Author Topic: ozempic  (Read 7234 times)

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
Re: ozempic
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2023, 11:35:04 PM »
I'm not advocating for ozempic, but a vaccine that doesn't do permanent changes to your body is not a vaccine
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2023, 12:00:28 AM »
I'm not advocating for ozempic, but a vaccine that doesn't do permanent changes to your body is not a vaccine

As I said, I'm not a medical professional and not all that knowledgeable, but the basic idea of a vaccine is to train your body's natural immune response to be able to fight the virus if/when it gets into the body. In the old days it was done by giving the body a "taste" of the virus itself, but with mrna it merely shows the body the "shape" of the virus cell.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2023, 12:14:46 AM »

A vaccine is a compound that causes the body to produce antibodies. Just like antibodies are produced by the body when actually infected by a disease.

Semaglutides are artificial hormones. That's a totally different animal as far as I understand.

I am sure @biobook can weigh in with a better explanation.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2023, 09:01:46 AM »
I'm not a medical professional, but comparing a vaccine, which briefly introduces a protein into the body and then leaves, to a chronic and potent medication that makes drastic changes to your body is worse than foolhardy.

You name the weight loss treatment, I've seen a close relative try it. G-d blessed me with obesity in just about every gene possible in my family tree. The drugs and surgeries invariably don't work, cause huge strains on quality of life, or both. This is not the first time a drug came in the market with seeming miraculous off label weight loss ability. People died from some of them.

Even people that tout ozempic as a miracle will talk about having to throw their guts up, it's just that they feel that suffering is worth it. Perhaps it is, but you're delusional if you think that is the worst of it and that there isn't a strong liklihood for more awful side effects down the road, if not downright deadly ones.

May we all be healthy and happy, without sacrificing one for the other.
You are of course correct, but a middle aged relative of mine (who is also diabetic) is using this and it’s working wonders for him both for his blood sugar and for weight loss. Its key to not underestimate the very significant long term effects of being very overweight and having blood sugar out of control.

There is no question that a vaccine is incomparable to a shot that’s administered weekly over long periods/forever.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2023, 09:32:13 AM »
I'm not a medical professional, but comparing a vaccine, which briefly introduces a protein into the body and then leaves, to a chronic and potent medication that makes drastic changes to your body is worse than foolhardy.

You name the weight loss treatment, I've seen a close relative try it. G-d blessed me with obesity in just about every gene possible in my family tree. The drugs and surgeries invariably don't work, cause huge strains on quality of life, or both. This is not the first time a drug came in the market with seeming miraculous off label weight loss ability. People died from some of them.

Even people that tout ozempic as a miracle will talk about having to throw their guts up, it's just that they feel that suffering is worth it. Perhaps it is, but you're delusional if you think that is the worst of it and that there isn't a strong liklihood for more awful side effects down the road, if not downright deadly ones.

May we all be healthy and happy, without sacrificing one for the other.
No one is disputing that long term safety is currently unknown (although by now it's almost 2 decades), but, to say that throwing up proves that it could be dangerous is a little funny reasoning.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2023, 10:28:22 AM »
You are of course correct, but a middle aged relative of mine (who is also diabetic) is using this and it’s working wonders for him both for his blood sugar and for weight loss. Its key to not underestimate the very significant long term effects of being very overweight and having blood sugar out of control.

There is no question that a vaccine is incomparable to a shot that’s administered weekly over long periods/forever.

Which is why I said:
IMHO it's too risky to use this for weight loss. If needed for diabetes control that's a different story and should be discussed with endocrinologist.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2023, 10:29:39 AM »
No one is disputing that long term safety is currently unknown (although by now it's almost 2 decades), but, to say that throwing up proves that it could be dangerous is a little funny reasoning.

If nothing else, are you aware of the health risks of regularly vomiting?
-- Dan

Offline dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2023, 10:47:45 AM »

My information, from a few people who I know that are currently taking Ozempic, is that they are not regularly vomiting. I heard of some vomiting in the early stage of use as the person gets used to how much and what foods agree with them.
My doctor who is very cautious in general seems to be prescribing Ozempic for people who have some comorbidities. I guess the unknown health risks of a 20 year old medicine have to be carefully weighed against the very known health risks of heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, liver disease and much more - all associated with Obesity.   

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2023, 11:34:17 AM »
Not everyone vomits. If you start slowly and don't jump to a high dose right away, and make sure not eat heavy foods you should not vomit at all or feel nauseous at all.

Offline 12HRS

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2023, 05:59:46 PM »
Its key to not underestimate the very significant long term effects of being very overweight and having blood sugar out of control.

This is the biggest part - Pretty clear what being overweight (High blood pressure as well?) and blood sugar issues will do to a persons body long term.

Ozempic is unclear.

Not advocating one way or another but אין ספק יוצא מידי ודאי

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2023, 03:15:55 PM »
This is the biggest part - Pretty clear what being overweight (High blood pressure as well?) and blood sugar issues will do to a persons body long term.

Ozempic is unclear.

Not advocating one way or another but אין ספק יוצא מידי ודאי

If a doctor is prescribing ozempic for blood sugar issues, or that obesity is currently causing severe health issues, it obviously is a different kettle of fish to someone who is taking it purely for weight loss with no other specific medical concern.

In a general sense, there is no vadaus about the causality of obesity to the health concerns you mention individually. The real term to use here is that society takes a ברי and convinces them they are a שמא.

Obviously, obesity is tied to a myriad of health problems. It is also well-documented that doctors misdiagnose obese patients quite a bit because they just blame the easy target. Doctors still use BMI when they deal with individual patients even though medical establishment consensus is that it is useless as a predictor on an individual basis. I can't tell you how many people I know, myself included, will have doctors look at their blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol, you name it, and say, "(B"H) it is exactly where it needs to be for your age." And then they will say, "but you need to lose X amount of weight," because that's what the chart says. According to the chart I am morbidly obese. Not overweight, not obese; morbidly obese. Anyone here who has met me will likely squint at reading that and think, "he's not *that* big." My genetics and body type being what it is, if I was at the "correct" weight for my age and height according to BMI, people would think I was ill. And yet society - and I'm not just talking about vain standards of "good looks" - will maintain that unattainable goal as "medically necessary".

Usually, people who are overweight are *constantly* struggling. They are using every diet imaginable, trying every method, and I would say, on the whole, the stress and anxieties it causes are worse than the potential ill effects of their obesity. (without even getting into eating disorders and other life threatening mental illnesses that result) Rather than dangle a miraculous cure in front of them that may or may not have disastrous side effects in the near or long term, we should treat the real issue, which is the unhealthy expectations and usually *not* the unhealthy weight.

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2023, 03:42:14 AM »
The real term to use here is that society takes a בריא and convinces them they are a שמא.
FTFY.
 :P
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2023, 07:40:32 AM »
FTFY.
 :P

The pun was very much intended

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2023, 07:56:05 AM »
I'm not a medical professional

Title: Supreme Court Sacks Fake Doc: Yehuda Fiftyseven's License Revoked

In a jaw-dropping twist, the US Supreme Court has given imposter Yehuda Fiftyseven a taste of his own medicine, revoking his medical license. This court ruling serves as a reality check for all those pretending to be what they're not, especially when it comes to healthcare.

It all started when Yehuda Fiftyseven spilled the beans on himself, confessing on DansDeals Forums that he was faking being a doctor. Naturally, this set off alarm bells among the savvy forum users, who promptly reported him to the authorities.

After a series of legal battles, the Supreme Court came to a unanimous decision—Yehuda Fiftyseven had to face the music. The court made it clear that posing as a medical professional is a massive no-no, shaking the foundation of trust that patients have in healthcare providers.

Chief Justice John Roberts, speaking on behalf of the Court, delivered the ultimate mic-drop moment, stating, "Yehuda Fiftyseven's little charade is not only harmful but also makes the whole healthcare system look like a joke. We can't have that."

The yanking of Yehuda Fiftyseven's medical license is a major win for the good guys and a big "uh-oh" for anyone else thinking about pulling off a similar stunt. The message is loud and clear: pretending to be a doc is not just morally questionable; it's illegal and punishable by law.

The ruling has received thunderous applause from medical associations and the general public alike. Dr. Bio Book, President of the American Medical Association, let out a sigh of relief, saying, "Finally, we can focus on real doctors saving lives instead of wannabes causing chaos. Thank you, Supreme Court!"

Yehuda Fiftyseven's case serves as a reminder that the medical field needs Sherlock-level detective skills to weed out the fakers. While these instances are rare, this ruling emphasizes the importance of keeping a sharp eye out for imposters, protecting patients from unqualified quacks.

(In case you can't figure it out, this is by ChatGPT. And even with a number of edits and with me deleting about five paragraphs, I think it lacks real humor.)

Offline dm123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2023, 12:18:37 PM »
Insurers clamping down on doctors who prescribe Ozempic for weight loss
A new class of drugs is causing a public sensation and an industry gold rush, but questions remain about their accessibility to an overweight nation

By Daniel Gilbert

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/06/11/weight-loss-ozempic-wegovy-insurance/

https://archive.is/EgKwl