Author Topic: Proposed $4,000 tax credit for travel  (Read 7620 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Proposed $4,000 tax credit for travel
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2020, 07:42:52 PM »
How does that matter? $4000x300m is $1.2T.

You're assuming 300 million Americans have $8k to spend to get $4k back as a credit.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2020, 07:48:04 PM »
How does that matter? $4000x300m is $1.2T. That will move any market.

1) it's 4k per tax filing household. In 2017 there were 153MM personal returns filed, and many households file separately or have dependants filing separately, so it's not 300MM

2) Each household needs to actually spend the cash in order to get the tax credit at year end. I'm sure many households won't afford even 50% of a leisure trip these days.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2020, 07:57:17 PM »
1) it's 4k per tax filing household. In 2017 there were 153MM personal returns filed, and many households file separately or have dependants filing separately, so it's not 300MM

2) Each household needs to actually spend the cash in order to get the tax credit at year end. I'm sure many households won't afford even 50% of a leisure trip these days.
A lot more people will file for free money. There will also be people who go on vacation to use the $4000 and spend more from their own pocket, though some would just replace their own spending with Federal money resulting in zero travel impact. I would assume the total economic impact would be around $500B. The biggest threat I see is that I doubt it will be safe to travel until at least mid 2021, so Trump has little incentive to push it through.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2020, 08:00:39 PM »
A lot more people will file for free money. There will also be people who go on vacation to use the $4000 and spend more from their own pocket, though some would just replace their own spending with Federal money resulting in zero travel impact. I would assume the total economic impact would be around $500B. The biggest threat I see is that I doubt it will be safe to travel until at least mid 2021, so Trump has little incentive to push it through.
People will travel before mid 2021, but it's gonna be tough to get the government to incentivize it.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2020, 08:02:34 PM »

It's a 50% credit, so you need to put out double to get a credit on your tax return. If the average American takes advantage of this, the only winners will be the credit card companies.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2020, 08:04:30 PM »
People will travel before mid 2021, but it's gonna be tough to get the government to incentivize it.
Not at the same levels as before Covid no matter how much government incentivizes it
It's a 50% credit, so you need to put out double to get a credit on your tax return. If the average American takes advantage of this, the only winners will be the credit card companies.
But, that's what America is good at
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2020, 11:35:55 PM »
I really see this as a pointless tax credit. The people who will spend that kind of money to travel will do so anyways without the tax credit and just travel on our dime. The others won't have money to travel.

Smells like a major pork project.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2020, 08:51:48 AM »
I really see this as a pointless tax credit. The people who will spend that kind of money to travel will do so anyways without the tax credit and just travel on our dime. The others won't have money to travel.

I dont think that's necessarily true, your average person doesn't spend $8k on travel/vacation. While some of it they probably were going to spend, people will spend more because of it.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2020, 09:13:36 AM »

I think you're underestimating the US consumer. If there's a hint of a discount or deal, people will go into debt to jump all over it. It's why we have so many sales days in this country, and why our personal debt looks the way it does in the low-to-mid incomes brackets. People will put it on the credit card because "it's free money" and wait for the tax refund check to pay it off (or get comfortable with the payment and spend the refund check elsewhere).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 09:45:45 AM by Lurker »

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2020, 10:09:54 AM »
I dont think that's necessarily true, your average person doesn't spend $8k on travel/vacation. While some of it they probably were going to spend, people will spend more because of it.
What I meant was that people who don't have the money to travel now won't, so the people who are benefiting from this don't need this to stimulate them to spend money on travel.

But maybe @Lurker is right.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2020, 10:15:05 AM »
What I meant was that people who don't have the money to travel now won't, so the people who are benefiting from this don't need this to stimulate them to spend money on travel.

But maybe @Lurker is right.
https://www.creditdonkey.com/average-cost-vacation.html This was the first google result. Assuming it's true, for the average american family to spend $8k they need to spend an extra $3500, almost the entire amount of the proposed credit.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2020, 10:16:48 AM »
https://www.creditdonkey.com/average-cost-vacation.html This was the first google result. Assuming it's true, for the average american family to spend $8k they need to spend an extra $3500, almost the entire amount of the proposed credit.

Look at the per family number, not the per person. Spending double is what Americans do best.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2020, 10:23:23 AM »
Look at the per family number, not the per person. Spending double is what Americans do best.
The per family for a family of 4 is $4,580, if that family wanted to get the full $4k credit they would need to spend an extra $3420.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2020, 10:26:16 AM »
The per family for a family of 4 is $4,580, if that family wanted to get the full $4k credit they would need to spend an extra $3420.

Sorry, I misread what you wrote to mean per person. Still, $3420 is really $1710 because half is coming back, and I think that's money people will spend in order to not miss out on the "free money."

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2020, 10:31:28 AM »
Sorry, I misread what you wrote to mean per person. Still, $3420 is really $1710 because half is coming back, and I think that's money people will spend in order to not miss out on the "free money."
It's still $3420 being spent on the travel sector that would otherwise not be spent.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
["-"]

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2020, 11:36:34 PM »
There's a new version, the TRIP Act (Tax Rebate and Incentive Program) floating around. Again, it's nowhere near becoming law as it will probably need to be packaged into a larger bill, and then passed in both the House and Senate before it goes to the President for a signature. It's in a more advanced stage than the Explore America Tax Credit previously mentioned because that hasn't been introduced as a bill yet, while this one has.

The changes to it are that it's 4k per adult (8k per couple) plus an additional $500 per dependant child. It's a 100% credit instead of only covering 50%, and there's no $50 minimum for eligible expenses.The minimum distance of 50 miles from residency stands, but this one also allows for a standard mileage deduction on top of gas expenses.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2020, 11:43:25 PM »
There's a new version, the TRIP Act (Tax Rebate and Incentive Program) floating around. Again, it's nowhere near becoming law as it will probably need to be packaged into a larger bill, and then passed in both the House and Senate before it goes to the President for a signature. It's in a more advanced stage than the Explore America Tax Credit previously mentioned because that hasn't been introduced as a bill yet, while this one has.

The changes to it are that it's 4k per adult (8k per couple) plus an additional $500 per dependant child. It's a 100% credit instead of only covering 50%, and there's no $50 minimum for eligible expenses.The minimum distance of 50 miles from residency stands, but this one also allows for a standard mileage deduction on top of gas expenses.
Insanity.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2020, 11:47:23 PM »
Insanity.
If I didn't have antibodies this would be a good discrimination case to take up. Those immune will have an easier time psychologically spending this than those worried about getting infected.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2020, 11:54:25 PM »
If I didn't have antibodies this would be a good discrimination case to take up. Those immune will have an easier time psychologically spending this than those worried about getting infected.
Don't tell that to @ExGingi
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.