Author Topic: Are we going too far?  (Read 138564 times)

Online Jellybelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Are we going too far?
« Reply #460 on: February 05, 2021, 12:10:03 AM »
For those joining the conversation now, here’s a picture Greene posted of herself carrying a machine gun with 3 Democrats titled ‘Defeat The Democrats’.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1357464644051419143
That was my point. You’re calling for partisanship by saying Republicans shouldn’t support a single thing Democrats support, and then complaining the democrats are partisan. It’s actually hilarious.
Went right over your head, to simplify, don’t support anything unless they’re willing to come to the middle and negotiate a little. It’s not like the Dems have a massive majority and have a clear mandate from the People

Online Jellybelly

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 05, 2021, 12:10:43 AM »
No she did not
well of course, cuz CNN said so. 🙄

Online PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 05, 2021, 12:12:40 AM »
well of course, cuz CNN said so. 🙄
Easier to attack the other side than back up your claim isn’t it?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online Jellybelly

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 05, 2021, 12:15:04 AM »
The clip I saw was from c span not sure if it was today or not

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #464 on: February 05, 2021, 01:49:58 AM »

https://twitter.com/teampelosi/status/1356610655772631042

I'm all for censuring Ms Space Lasers or whatever, but please, spare me the righteous indignation from the woman who got bullied out of condemning extremism within her own caucus, and All Lives Mattered anti-Semitism. The notion that she has any moral high ground to speak about ridding her party of conspiracy theorists or extremists would be laughable if it weren't so disgraceful.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #465 on: February 05, 2021, 01:59:16 AM »
The clip I saw was from c span not sure if it was today or not
It was today, and while she did not do much apologizing (more deflecting and distracting) she did make one valid point. Her point was that everything she said was in years past as a private citizen and common knowledge to the voters who voted her in, so removing her is kind of like impeaching Donald Trump for the Access Hollywood tape- going directly against the will of the people who voted for her with this information baked in.

A similar pickle to if Roy Moore would have been elected.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 05, 2021, 07:52:20 AM »
It was today, and while she did not do much apologizing (more deflecting and distracting) she did make one valid point. Her point was that everything she said was in years past as a private citizen and common knowledge to the voters who voted her in, so removing her is kind of like impeaching Donald Trump for the Access Hollywood tape- going directly against the will of the people who voted for her with this information baked in.

A similar pickle to if Roy Moore would have been elected.
I agree, but I think there is a difference between impeaching someone from office or removing them from committees. Voters aren't the ones who put them on committees. If other Congressmen think she shouldn't be on committees, it's their prerogative. They may be voted out for that decision, but it's still their prerogative. It's not the same as removing someone from office who was voted in while the knowledge was available.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 07, 2021, 02:16:21 AM »
["-"]

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 07, 2021, 03:58:50 AM »
I personally am very frustrated with Chris Smith for voting with the Democrats on Margery Tailor Green. He’s not is a competitive district, so why give in?

Yes, it is totally understandable that she should be booted from committees. But the need to stand up against Democrat bullies is much more important than booting her. He should’ve voted against it and put out a statement that he would’ve voted to strip her assignments but he would not bow to unprecedented bully tactics.

As a constituent and voter, I am disappointed in you @ChrisSmith.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #469 on: February 07, 2021, 11:16:37 AM »
I personally am very frustrated with Chris Smith for voting with the Democrats on Margery Tailor Green. He’s not is a competitive district, so why give in?

Yes, it is totally understandable that she should be booted from committees. But the need to stand up against Democrat bullies is much more important than booting her. He should’ve voted against it and put out a statement that he would’ve voted to strip her assignments but he would not bow to unprecedented bully tactics.

As a constituent and voter, I am disappointed in you @ChrisSmith.
You are upset that he put what is right over politics? Am i missing something?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 07, 2021, 11:53:04 AM »
You are upset that he put what is right over politics? Am i missing something?
I think it's wrong to allow one party to control the other party's committee picks, as that is an escalation of the partisan nature of politics. I think that a vote against partisan escalation is more important than a vote against an apologetic nut.

So to answer your question. A vote for something right, with strong consequences, is more important than a vote for something right with weaker consequences.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 07, 2021, 12:02:08 PM »
To be really honest, I'm torn about whether Margery Tailor Green should've been stripped of her committee assignments. On one hand, you really don't want to give someone with such a weak sense of believability a position of power, because who knows what she may believe in the future. On the other hand, she issued a strong apology and only said those comments before she was voted into office.

As a wise man once said, if gullibility is a punishable offence, AOC should be stripped of all power after her Instagram video depiction of her experience on January 6.

(Chill out, so what if I make up quotes from wise men. As a wise men once said, if lying would be a punishable offence, there would be no politicians in Washington...)

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #472 on: February 07, 2021, 12:29:24 PM »
she issued a strong apology

Where?

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 07, 2021, 12:33:19 PM »
Where?
She said it on the floor of the House, and in a subsequent press conference the following day. Obviously, she's a politician, and can be just saying the words that she needs to say to propel her career. But the same can be said for almost any apology, and the way apologies go, this one was pretty strong IMO.

See minute 45:45 here - https://www.c-span.org/video/?508492-2/house-votes-remove-rep-marjorie-taylor-greene-committees-230-199

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 07, 2021, 02:20:47 PM »
I think it's wrong to allow one party to control the other party's committee picks, as that is an escalation of the partisan nature of politics. I think that a vote against partisan escalation is more important than a vote against an apologetic nut.

So to answer your question. A vote for something right, with strong consequences, is more important than a vote for something right with weaker consequences.
It is in the best interest of the Republican Party to marginalize the kooks. Even if you disagree with that, it is definitely the opinion of Chris Smith. He is highly unlikley to ascribe to your reasoning. He is more of a centrist R.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 07, 2021, 03:10:25 PM »
It is in the best interest of the Republican Party to marginalize the kooks. Even if you disagree with that, it is definitely the opinion of Chris Smith. He is highly unlikley to ascribe to your reasoning. He is more of a centrist R.
Why can't he marginalize the kooks by issuing a strong statement against her? In the statement he could say that he wished there could've been a traditional, party-line vote to boot her, but since it was done in an unprecedented bullyish way, he was forced to resort to a mere statement.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 07, 2021, 03:13:45 PM »
Why can't he marginalize the kooks by issuing a strong statement against her? In the statement he could say that he wished there could've been a traditional, party-line vote to boot her, but since it was done in an unprecedented bullyish way, he was forced to resort to a mere statement.

For the same reason you wouldnever be satisfied with a "strong statement" against AOC, IO, or RT.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 07, 2021, 03:22:10 PM »
For the same reason you wouldnever be satisfied with a "strong statement" against AOC, IO, or RT.
I think McCarthy is wrong. In fact, I would be happy if Smith would condemn McCarthy for not putting it up for a vote. But two wrongs don't make a right.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #478 on: February 08, 2021, 02:10:18 AM »
She said it on the floor of the House, and in a subsequent press conference the following day. Obviously, she's a politician, and can be just saying the words that she needs to say to propel her career. But the same can be said for almost any apology, and the way apologies go, this one was pretty strong IMO.

See minute 45:45 here - https://www.c-span.org/video/?508492-2/house-votes-remove-rep-marjorie-taylor-greene-committees-230-199
She apologized for her anti-Semitic comments?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 08, 2021, 06:29:37 AM »
She apologized for her anti-Semitic comments?
She didn't delineate every single one of her kook claims, but she said she's sorry for all the stuff she believed.