Author Topic: Is Florida less honest than China?  (Read 35585 times)

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Is Florida less honest than China?
« Reply #180 on: July 05, 2020, 01:40:15 PM »
7 day total from Mon - Sun: 59,039 new cases (8,434/day). That includes 3 days with over 10k, and a new US record for new cases in a day in any state of 11,463 on Sat.

For some context, on June 5, FL had reported 61,487 total cases since March 1. They've added 138,624 in the last 30 days, with 42.5% of those in the last 7 days.
Or, as the Miami Herald put it today:

It took three months, from early March to June 22, for Florida to cross 100,000 new confirmed COVID-19 cases.

It took less than two weeks for the state to go from 100,000 to 200,000 cases — and the positive test rate keeps rising.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article244011507.html#storylink=cpy

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #181 on: July 05, 2020, 01:49:25 PM »
For a while I was posting the daily number of positives in Lakewood. I stopped them a while ago because they were insignificant. Here are the last week of daily numbers of positives in Lakewood:
 0, 1, 6, 6, 10, 9 , 5.
When I stopped posting a while back the average was in the teens. Let data and logic be the guide rather than unsubstantiated guesswork.
So you’re on the side of evidence and data, and anyone who says some caution is perhaps still warranted is relying on unsubstantiated guesswork? Got it. Thanks for making yourself clear. (Remind me, did someone once say 90% of Lakewood had it?)

When you stopped posting numbers many if not all of the cases were old cases with lingering virus and not from the frum community. The cases now are presumably all completely new cases, and from what I’m hearing they’re largely (all?) frum people. I was in Friendly urgent care on Friday and they told me they saw 4 new positive cases this week from the frum community. While waiting, two people came in with their children with fever and shortness of breath and they were rushed in to get rapids. I’m unaware of their results.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 05, 2020, 02:50:06 PM »
So you’re on the side of evidence and data, and anyone who says some caution is perhaps still warranted is relying on unsubstantiated guesswork? Got it. Thanks for making yourself clear. (Remind me, did someone once say 90% of Lakewood had it?)

When you stopped posting numbers many if not all of the cases were old cases with lingering virus and not from the frum community. The cases now are presumably all completely new cases, and from what I’m hearing they’re largely (all?) frum people. I was in Friendly urgent care on Friday and they told me they saw 4 new positive cases this week from the frum community. While waiting, two people came in with their children with fever and shortness of breath and they were rushed in to get rapids. I’m unaware of their results.
Caution is reasonable though the degree of caution warranted is debatable. Saying that 8 positives is the tip of the iceberg and unbeknownst to us the 8 probably morphed into 16, 32, 64, 128, 256 etc. is guesswork and is based on the facts at this time.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #183 on: July 05, 2020, 02:52:52 PM »
Caution is reasonable though the degree of caution warranted is debatable. Saying that 8 positives is the tip of the iceberg and unbeknownst to us the 8 probably morphed into 16, 32, 64, 128, 256 etc. is guesswork and is not Bourne our by the numbers at this time.

I think this is a misunderstanding. No one said it already morphed into those numbers. They said that the lack of concern now will like be replicated as we reach those benchmarks, saying, "it's only 16/32/64 etc." The concern is that by the time alarm bells start going off, it may be too late for the precautions to have a significant enough effect.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #184 on: July 05, 2020, 03:02:56 PM »
Caution is reasonable though the degree of caution warranted is debatable. Saying that 8 positives is the tip of the iceberg and unbeknownst to us the 8 probably morphed into 16, 32, 64, 128, 256 etc. is guesswork and is based on the facts at this time.
I guess the real question is, what numbers do you consider warranting concern? It went from 0 to now probably dozens (based on those numbers you posted). That’s presumably only people who are already showing symptoms. So at what point do we enact some (small impact, high reward) restrictions? Encourage more outdoors, masks indoors in close quarters, some social distancing?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Yard sale

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 05, 2020, 03:26:51 PM »
I think this is a misunderstanding. No one said it already morphed into those numbers. They said that the lack of concern now will like be replicated as we reach those benchmarks, saying, "it's only 16/32/64 etc." The concern is that by the time alarm bells start going off, it may be too late for the precautions to have a significant enough effect.
I hear. So they aren’t afraid we will reach hundreds of numbers without it being reflected in the daily official count, rather that increasing numbers will be continually ignored? How do you solve that by trying to get people to pay attention when the numbers are still low?

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #186 on: July 05, 2020, 03:32:22 PM »
I hear. So they aren’t afraid we will reach hundreds of numbers without it being reflected in the daily official count, rather that increasing numbers will be continually ignored? How do you solve that by trying to get people to pay attention when the numbers are still low?

They are afraid it will get there without it showing up in the official count, which is why they want everyone to start taking small precautions, like masks and keeping gatherings outdoors as much as possible. The fear isn't that we're at 250 today. The fear is that by the time 40 people have symptoms and test positive, they will have already spread it to 250. We're at 8 officially right now, and the fear is that there are 4 or 5 times that number walking around in an asymptomatic state. Based on @S209's observation, it's very possible the official count will be higher by tomorrow.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #187 on: July 05, 2020, 03:36:58 PM »
Wow Florida is going bad!
Hashem should help everyone
FL isn't the only state.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Yard sale

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 05, 2020, 03:39:44 PM »
I guess the real question is, what numbers do you consider warranting concern? It went from 0 to now probably dozens (based on those numbers you posted). That’s presumably only people who are already showing symptoms. So at what point do we enact some (small impact, high reward) restrictions? Encourage more outdoors, masks indoors in close quarters, some social distancing?
It’s not that it went from 0 to dozens. The numbers are the new positives in Lakewood recorded each day. I just gave a sampling of the last 7 days, one of which happened to have 0 positives. Going earlier there were days with 3 new positives, days with 5,4,6 etc. per day so nothing has really budged in weeks other than the recent few frum cases among the numbers as was previously mentioned. It’s not that we went from 0 to dozens. We held pretty much steady over the past few weeks (and are actually down from when I was posting them in late May/ early June) .

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #189 on: July 05, 2020, 03:52:34 PM »
This is exactly why we can't compare what happened then to now.
Yes,but can we compare to late February early March?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 05, 2020, 04:18:09 PM »
Or maybe even earlier. One thing is certain, we know what's going on right now and we can keep on top of it with real time data, unlike the the first time around.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #191 on: July 05, 2020, 04:52:02 PM »
Or maybe even earlier. One thing is certain, we know what's going on right now and we can keep on top of it with real time data, unlike the the first time around.
Yes, we can, but will we? Will everyone who is willing to jump on every single hypothesis to say that we are done and accept it as full fact even when they contradict each other actually stop doing that if it cv becomes needed?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 06, 2020, 09:22:12 AM »
Yes, we can, but will we? Will everyone who is willing to jump on every single hypothesis to say that we are done and accept it as full fact even when they contradict each other actually stop doing that if it cv becomes needed?
Time will tell, the freakouts about 3 cases isn't helping. With the experiences of the past few months, doctors should be able to put out guidance as the situation evolves and if need be rabbanim can push everyone to follow the guidance.

Online Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 06, 2020, 09:42:45 AM »
Time will tell, the freakouts about 3 cases isn't helping. With the experiences of the past few months, doctors should be able to put out guidance as the situation evolves and if need be rabbanim can push everyone to follow the guidance.
I don't share the same confidence that this will happen.

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 06, 2020, 11:01:15 AM »
I don't share the same confidence that this will happen.
If rabbanim don't feel it's necessary, why should regular people?

Online Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Is Florida less honest than China?
« Reply #195 on: July 06, 2020, 11:04:21 AM »
If rabbanim don't feel it's necessary, why should regular people?
Because we saw how this played out the first time around, where all the doctors (save for one very prominent pediatrician) begged the rabbanim to close the shuls...and they didn't.

Offline Eb228

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 06, 2020, 11:27:28 AM »
Because we saw how this played out the first time around, where all the doctors (save for one very prominent pediatrician) begged the rabbanim to close the shuls...and they didn't.

And you're suggesting that therefore ppl died, because doctors were right and rabbanim were wrong?

Amazing, so call your doctor next time you're not sure about if you need to repeat shmonei esreh, we can no longer trust these incompetent rabbanim.

Offline Eb228

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 06, 2020, 11:28:17 AM »

No, because we didn't have a sizable percentage of the population with anti bodies at that point in time.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 06, 2020, 11:30:52 AM »
And you're suggesting that therefore ppl died, because doctors were right and rabbanim were wrong?

Amazing, so call your doctor next time you're not sure about if you need to repeat shmonei esreh, we can no longer trust these incompetent rabbanim.
What are you saying?

Offline Eb228

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 06, 2020, 11:32:18 AM »

Full disclaimer: My Daas Torah says that many fewer ppl would have died had we kept shuls open straight through and had the zchus of tefillah bitzibur bbeis midrash on our side. And that it is terrible hashkafa to believe that anyone was harmed from going to shul.

I know that it's not popular opinion on here, and I'm talking to those whose rabbanim ended thinking they should be closed, are you suggesting they were wrong at that time? Don't you trust your rav is supposed to make any and all decisions and has a special siyatta dishmaya in klal matters?