Poll

Have Recent Events Made You Consider Moving Or Making Aliya?

I'm considering moving elsewhere in the US due to recent events
14 (23.7%)
I'm considering making aliya due to recent events
11 (18.6%)
I will be moving elsewhere in the US due to recent events
1 (1.7%)
I will be making aliya due to recent events
1 (1.7%)
No plans to move anywhere
32 (54.2%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: Have Recent Events Made You Consider Moving Or Making Aliya?  (Read 11961 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Curious if 2020 so far has anyone thinking about making a change.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline davidrotts63

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
Re: Have Recent Events Made You Consider Moving Or Making Aliya?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 11:19:05 AM »
I believe we are both protected wherever we are, and we are in Galus wherever we are. Being in Israel should not make one feel any safer, quite the contrary, getting too comfortable should be concerning.

With that being said, I'm not a worrier, but I don't like where we are now, sadly I'd feel a lot safer in Israel, eitherway I'm still not considering a move.

ETA: I misvoted and apparently there is no way to change it, so it seems I have no choice but to make aliyah now.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 11:21:28 AM »
The following is an email sent to me by a relative:

The American Aliyah - Our Historic opportunity.

If you like this, please forward to your contacts.

This below concept is predicated on Israel's ability to accurately test Olim for Covid-19 ONCE! upon entry, which is a reality. Given the current inaccuracy in tests, medical experts say it would take two tests per person to be sure. Even three tests per oleh are within the current Israeli capacity, and are a small price to pay, per oleh.

Dear Israel,

You are currently contemplating a 100 Billion NIS stimulus package. It is highly questionable if it will work. America has already invested 100 times that amount in stimulus, and we've seen much of it go to waste, and it is questionable if even those funds properly allocated will have significant long term impact. Here is a far better idea for your 100B NIS;
The American Aliyah; Our historic opportunity, is also Israel's best stimulus. 100B invested in one million educated, accomplished, capable, wealthy American olim means hundreds of billions immidiately, and trillions of shekels long term, injected into Israel's economy.

How could it work?

First we need to understand the historical impediments of Aliyah.
Israel's many miraculous stories of mass Aliyah, have one central cause at their origin - persecution. The Holocaust, Arab persecution upon the founding of the State of Israel, Soviet oppression, and European Muslim and Neonazi anti-Semitism, have each resulted in a mass Aliyah, that Israel has facilitated through great sacrifice and expense.

Why has mass American Aliyah  never been a real possibility?
American Jews are comfortable. This comfort can be defined in four ways; Security, society, economy, and family. Let us examine each;

Security; America has been by far the most secure home that Jews have had in its thousands of years in exile.

Society; American Jewry boasts a vast, intricate, and accomplished infrastructure of shuls, schools, and community organizations, as well as an intracommunal economy that enables financial success within the community.

Economy; American Jewry is fantastically wealthy. Within the wealthiest society in the history of the world, American Jews are in the top percentiles in income.

Family (and friends); This is perhaps the greatest impediment to Aliyah. People say "I would make Aliyah, if my brothers, sisters, parents, children, and/or friends would" This presents a cyclical challange. I would go if they would go, and they would go if I would go, so we all stay put.

Due to the pandemic, we are at a historical crossroads, where many, but not all, of the above impediments to American Aliyah are severely diminished;

Security; Two factors are currently in play that greatly diminish the American Jewish sense of security; the dramatic rise in antisemitism, and the threat of death from coronavirus. Recent shul terrorism has rocked American Jewry, and covid-19 has decimated our communities. This in contrast to Israel's miraculous success in combating the pandemic. There is also a real fear that the above two factors may compound, and that in troubled times, G-d forbid, antisemites scapegoat Jews. Unfortunately, now as never before, American Jews do not feel safe.

Society; American Jewish society is clearly greatly diminished. No shuls and no schools until when? No one really knows. We do know the following; Major Jewish organizations are talking about schools staying closed in the fall, and discussing how there may be no synagogue high holiday services. In the last week, without schools, shuls, or steady jobs, thousands of NY/NJ Jews have already migrated to the Catskills and Florida. Society as we know it has ceased to exist, and isn't coming back as it was, anytime soon.

Economy; The global economy, and the American economy in particular, are headed for a great recession, if not depression. How can a mass Aliyah help American Jewry in this challenge? see below.

Which leaves just one major impediment intact; family.

Here is the heart of this idea:
If one million American Jews made Aliyah this summer, the last and greatest impediment to mass Aliyah - family and friends - would be removed. We would all (or most/many) be going. A large financial incentive to spark this mass Aliyah, would be most effective in these uncertain economic times.

The American mass Aliyah. One million American Jews moving to Israel! Such a grand idea needs a spark. 100 Billion shekels could do it.

For one million American Olim, that breaks down to 100,000 Shekels per person. For a family of seven, that equals 700,000 NIS.
That's a huge incentive. How many American Jewish college students and recent collage grads would take 100,000 NIS to make Aliyah? Probably most. Given the scary times we live in, this financial incentive just may be enough to spark the mass American Aliyah.

Here is an additional way to supercharge this concept; frontload it. Give the first one hundred thousand olim double = 200,000 per oleh, and the last two hundred thousand olim half = $50,000 NIS per oleh. This would both get the ball rolling, and create societal pressure to get in early. Our above sample family of seven would probably make Aliyah for 700,000 NIS, especially with the prospect of many of their family and friends going (to a virus free state), but for 1.4 million, its virtually guaranteed to work.

One additional related point;
In these uncertain times, major American Jewish organizations are more influential than ever as American Jews look to them for direction. These organizations support Aliyah. Work with them to implement this plan.

The American Aliyah done in an honorable manner, would create unprecedented stimulus to the Israeli economy. Imagine, one million lovers of Israel, educated professionals and capable business people, making Aliyah at once, bringing with them 100 Billion NIS in financial incentives, AND hundreds of billions in personal wealth. This is not just another mass Aliyah, where persecuted and destitute olim are wards of the state for years, before getting on their feet. Past mass Aliyah initiatives have also come at great financial cost to the state, and this one would certainly cost much, but this mass Aliyah would pay far greater immediate financial dividends. Certainly, far greater economic impact than the current 100B NIS stimulus being proposed.

This is our Historic opportunity. Until a few months ago, none of the above would have been relevant. Please Israel, bring us home.

Libi BaMizrach,

J. L. Miller
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 11:22:04 AM »
I believe we are both protected wherever we are, and we are in Galus wherever we are. Being in Israel should not make one feel any safer, quite the contrary, getting too comfortable should be concerning.

With that being said, I'm not a worrier, but I don't like where we are now, sadly I'd feel a lot safer in Israel, eitherway I'm still not considering a move.

ETA: I misvoted and apparently there is no way to change it, so it seems I have no choice but to make aliyah now.
You can change your vote now.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 01:04:49 PM »
Staying put.  :)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline whacked1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 01:08:42 PM »
Nuts we were just discussing this over shabbos. A family member starting looking at nefesh b'nefesh. I dont believe he was serious though.

He claims, nefesh bnefesh have 60K families making aliyah now!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 01:10:38 PM »
Staying put.  :)
First you need to visit the holy land.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 01:20:14 PM »
I would love to live in Israel, but there are just too many challenges involved. Staying within the US is definitely more likely and not as life-altering.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 01:34:26 PM »
Taking into consideration all aspects it is easier in the US or Israel to be an orthodox Jew?

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 02:13:56 PM »
Taking into consideration all aspects it is easier in the US or Israel to be an orthodox Jew?
Define easier.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 02:22:19 PM »
Define easier.
This, as well as what "orthodox jew" means ;)
But to oversimplify it IMO, the appeal to veer either way is far greater in Israel, while in the US of A it's more routine and "easier" to remain status quo, as our communities are more black and white where we stand.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 02:43:23 PM »
Define easier.
Easier to live among your own, pray, work and a hundred other things you do everyday.
How about this. Is it easier to raise a child as a religious Jew in the US or Israel.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 02:44:36 PM »
This, as well as what "orthodox jew" means ;)
Use what you believe it means.

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 02:48:27 PM »
Use what you believe it means.
It's a scale, I define it the way I live.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2020, 02:56:19 PM »
Easier to live among your own, pray, work and a hundred other things you do everyday.
How about this. Is it easier to raise a child as a religious Jew in the US or Israel.
There is no universal answer. The only thing that's for sure is that uprooting kids from their community hurts them. Broadly speaking, the US Orthodox community is more liberal & has a better relationship with the outside world, but the Israelis prefer the virtues of conservative insolence. A big part of the equation is the far inferior average socio economic position of the Israeli community, however that is improving rapidly.

If I had to guess, I would say the odds of a child becoming 10% less religious are greater in the US, but the odds of a child becoming 100% less religious are greater in Israel.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2020, 03:02:32 PM »

If I had to guess, I would say the odds of a child becoming 10% less religious are greater in the US, but the odds of a child becoming 100% less religious are greater in Israel.
I'd say those same numbers apply for becoming "more religious"

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2020, 03:03:13 PM »
This!

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2020, 03:06:45 PM »
I'd say those same numbers apply for becoming "more religious"
That could very well be, and everything can be attributed to a broader spectrum of acceptable adherence; leading to higher levels of fluctuation and lower levels of all-or-nothing abandonment
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2020, 03:08:07 PM »
Why do you think that 2020 might make people want to move to the holy land? Because COVID hit harder here than there or you figure that people may be viewing COVID as a wake up call from G-d to move to the holy land?
What about the US changing under the current climate (protests)?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2020, 03:10:21 PM »
What about the US changing under the current climate (protests)?
It's all part of Putins plan. Polarize the US to entice the Jews to leave thereby destroying the US  ;D