he has taken a stronger stance on that than me...
Send them my way.  :)
Some here think these same thieves will stop stealing. No they will just move on to different stores probably in your community.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2020, 07:53:57 PM »
If it is any of the major chains they would absorb the loss.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2020, 07:54:50 PM »
If it is any of the major chains they would absorb the loss.
Why should their shareholders absorb it?

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 10, 2020, 08:01:53 PM »
Why should their shareholders absorb it?
IMHO businesses have more of a responsibility than just the bottom line. Our views are just different.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #149 on: June 10, 2020, 08:13:22 PM »
If it was purely a cost benefit analysis shouldn’t they steal and then resell at the same rate as stealing for personal use?

Uhm, no?

Folks in the middle and lower class have a limited amount of disposable income.  I imagine that the vast majority of thieves can "afford" buying the $4.00 hair product that is locked up.  Notwithstanding, if they just pocket it and walk out, they can now "save" that $4.00 and use it on something else -- perhaps that cannot be stolen.

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #150 on: June 10, 2020, 08:19:02 PM »
Or it could be “I need it but I’m too poor to afford it”. Well, which is it? I don’t know, but something tells me poverty rates would line up nicely in this equation..

Yea, unlikely.

We're not talking Cadillacs; we're talking shampoo.  And, while I'm sure there are certain folks who may not be able to afford shampoo, frankly, the world over has to make choices each and every day on how to spend, save, sacrifice and splurge.  While your bleeding heart approach is kind, it's terribly misguided IMHO.

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 10, 2020, 08:22:05 PM »
I honestly can't believe I'm reading post after post about how the locking up "isn't racist," but it is "wrong" (by what measure I wonder?) and companies (if they're big corporate chains only?) should just eat the losses, day after day, because they "have a responsibility" (apparently to people more important than the actual owners and shareholders regardless of color) to what...? Become suckers for punishment by way of repeated theft when there is such an easy solution?

My goodness, this world gets crazier every day.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 10, 2020, 08:25:03 PM »
I honestly can't believe I'm reading post after post about how the locking up "isn't racist," but it is "wrong" (by what measure I wonder?) and companies (if they're big corporate chains only?) should just eat the losses, day after day, because they "have a responsibility" (apparently to people more important than the actual owners and shareholders regardless of color) to what...? Become suckers for punishment by way of repeated theft when there is such an easy solution?

My goodness, this world gets crazier every day.
They are locking up items that are being stolen not based on who is stealing them. Home Depot locks up power tools by me. Are they racist?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 10, 2020, 08:28:00 PM »
They are locking up items that are being stolen not based on who is stealing them. Home Depot locks up power tools by me. Are they racist?

1) Have you done a complete 180? You were the one who said half the things I am surprised to read (though, candidly, I shouldn't be surprised to read anything by anyone these days)
2) That is entirely not the same thing.  I assume the "black" hair products cost the same as the "white" hair products, are the same size, and are otherwise just as accessible to the public.  I don't think power tools are the same price as boxes of tape, they're not primarily bought by one ethnicity or race, etc.

Oh, and to answer your question -- obviously no.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 10, 2020, 08:31:51 PM »
1) Have you done a complete 180? You were the one who said half the things I am surprised to read (though, candidly, I shouldn't be surprised to read anything by anyone these days)
2) That is entirely not the same thing.  I assume the "black" hair products cost the same as the "white" hair products, are the same size, and are otherwise just as accessible to the public.  I don't think power tools are the same price as boxes of tape, they're not primarily bought by one ethnicity or race, etc.

Oh, and to answer your question -- obviously no.
180 on what?

Did you comment yet on the original question you pinged us on?

ETA: Are you saying the black hair products are being locked up because the blacks use them and not because they are the highest theft items? Just trying to understand your position.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #155 on: June 10, 2020, 08:34:39 PM »
Yea, unlikely.

We're not talking Cadillacs; we're talking shampoo.  And, while I'm sure there are certain folks who may not be able to afford shampoo, frankly, the world over has to make choices each and every day on how to spend, save, sacrifice and splurge.  While your bleeding heart approach is kind, it's terribly misguided IMHO.
This is exactly my point. What do you think their primary motivation is? If it’s pure greed there is no reason they wouldn’t steal all hair products equally.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #156 on: June 10, 2020, 08:36:01 PM »
Uhm, no?

Folks in the middle and lower class have a limited amount of disposable income.  I imagine that the vast majority of thieves can "afford" buying the $4.00 hair product that is locked up.  Notwithstanding, if they just pocket it and walk out, they can now "save" that $4.00 and use it on something else -- perhaps that cannot be stolen.
Again, why are they willing to resort to thievery for a measly $4? Do you know anyone that would do that? Why would that be? Don’t you think that is something we should perhaps be addressing?

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 10, 2020, 08:36:34 PM »
Just a side note. Don't underestimate the price of these hair products.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 10, 2020, 08:41:32 PM »
180 on what?

Did you comment yet on the original question you pinged us on?

ETA: Are you saying the black hair products are being locked up because the blacks use them and not because they are the highest theft items? Just trying to understand your position.

I mean, I didn't comment directly, but I think my position is evident. I think it is asinine to call it racist for a business to take prudent measures to protect itself from the repeated theft of certain items, regardless of who is stealing them or what is stolen.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #159 on: June 10, 2020, 08:43:57 PM »
I mean, I didn't comment directly, but I think my position is evident. I think it is asinine to call it racist for a business to take prudent measures to protect itself from the repeated theft of certain items, regardless of who is stealing them or what is stolen.
Is it anti-Semitic for the police and Mayor to specifically target Orthodox Jewish businesses, schools, and funerals if they have a higher rate of noncompliance?