Author Topic: Are there patterns to the debut and cancellation of signup bonuses?  (Read 1192 times)

Offline bem684

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Has anyone tracked the dates that Chase, Citi, or Amex release new signup bonuses throughout each year, and when they cancel them?  I'm thinking if there are any known patterns we can all take advantage by making sure to hold out on applications in the weeks preceding "hot" times, as well as pacing our spending habits to align with such times.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Are there patterns to the debut and cancellation of signup bonuses?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 09:31:32 PM »
Has anyone tracked the dates that Chase, Citi, or Amex release new signup bonuses throughout each year, and when they cancel them?  I'm thinking if there are any known patterns we can all take advantage by making sure to hold out on applications in the weeks preceding "hot" times, as well as pacing our spending habits to align with such times.

I haven't noticed anything, but maybe if someone makes some suggestions I might be enlightened and agree.

Just one thing, I don't think holding off 'for weeks' is sufficient, as most of the time an analyst will look at your activity for the past three (sometimes up to six) months when evaluating you for credit.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline scwam

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 09:52:51 PM »
Maybe 3 months before tax refunds. I can imagine the banks would want to capitalize on people who like to drop their money as soon as they get it.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 10:07:02 PM »
Maybe 3 months before tax refunds. I can imagine the banks would want to capitalize on people who like to drop their money as soon as they get it.

It make sense, but have you noticed a trend of signup-bonus promotions early January? I don't know if people would be so quick to sign up at that time of year, since they're still recovering from their holiday shopping sprees.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline bem684

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
It would make sense to me if they released new bonuses in spring, when many people start thinking about taking their summer vacations, since most of the bonuses are redeemable towards travel (and incidentally most people won't meet the spending requirements in time for their points to post before summer begins).