Topic Wiki

Food:
  • If you get a piece of eggshell in with the eggs while cracking them, use the other half of the eggshell to fish it out instead of trying to use your fingers or anything else.
  • If you want to separate the yolk from the white, take an empty clean water bottle, squeeze the bottle, place the mouth over the yolk and slowly release the bottle. The yolk will get sucked up into the bottle with minimal/no white.
  • When boiling eggs, add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda to the water. Makes them really easy to peel and doesn't affect the taste.
  • If you have a room temperature bottle (and esp can) that you want to get cold fast, wrap a wet paper towel around it and put it in the freezer. It'll be ice cold pretty quickly.
  • Microwave rice from TJ's
  • Open a can of corn,put salt pepper and cheese on top, microwave or oven it (super easy lunch)
  • 2 slices of old pizza from the fridge, lay them cheese sides on top of each other and put them in a sandwich maker. Instant calzone.
  • For chulent of course.. Using only navy beans, chulent mix a big no no.
  • If you're going to freeze ground beef, put it in a gallon ziploc and squeeze/spread it flat to fill the bag. You can stack them in the freezer and it'll defrost much faster (without the outside spoiling while the inside is still frozen).
  • To easily melt a small amount of chocolate / butter, put it in a ziploc bag and put that into a mug of hot water for a few minutes. No mess! You can cut a hole in the corner to pipe chocolate too.
  • Shredded cheese lasts longer in the freezer, but will clump up, before freezing add a little bit of cornstarch (1tbs) and shake vigorously. The pieces will stay separate and it'll be easy to use.
  • To cool down baby food without blowing at it (which may add your bacteria to the food) wave your hand at it.
Travel:
  • If you want a hot meal on any plane, bring a tradition soup or oatmeal packet and use the free hot water they offer with tea. Great for traveling in general.
  • Before you go on a long flight, freeze a JJ cappuccino.  If it's frozen they let it on the plane. Once you get up from your nap on the plane there is nothing as refreshing as an iced cappuccino. It should still be freezing but not frozen.
  • When packing a suitcase, put your socks inside your shoes. It will save a little space and stop your shoes from getting crushed.
  • The aisle seat armrest usually has a little button underneath by the hinge that allows you to lift it. Makes it much easier to get in and out of your seat, especially if your tray table is open with stuff on it.
  • When we go on trips My wife packs the childrens clothing in individual ziplocs for each day of our trip. Like that she doesn't have to look for all the matching stuff.
Computers:
  • You can open links a in new tab by clicking with the scroll wheel.

Quickly toggle between tabs.

1) Excel and most internet browsers: Ctrl + PgUp/Dn
    2) Google Sheets: Ctrl + Shift + PgUpDn
    3) chrome: control-tab / control-shift-tab
alternatively ctrl+number tab from left

• Widows+V will open up your clipboard with all recent stuff copied.
Every day/Home:
  • If you are drilling into a wall, open an envelope and tape the flap to the wall under where you are drilling and it catches all the plaster/dust that comes out. Makes cleanup after a small drilling a breeze
  • Open glass jars with rubber gloves, Or a rubber band around the lid.
  • When you first open a bottle of soda or seltzer or pop, begin by slowly turning the cap one-quarter turn and wait about 10 seconds, watching for the small bubbles to slow down, and listening as the sssst of escaping gas gets quieter.  Then turn another 1/4 turn, and wait another 10 seconds till it quiets down.
  • If you get chewing gum on your clothes, put the clothes in the freezer for a bit, it will be much easier to remove the gum afterwards.
Stores:

• Check out at the pharmacy in the grocery store when the regular lines are long.
Perscriptions:

• GoodRX.com, even for meds that are covered. My insurance can have a $15 copay, but coupon from GoodRX gets me the medication for $7. When insurance doesn't cover the medication, it's a fraction of the cost. I've seen discounts of 90%
Holidays:
  • After Yom Tov, especially Pesach, make a spreadsheet. What on the menu went over well with guests and kids. What did you run short on and need to have more next time around. What did you way overbuy on. That way there is no need to reinvent the wheel next year.

« Last edited by qooldude on July 07, 2022, 12:22:43 AM »

Author Topic: Life Hacks, Post Your Favorites!  (Read 215813 times)

Offline Joeymc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
Re: Life Hacks, Post Your Favorites!
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2020, 05:14:39 PM »
Lol
Special Coronavirus heter
Is the heter from the same 'rabbi's' who gave a coronavirus heter to use zoom by the Seder?
120 characters? Hmm, I wonder what I could write with 64 characters. Boy, it's gonna be hard to use up 15 characters. W-

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2020, 05:29:20 PM »
Be careful when flying from TLV to the US, they sometimes check for liquid at the gate as they dont at security.
Yea they do but there's a simple trick to avoiding being caught with copious amounts of wine in your carry on 😉 @yitrap
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #142 on: June 11, 2020, 05:51:37 PM »
Don't tell me it was your husband!
Nope!
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Barryg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 11, 2020, 08:31:37 PM »
The new colorless/sugarless sodas, sweetened with Sucralose is notoriously known to explode with bubbles when not opened properly. 
no. I don’t even know why they make those.
Adirondack, deer park, Kirkland, Waterloo, Polar, la croix al make flavored seltzer/sparkling water, no sugar, no sweetener basically just seltzer and natural flavor. On shabbos we mix 20% grape juice and 80% (flavored) seltzer.

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 11, 2020, 08:39:45 PM »
When making homemade pizza on a pan (cast iron is better) partially bake the dough for a few minutes before putting on the marinara , cheese, oregano, etc. That way you end up with a perfect crust instead of half doughy out of the oven.
BBQ pizza dough for quick homemade Laffa.

Offline yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #145 on: June 11, 2020, 08:47:39 PM »
Hydrogen peroxide gets rid of all organic stains from cloth (blood, beet juice, etc.)
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2020, 08:50:02 PM »
Hydrogen peroxide gets rid of all organic stains from cloth (blood, beet juice, etc.)
And it's really cool to watch! Put some in a little spray bottle from the dollar store and spray the stains as soon as they happen for best results.

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2020, 08:50:49 PM »
BBQ pizza dough for quick homemade Laffa.
Second that. Baste the pizza dough with a bit of oil, stretch it out, and throw it on the grill, flipping just before it burns. Tastes amazing.

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 11, 2020, 08:51:46 PM »
Works on white shirts?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline yungermanchik

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2020, 08:55:04 PM »
Works on white shirts?
Yup, Just did it 2 days ago with beet salad that splashed on my white shirt.
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline chief_mag

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 11, 2020, 08:58:49 PM »
To sharpen a pair of scissors, just take some tin foil, fold it over a few times and then cut it a few times with the scissors.

Has worked magic for me ever since I found out about it.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 11, 2020, 08:59:14 PM »

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 11, 2020, 09:01:22 PM »
To measure oil:
Measure the appropriate amount of water
Pour into a plastic cup
Use a sharpie to draw a line at the top of the water
Dump out the water
Pour oil into the cup until the line
Now you don't need to wash the measuring cup! (just let it air dry)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 09:47:30 PM by etech0 »

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 11, 2020, 09:03:01 PM »
Works on white shirts?
When it finishes bubbling (should be just a couple minutes), rinse off the peroxide and see if there is any stain left. If there is, spray it again and watch it bubble. Sometimes it takes a few rounds.

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 11, 2020, 09:46:02 PM »
We used to do this in my dirah:
Take a can of tuna in oil open, cover with 3 squares of TP (if you dont have you can use a napkin or paper towel) and light. It should burn for roughly half an hour and will result in smoked Tuna.

I recommend doing this on the marpeset as it may cause odors.
Israeli Yeshiva bochur version of grilled tuna. (Introduced by my son who picked up the recipe during the last zman).

Open a can of tuna in oil. Place a tissue or napkin flat on top. Make sure the part that is over the can gets soaked in oil. Set the napkin edges on fire, and wait until it burns out (or extinguish after about 30 minutes). Didn't sound very good at first, but it's actually surprisingly good.
This is a famous "lifehack" I've seen all over YouTube. The problem with it is that most cans have a plastic coating to prevent the metally taste which will melt into your food.

And the ones that are metal are usually galvanized which releases toxic stuff until it's burnt off.

Kach shomati (at least as far as I remember)
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 11, 2020, 09:48:54 PM »

Haha mayim chaim company forsure made their seltzer and soda more carbonated just for these guys by kiddushim
I've noticed that when pouring soda into a cup that had grape juice in it from Kiddush it makes the soda bubble up much more than regular. I've noticed this many times I don't know why it happens though.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 11, 2020, 11:03:46 PM »
I've noticed that when pouring soda into a cup that had grape juice in it from Kiddush it makes the soda bubble up much more than regular. I've noticed this many times I don't know why it happens though.
interesting point here how grape juice might fizz up which might ans your question
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #157 on: June 11, 2020, 11:07:46 PM »
#StarbucksMethod @Freddie
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Mtrasb

« Reply #158 on: June 11, 2020, 11:24:53 PM »

It's not just soda.

If you pour water and add some grape juice it will pour and color normally.

If you pour grape juice and then add water, the water-grape juice mix will froth up.

-This is only when there is substantially less grape juice than water.

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 11, 2020, 11:25:40 PM »
Yup or control-click (if you're on a laptop with no scroll wheel).
On that note, control-shift-t will open the tab (or tabs) you closed most recently, and control-shift-n will open an incognito window.
More precisely for laptop specific use, clicking both the right and left click buttons will do the trick.

Widows+V will open up your clipboard with all recent stuff coiped. (Maybe it's sympol but for me it came in very helpful)
On that note:
windows + L to switch users
Windows + E opens explorer (default loads to libraries but can be changed to load my PC)
Windows + X will show a list of useful things that can be accessed by one letter (example windows + x then k will open disk management)

There's more, but these I use most often.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/