Author Topic: Can rental company charge you after they close the contract?  (Read 919 times)

Offline tmendy226

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
Hey everyone,

I just rented a car for 10 days from Hertz, picked up SLC downtown and returned at SLC airport. When I returned the car, there was salt around the tires, however the agent there looked around the car and didn’t say anything, closed the contract and gave me a receipt. About 10-15 minutes later when I was already inside the airport I get Another receipt by email with an additional $300 fee for exterior cleaning.

I called hertz and told them that they already closed the contract etc and that if they would’ve told me that there was a problem I would’ve gone and cleaned the car myself but both regular agent and supervisor said that since there’s a note that the manager came later and saw that there was salt on the car there’s nothing that they can do.

It is my understanding that once a rental company closes the contract, they’re agreeing that the car was returned properly and they shouldn’t be able to charge you after that (unless obviously it’s a ticket etc). Is this correct?

Any suggestion on how to proceed?

Offline TheDroid

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Can rental company charge you after they close the contract?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 07:36:22 AM »
Under T&C normally they can.

Now you also have to be truthful here, how did you get salt around the tires. If you've been using the car off-road (they can tell, it's their job), you should have cleaned it and cover up your mess (and sometimes they can still tell, it's their job). Cleaning fee will be the least to worry if you breach the rental agreement.

If this was just driving normally, I suggest calling SLC manager first, then their corporate. I've never heard of anyone charged for cleaning under normal use. Now smoking or spilling coffee, that I've heard few times.

Last resort is file a CC dispute.

Offline ad120

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Can rental company charge you after they close the contract?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 05:45:20 PM »
Under T&C normally they can.

Now you also have to be truthful here, how did you get salt around the tires. If you've been using the car off-road (they can tell, it's their job), you should have cleaned it and cover up your mess (and sometimes they can still tell, it's their job). Cleaning fee will be the least to worry if you breach the rental agreement.

If this was just driving normally, I suggest calling SLC manager first, then their corporate. I've never heard of anyone charged for cleaning under normal use. Now smoking or spilling coffee, that I've heard few times.

Last resort is file a CC dispute.
Dispute=DNR
I'd lose a lot more more than $300 if I would be banned from Hertz.