Author Topic: Paying with AMEX MR at travel agent. Do you get BP 35% back?  (Read 1082 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
A travel agent offered me a decent airfare on a trip I am planning. When I told him that if I would book this through AMEX travel using my MR points I would get 35% back. He said that his agency is authorized to pay with points, but didn't know if I would still be eligible for the 35% back for business class booking.

Does anyone know or have experience with this? This is the first I heard about the option to pay with points at a travel agency.

Google search came up with:

https://www.travelagentcentral.com/running-your-business/more-travel-leaders-network-s-new-american-express-partnership

And

https://www.bnttravelgroup.com/pay-with-american-express-points
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline chilipalmer

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Paying with AMEX MR at travel agent. Do you get BP 35% back?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 06:49:19 PM »
I'm assuming you have a business Amex Platinum and that's the 35% you're referring to.

I'm 99% sure the answer is no.

The rules for the 35% back are very, very specific, including the flights being either on your chosen airline or in business class. And there are still further hoops.

I can't see how a travel agency using points as a 3rd party would possibly qualify.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 07:42:48 PM »
I'm assuming you have a business Amex Platinum and that's the 35% you're referring to.

I'm 99% sure the answer is no.

The rules for the 35% back are very, very specific, including the flights being either on your chosen airline or in business class. And there are still further hoops.

I can't see how a travel agency using points as a 3rd party would possibly qualify.

I am obviously referring to business class fare.

I was totally unaware until today that paying with points was even an option at a travel agency.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 08:10:32 PM »
I am obviously referring to business class fare.

I was totally unaware until today that paying with points was even an option at a travel agency.
I wasn't aware of that either, but I have had them cover charges for 35% back in the past, but the last time I did it it was such a hassle and they almost did not want to do it, so this time I did not do it again. For business class it should be easier though.