Author Topic: Covid testing questions (not antibodies)  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Traveler718

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Covid testing questions (not antibodies)
« on: June 19, 2020, 11:39:36 AM »
1) Does anybody know of a place in Brooklyn that does rapid testing? (Yes, I know lab tests are more accurate)

2) Unrelated to #1, we've been strictly SDing until now, but with the summer approaching and our kids needing socialization, we have some cousins who want to come to our house for 1-2 weeks from another city, but I requested that they first get a negative Covid test. They are terrified of nasal swabs, but found a local place offering saliva tests that they're willing to take before coming to us. Are the saliva tests currently available reliably accurate?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Covid testing questions (not antibodies)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 11:41:04 AM »
See if you can get a place that will process self-administered lower nasal swab. Those appear to be just as reliable.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 12:15:29 PM »
1) Does anybody know of a place in Brooklyn that does rapid testing? (Yes, I know lab tests are more accurate)

2) Unrelated to #1, we've been strictly SDing until now, but with the summer approaching and our kids needing socialization, we have some cousins who want to come to our house for 1-2 weeks from another city, but I requested that they first get a negative Covid test. They are terrified of nasal swabs, but found a local place offering saliva tests that they're willing to take before coming to us. Are the saliva tests currently available reliably accurate?
I took this one but it costs $150. Insurance may or may not reimburse.

Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 12:17:48 PM »
I get that it's uncomfortable, but terrified?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Traveler718

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 12:25:03 PM »
Just found this, which looks encouraging:
https://news.wttw.com/2020/06/18/covid-19-saliva-test-accurate-swabs-uchicago-research-finds

I get that it's uncomfortable, but terrified?

After reading the following on DDMS, I myself was nervous and asked the MD if the test had changed, since I found it far less invasive than I was expecting:

I was seen about 40 minutes after they opened and was advised to sit on my hands as the test would be uncomfortable. I’m pretty sure they were swabbing until it came back with brain matter, but at least I’d have answers.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 12:53:11 PM »
Just found this, which looks encouraging:
https://news.wttw.com/2020/06/18/covid-19-saliva-test-accurate-swabs-uchicago-research-finds

After reading the following on DDMS, I myself was nervous and asked the MD if the test had changed, since I found it far less invasive than I was expecting:

I was seen about 40 minutes after they opened and was advised to sit on my hands as the test would be uncomfortable. I’m pretty sure they were swabbing until it came back with brain matter, but at least I’d have answers.
Just depends how machmir the swabber is. That was also day one, so they may be less machmir now.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline sguitarist18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 01:03:20 PM »
I'd be cautious about accuracy of saliva tests.

NYC was offering nursing homes saliva tests to test all their patients, but last I heard it wasn't working out because the lab they're using couldn't prove their saliva tests were actually accurate.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 02:21:28 PM »
Wife got a positive covid test 7 days ago, got monoclonal sat night, and only very light symptoms. when is the earliest to retest where it might come not detected? we have a flight to rome in 7 days (i bh have been testing every 3 days negative)

Offline m65

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 04:18:52 PM »

continue SD'ing.
its too dangerous.
u cant even trust the test results really anyways.
maybe @ExGingi 's test. but otherwise its just not worth it

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2021, 04:46:00 PM »
Wife got a positive covid test 7 days ago, got monoclonal sat night, and only very light symptoms. when is the earliest to retest where it might come not detected? we have a flight to rome in 7 days (i bh have been testing every 3 days negative)
For your wife, it could very well already be negative at this point. For you on the other hand.. when did her symptoms end?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 11:53:16 AM »
For your wife, it could very well already be negative at this point. For you on the other hand.. when did her symptoms end?
never really had symptoms beyond headache and a bit of a cough (kept taste/smell). ended probably sunday, i tested on tuesday night and was negative

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 04:01:56 PM »
continue SD'ing.
its too dangerous.
u cant even trust the test results really anyways.
maybe @ExGingi 's test. but otherwise its just not worth it

Why are you trolling a post from over a year ago?

If she tested positive 7 days ago she might already test negative now/soon. Wishing you negative COVID tests and positive experiences going forward :)
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael