Author Topic: What Are You Listening To  (Read 23517 times)

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
Re: What Are You Listening To
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2023, 01:13:53 AM »
Quote from: Randomex
Listened last night and today:
The Eli Spitzer Podcast (https://espitzer1.podbean.com) - episode with Rav Shraga Feivel Zimmerman
That was about a recent kerfuffle in the UK over gittin, and was pretty interesting.

That link no longer works. The episode can be heard on YouTube here or on Audible(?) here - https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Eli-Spitzer-Podcast-Podcast/B08JJMVLJ9 - but possibly only with an Amazon account.
(The lists of other episodes available on those 2 platforms may not be identical.)

Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2023, 01:41:06 AM »
The recent Headlines episode on drug/alcohol use by our high-schoolers.
Stream / Download

I also recently listened to an interview with "Rabbi Greenspan"/"Pinchas Lurkowitz"-of-The-Crockpot-Show,
released over 2 episodes of the Kiddush Club podcast.
(I haven't yet listened to any other episodes, but they've had Rabbi Alexander Hool on, so I think
I'll try at least that - it's also the only one with more YouTube plays than the Greenspan ones.)
Part 1 - YouTube / Stream / Download
Part 2 - YouTube / Stream / Download
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2023, 09:55:50 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2023, 06:00:09 PM »

HT: Momo Bauman / Meaningful People

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2023, 05:23:24 PM »

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 26, 2023, 05:58:58 PM »

Does anyone know where the lyrics are from?

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 26, 2023, 06:10:07 PM »
Does anyone know where the lyrics are from?

Most of it comes from the Seder Ha'avoda in chazarat Musaf on Yom Kippur. At least for Sephardim. And much of this prayer comes from the mishna in Yoma.

ETA: see here https://trmarvin.org/the-unbearable-darkness-of-being/ and here https://www.sefaria.org.il/Machzor_Yom_Kippur_Sefard%2C_Musaf_Service%2C_The_Avodah_Service.2?vhe=Machzor_Yom_Kippur&lang=he
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 06:17:57 PM by yuneeq »
Visibly Jewish

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #107 on: September 26, 2023, 06:35:57 PM »
Most of it comes from the Seder Ha'avoda in chazarat Musaf on Yom Kippur. At least for Sephardim. And much of this prayer comes from the mishna in Yoma.

ETA: see here https://trmarvin.org/the-unbearable-darkness-of-being/ and here https://www.sefaria.org.il/Machzor_Yom_Kippur_Sefard%2C_Musaf_Service%2C_The_Avodah_Service.2?vhe=Machzor_Yom_Kippur&lang=he

I think we're all familiar with Seder Avoda. So I would say that's NOT where the lyrics come from.

The lyrics of this song use those words as a seed but interject other lyrics and meanings (counting aveirus, blessings, etc. rather than הזיות). These are obviously MODERN lyrics (you won't find the word פספוס anywhere in חז"ל. And other expressions such as בא ממקום שהוא בא etc. are obviously not in the sources of חז"ל).

ETA: (from Wikipedia) השיר נכתב על ידי ריבו עצמו, ומבוסס על תוכנם של ה"וידויים וההזאות" שנאמרים ביום כיפור בליבה של אמירת סדר העבודה, וגם הולחן והופק על ידיו, בשיתוף עם מאור שושן.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 06:43:48 PM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 26, 2023, 07:28:12 PM »
My question was if there is a source for the actual words, not what is was based on.

I'm puzzled by the actual words. They seem completely inconsistent with the actual order of the events (which is why I'm asking about them).

Case in point - the first lyrics. "Nichnas Lemakom Shenichnas, Amad Lemakom She'amad." Those are words describing the Kohen Gadol going back into the Kodesh Hakedashim. But a few words later is "Pashat Bigdai hachol, lavesh bidai lavan," which happened earlier. A few words later, he says "Ana hashem Kaper... ani ubaisi". That happened before the Kohen Gadol went into the Kodesh Hakedashim for the first time.

That being the case, I'm wondering if this is just a loose song with a bunch of random phrases, or if there is something here I'm missing.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2023, 07:32:26 PM »
My question was if there is a source for the actual words, not what is was based on.

I'm puzzled by the actual words. They seem completely inconsistent with the actual order of the events (which is why I'm asking about them).

Case in point - the first lyrics. "Nichnas Lemakom Shenichnas, Amad Lemakom She'amad." Those are words describing the Kohen Gadol going back into the Kodesh Hakedashim. But a few words later is "Pashat Bigdai hachol, lavesh bidai lavan," which happened earlier. A few words later, he says "Ana hashem Kaper... ani ubaisi". That happened before the Kohen Gadol went into the Kodesh Hakedashim for the first time.

That being the case, I'm wondering if this is just a loose song with a bunch of random phrases, or if there is something here I'm missing.

Yes!!!

It's a nice song, but the name is misleading.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 07:38:47 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2023, 07:42:08 PM »
I think we're all familiar with Seder Avoda. So I would say that's NOT where the lyrics come from.

They’re literally taken from there, and you’re not saying anything different, but you do you.
Visibly Jewish

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2023, 07:48:47 PM »
They’re literally taken from there, and you’re not saying anything different, but you do you.

Take all the lyrics of the song, and compare them to Seder Avoda. I doubt if you'll find 50% match/accuracy (I didn't check). That's beside the point that the lyrics of the song DO NOT DESCRIBE Seder Haavoda (hence @YitzyS questions being meaningless), it is about acknowledging חטאים of a person and חסדים of Hashem using phrases from סדר העבודה. (As a side note: I doubt if anyone counting their sins or their blessings, would count אחת ואחת etc., it simply doesn't make sense - but it's using poetic license)

The name of the song, combined with several quotes and paraphrases from Seder Avoda, is misleading (though it could be referring to every person's personal עבודת השם).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 07:53:13 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2023, 08:22:47 PM »
Take all the lyrics of the song, and compare them to Seder Avoda. I doubt if you'll find 50% match/accuracy (I didn't check). That's beside the point that the lyrics of the song DO NOT DESCRIBE Seder Haavoda (hence @YitzyS questions being meaningless), it is about acknowledging חטאים of a person and חסדים of Hashem using phrases from סדר העבודה. (As a side note: I doubt if anyone counting their sins or their blessings, would count אחת ואחת etc., it simply doesn't make sense - but it's using poetic license)

The name of the song, combined with several quotes and paraphrases from Seder Avoda, is misleading (though it could be referring to every person's personal עבודת השם).
He specifically said that it's from the *Sefardi* nusach.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2023, 09:03:16 PM »
Still doesn't make the order of things correct

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2023, 09:06:58 PM »
Amazing that it is also from tehillim. At least most of the words are literally there.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 27, 2023, 11:04:11 AM »
Still doesn't make the order of things correct
I'm not familiar with the nusach. Maybe the פייטן wrote it that way.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #116 on: September 27, 2023, 11:19:22 AM »

It's 100 degrees, I'm sweating and I grab a drink and say, "ahhhhh, nothing better than an ice cold beer on a hot summer day."
@ExGingi breaks through the wall and says, "Well, actually, if it was ice cold it would be frozen, it's merely cold beer you're drinking. And water is better for you on a hot summer day."

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 27, 2023, 11:34:11 AM »

POIDH!
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 27, 2023, 11:42:17 AM »
It's 100 degrees, I'm sweating and I grab a drink and say, "ahhhhh, nothing better than an ice cold beer on a hot summer day."
@ExGingi breaks through the wall and says, "Well, actually, if it was ice cold it would be frozen, it's merely cold beer you're drinking. And water is better for you on a hot summer day."

Last I checked the euphemism "ice cold beer" and the actual term "cold beer" are more than 50% identical.  :P
-- Dan

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2023, 05:06:29 PM »
I'm not familiar with the nusach. Maybe the פייטן wrote it that way.
The Paytan did not write it out of order.

The Mishnah says: כָּל מַעֲשֵׂה יוֹם הַכִּפּוּרִים הָאָמוּר עַל הַסֵּדֶר, אִם הִקְדִּים מַעֲשֶׂה לַחֲבֵרוֹ, לֹא עָשָׂה כְלוּם. The order is very specific, and can't be changed.