Author Topic: Are we going too far?  (Read 137761 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Are we going too far?
« Reply #700 on: April 08, 2021, 01:33:17 PM »
They didn't have to hide that they were in the military. They needed to hide certain behaviors.
That’s called not serving openly, which is what I said.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #701 on: April 08, 2021, 01:38:22 PM »
That’s called not serving openly, which is what I said.
I was somewhat picking on your wording, but making a point. They absolutely can serve openly. They cannot serve while openly exhibiting some behaviors. There is no inherent privilege of exhibiting any behavior at all in the military. There are many behaviors one may need to hide while in the military.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: April 08, 2021, 05:30:57 PM »
Would you consider serving in the military openly a 'special privilege'?
Specifically regarding Trans and Questioning and all the other ones relating to gender dysphoria I don't think it's discriminatory that they can't serve. Just like diagnosed bi-polar or the like can't. It's not in anyone's good. I understand why people argue that varied sexual orientation is a normal thing. Normalizing gender dysphoria is beyond me.
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #703 on: April 08, 2021, 06:21:32 PM »
Specifically regarding Trans and Questioning and all the other ones relating to gender dysphoria I don't think it's discriminatory that they can't serve. Just like diagnosed bi-polar or the like can't. It's not in anyone's good. I understand why people argue that varied sexual orientation is a normal thing. Normalizing gender dysphoria is beyond me.
Regardless of whether it’s fair or not, you can’t call being treated equally a ‘special privilege’

I was somewhat picking on your wording, but making a point. They absolutely can serve openly. They cannot serve while openly exhibiting some behaviors. There is no inherent privilege of exhibiting any behavior at all in the military. There are many behaviors one may need to hide while in the military.
So let’s phrase it differently. For LGBTs in the military to be able to have a public love life is equality, not ‘special privilege’.

The vast majority of LGBT rights aren’t giving them anything special
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: April 08, 2021, 06:28:33 PM »

It grants them rights for a certain class of “self-expression” where they aren’t subject to standard military discipline. If a superior comments on anything they can cry discrimination.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #705 on: April 08, 2021, 06:36:35 PM »
It grants them rights for a certain class of “self-expression” where they aren’t subject to standard military discipline. If a superior comments on anything they can cry discrimination.
Example?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: April 08, 2021, 06:41:56 PM »

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: April 08, 2021, 06:47:54 PM »
Regardless of whether it’s fair or not, you can’t call being treated equally a ‘special privilege’
So let’s phrase it differently. For LGBTs in the military to be able to have a public love life is equality, not ‘special privilege’.

If a person is mentally ill (again, I'm referring to gender dysphoria not anything else) then it is definitely a 'special privilege' to be treated equally. The sad thing is that these people have been given (blame wheo you want) so much misplaced validation, validating their issue instead of them as people, that they expect equality. Noone with that level of mental illness would expect that.

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #708 on: April 09, 2021, 12:36:21 AM »
They didn't have to hide that they were in the military. They needed to hide certain behaviors.

The law was not that such-and-such behavior is forbidden, but that such individuals are forbidden to serve.

If a person is mentally ill (again, I'm referring to gender dysphoria not anything else) then it is
definitely a 'special privilege' to be treated equally. [...] No one with that level of mental illness [...]

Excluding people on the basis of mental illness should be according to how it affects their ability to execute their tasks.
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Online yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: April 09, 2021, 01:16:18 AM »
The law was not that such-and-such behavior is forbidden, but that such individuals are forbidden to serve.

Excluding people on the basis of mental illness should be according to how it affects their ability to execute their tasks.

Or perhaps it’s not a great idea to give assault rifles and authority to the mentally ill. If they wanna scrub toilets in the military that’s fine with me.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #710 on: April 09, 2021, 01:40:52 AM »
Or perhaps it’s not a great idea to give assault rifles and authority to the mentally ill. If they wanna scrub toilets in the military that’s fine with me.

Try reading it again, I guess?
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Online yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: April 09, 2021, 01:44:20 AM »

Try reading it again, I guess?

I did and it doesn’t help your cause. Someone with mental illness might be able to execute their task but they might execute others while they’re at it. Being capable doesn’t mean they don’t carry extra risk.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: April 09, 2021, 01:54:55 AM »
"Mental illness" does not have one-size-fits-all implications for duty fitness.

Online yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #713 on: April 09, 2021, 02:15:32 AM »

We’re not talking about OCD or ADHD, we’re talking about gender dysphoria. I confidently believe that delusional people with extremely high rates of suicide should stay far away from the military. But you do you.
Visibly Jewish

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: April 09, 2021, 03:13:03 AM »
I actually agree with the principle, although I don't think it's on the military to try define these things. I  think you would agree that it's something that will vary alot case by case. I don't think it's the army's job to spend resources on developing and implementing metrics for that. Also, it's kind of impossible to do that kind of thing in today's climate.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #715 on: April 09, 2021, 08:49:36 AM »

If they behave that way openly.

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #716 on: April 09, 2021, 02:22:57 PM »
"The act prohibited any homosexual or bisexual person from disclosing their sexual orientation or from speaking about
any homosexual relationships, including marriages or other familial attributes, while serving in the United States armed forces.
The act specified that service members who disclose that they are homosexual or engage in homosexual conduct should
be separated (discharged)..." (Emphasis added)

Or in other words, you're not really allowed to be here, but if we can claim we don't know, we won't kick you out.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 02:32:45 PM by Randomex »

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #717 on: April 11, 2021, 10:53:33 AM »
"The act prohibited any homosexual or bisexual person from disclosing their sexual orientation or from speaking about
any homosexual relationships, including marriages or other familial attributes, while serving in the United States armed forces.
The act specified that service members who disclose that they are homosexual or engage in homosexual conduct should
be separated (discharged)..." (Emphasis added)

Or in other words, you're not really allowed to be here, but if we can claim we don't know, we won't kick you out.
Disclosing is a behavior. It means that I don't care what you do behind closed doors is irrelevant to me, but once people know about it that it causes problems. That may or may not be real problem, but makes sense in theory.

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #718 on: April 11, 2021, 02:11:25 PM »
"Disclosing is a behavior" is not an argument I feel a need to respond to.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile