Author Topic: T-Cell Immunity  (Read 3183 times)

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Re: T-Cell Immunity
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2020, 10:39:39 AM »
There's a new study out from Spain- the aim was to identify if herd immunity is a possibility with no vaccine. The answer based on this study: it isn't. Only 5% of surveyed individuals had developed antibodies.
Sample size was 60k (considered a large scale study).

Another interesting point- those with loss of smell had the highest % of antibodies, while asymptomatic cases had the lowest % of antibodies.

Full study here:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31483-5/fulltext

Some interesting excerpts:
https://twitter.com/ashishkjha/status/1280159342461779968?s=19
A fascinating point I’m seeing repeatedly is that men do not seem to be infected at a higher rate than women (though they seem to exhibit more severe symptoms and die at a higher rate). This stands in contrast to the reality I’ve seen in Lakewood and Brooklyn where I know of many couples where the husband had symptoms/positive tests/antibodies and the wife didn’t, but none in the reverse.

I’m wondering if this points to superspreaders- men are far more likely to have attended superspreader events than women in these communities (like shuls), especially over Purim. I assume in most of secular society women have similar attendance at potential superspreader events.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2020, 10:49:52 AM »
A fascinating point I’m seeing repeatedly is that men do not seem to be infected at a higher rate than women (though they seem to exhibit more severe symptoms and die at a higher rate). This stands in contrast to the reality I’ve seen in Lakewood and Brooklyn where I know of many couples where the husband had symptoms/positive tests/antibodies and the wife didn’t, but none in the reverse.

I’m wondering if this points to superspreaders- men are far more likely to have attended superspreader events than women in these communities (like shuls), especially over Purim. I assume in most of secular society women have similar attendance at potential superspreader events.
I know of multiple couples where the husband doesn't have antibodies, but wife does. Though I believe the husbands did have symptoms (very mild).

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2020, 10:55:20 AM »
I know of multiple couples where the husband doesn't have antibodies, but wife does. Though I believe the husbands did have symptoms (very mild).
Do these about equal infection studies have actual data backing them up?
Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2020, 11:04:56 AM »
Do these about equal infection studies have actual data backing them up?
The study quoted above
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2020, 01:03:51 AM »

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2020, 05:44:07 PM »
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2598-9

34% of blood donors without known history of Covid 19 had a T Cell reaction (May be immunity)
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2020, 12:08:10 AM »

35% of blood donors without known history of Covid 19 had a T Cell reaction (May be immunity)

FTFY

This could be huge, I have a feeling that these T-cells are in fact providing immunity. Otherwise it’s difficult to explain why places like Lakewood seem to have herd immunity without hitting close to 90% infected.
Visibly Jewish

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2020, 11:02:39 AM »

34% of blood donors without known history of Covid 19 had a T Cell reaction (May be immunity)

If the body produces any (even low count of) T-cells, that's enough to definitively overcome any reasonable degree of a COVID infection?

Maybe some T-cells are a normal immune reaction and unless the person has immunity from an infection or vaccine it's fake news and meaningless.

Like, what does "may be immunity" even mean?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2020, 02:13:47 PM »
If the body produces any (even low count of) T-cells, that's enough to definitively overcome any reasonable degree of a COVID infection?
Nobody knows yet.  Could be that it's enough to prevent the virus from reproducing at all, so the person doesn't get sick, or perhaps enough to slow the virus down, so the illness is milder.
Maybe some T-cells are a normal immune reaction and unless the person has immunity from an infection or vaccine it's fake news and meaningless.
The T-cells they're referring to in the article are specific to the coronavirus, and these would not normally be found in the blood of someone who has not been infected with that virus, or a closely related one.  More on specificity and cross-reactivity.

Like, what does "may be immunity" even mean?
I think what was intended was "These people (the 35% who had T-cells that reacted with the current virus despite no exposure to the virus) may be immune to further infection with the current virus."

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile