Author Topic: Corona Time 3 Day Getaway to the Berkshires  (Read 40642 times)

Offline kivabb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Corona Time 3 Day Getaway to the Berkshires
« on: July 01, 2020, 11:08:06 PM »
With Quarantine blues, some of the kids camps cancelling, and trying to bring some fun as we try to transition back into normalcy, I tried to find a 2-3 day getaway to have some good family time outside the house.

I was hoping Busch Gardens Williamsburg would open as that has been a fun safe getaway for us in the past, but they kept delaying their opening so I ruled that out.

With just about everything indoor closed, and many hotels closed, we needed to find something outdoors where in the same area we could find normal (affordable) lodging....but we kept encountering closures.

In the end, we managed to find a real nice getaway, so my wife and I (and 8 kids) headed north to Massachusetts. I literally spent 10+ hours planning this short getaway, so I'm sharing in the hopes that if someone is in my situation that they will benefit from my research.

Transportation - We departed from Lakewood with both our cars. My oldest daughter drives, so that allowed my wife and I some quality time together in the front seat (which is almost non existent when the kids are practicing to drive and we're travelling as a family).

Lodging - With absolute divine intervention, I came across a Fairfield Inn & Suites in Williamstown MA, for 5K Marriott points a night! We needed 4 rooms for 2 nights, which was a total 40K point total. The hotel opened in December and it was clean and comfy and a great base to some of the places we planned to visit. The pool and fitness room were closed, and they make you wear face masks in the public areas. Overall, I felt I finally some good usage for my Marriott points. https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/albfw-fairfield-inn-and-suites-williamstown/

Food - Fairfield Hotels only have mini fridges and I'm always wondering if those things really work or not, so thanks to our trusty bear bags (we brought 3 of them) we're able to keep everything cold or frozen without the fridge. We got one of these Portable Gas Grill from Walmart (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Expert-Grill-17-5-10-000-BTU-Portable-Gas-Grill-Black/238454155) with a few mini propane tanks. We also brought a sandwich maker. So sandwich makers and homemade muffins for breakfast, cold-cut sandwiches and wraps for lunch, and marinated shnitzel, hot dogs and hamburgers for dinner. We usually bring a few cases of Tradition Soups as well as an insurance policy. The hotel served a grab and go breakfast that consisted of a OUD granola bar and muffin as well as a water bottle. For us it was was a waste of time, but they did say it varies by day.

Activities -
Day 1 - We departed Lakewood at about Noon. The drive direct to the hotel was roughly 4 hours, so I was looking for something en-route that we can break up the drive. Literally 10 minutes out of the way I came across Minnewaska State Park that was the perfect find. Entrance fee was $10 per car. We did a beautiful 1 hour small hike to Awosting Falls. It's beautiful and the kids loved it! We also did a 2 mile walk around the Lake Minnewaska Loop. Both would be accessible with a decent stroller. We then had a picnic dinner before heading towards the hotel. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g47994-d105820-Reviews-Minnewaska_State_Park_Preserve-Kerhonkson_Catskill_Region_New_York.html

Day 2 -
Natural Bridge State Park - Literally 10-15 minutes from hotel, this (free) stop was beautiful and fun. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g41715-d218997-Reviews-Natural_Bridge_State_Park-North_Adams_Massachusetts.html
Berkshire U-Drive Rent-A-Boat on Pontoosuc Lake - Just 25 minutes from hotel this was also a great find. 10 person pontoon was $206 including tax for 2 hours. The kids got to jump in the water and it was great fun. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g41769-d14138048-Reviews-U_Drive_Rent_A_Boat-Pittsfield_Massachusetts.html
Burbank Park by Onota Lake - The locals told us to park alongside the road that takes you to beach access where we'll find picnic tables by the water to make our BBQ dinner. Pretty.

Day 3 -
Jiminy Peak - Alpine Slides, Mountain Coasters, Zip Lines. $39 and $29 unlimited depending on your size and you only pay if you ride, but you do have to reserve ahead of time a 4 hour slot. (This is tomorrows activity as I'm here in the hotel typing this as I had some down time. I hope we'll have a blast. ) https://www.jiminypeak.com/Summer/Attractions/Mountain-Adventure-Park
BBQ at Jiminy Peak and then head back home.

I hope this helps :)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 11:19:24 PM by kivabb »

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Corona Time 3 Day Getaway to the Berkshires
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 12:35:12 AM »
Excellent, thanks

Offline Luvtotravel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 12:55:20 AM »
sounds great! have fun and stay safe
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 03:16:22 PM »
The hotel is now 7,500 points a night

Offline BKisraeli

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 07:07:51 PM »
Thank you for the post. we have been looking for a trip just like this. :)
B.K
Who Said Nothing In Life is Free?

Offline Geshmak25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 10:49:35 PM »
Day 3 -
Jiminy Peak - Alpine Slides, Mountain Coasters, Zip Lines. $39 and $29 unlimited depending on your size and you only pay if you ride, but you do have to reserve ahead of time a 4 hour slot. (This is tomorrows activity as I'm here in the hotel typing this as I had some down time. I hope we'll have a blast. ) https://www.jiminypeak.com/Summer/Attractions/Mountain-Adventure-Park
How was?
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 11:02:32 PM »
When I first read the title of this thread I thought it said "Corona time 3...." and my first thought was oh no, this is bad. We've heard of the cases where someone got it twice, but a 3rd time?

But thanks for the TR. Sounds like it was nice!

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 11:06:28 PM »
Something tells me we might be able to get a minyan at this place at the end of August.
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 11:09:11 PM »
Something tells me we might be able to get a minyan at this place at the end of August.
im in for sooner...

Offline kivabb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 12:26:57 PM »
How was?

Jiminy Peak was great! Good healthy fun for just about anyone over 3 years old and 38 inches tall (they need to ride with officially 16 year old+ but they're not too strict about the 16 year old part). When we first arrived they told us the Mountain Coaster was closed and offered to give us $10 discount for each ticket. 2 hours later they opened that up too so the kids had an emotional roller coaster as well. They're pretty strict about checking in and well as waiting in lines with masks..... but once on the ride or just sitting on park benches they were okay without the mask. They allowed us to make BBQ as well on site. Bring drinks as they wanted to charge us $4.80 for a Powerade. I wouldn't have minded a Mincha Minyan. We practically had the whole place to ourselves and minimal wait times.  Sorry for those I spoiled that for that were planning on going before I wrote this ;)

Offline kivabb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 12:36:29 PM »
Correction on Day 1 Awosting Falls hike above. I wrote that it's 1 hour hike, but I intended to write 1 mile hike (which I hope must of us can still do in way less than 1 hour).

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2020, 10:36:50 PM »
With Quarantine blues, some of the kids camps cancelling, and trying to bring some fun as we try to transition back into normalcy, I tried to find a 2-3 day getaway to have some good family time outside the house.

I was hoping Busch Gardens Williamsburg would open as that has been a fun safe getaway for us in the past, but they kept delaying their opening so I ruled that out.

With just about everything indoor closed, and many hotels closed, we needed to find something outdoors where in the same area we could find normal (affordable) lodging....but we kept encountering closures.

In the end, we managed to find a real nice getaway, so my wife and I (and 8 kids) headed north to Massachusetts. I literally spent 10+ hours planning this short getaway, so I'm sharing in the hopes that if someone is in my situation that they will benefit from my research.

Transportation - We departed from Lakewood with both our cars. My oldest daughter drives, so that allowed my wife and I some quality time together in the front seat (which is almost non existent when the kids are practicing to drive and we're travelling as a family).

Lodging - With absolute divine intervention, I came across a Fairfield Inn & Suites in Williamstown MA, for 5K Marriott points a night! We needed 4 rooms for 2 nights, which was a total 40K point total. The hotel opened in December and it was clean and comfy and a great base to some of the places we planned to visit. The pool and fitness room were closed, and they make you wear face masks in the public areas. Overall, I felt I finally some good usage for my Marriott points. https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/albfw-fairfield-inn-and-suites-williamstown/

Food - Fairfield Hotels only have mini fridges and I'm always wondering if those things really work or not, so thanks to our trusty bear bags (we brought 3 of them) we're able to keep everything cold or frozen without the fridge. We got one of these Portable Gas Grill from Walmart (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Expert-Grill-17-5-10-000-BTU-Portable-Gas-Grill-Black/238454155) with a few mini propane tanks. We also brought a sandwich maker. So sandwich makers and homemade muffins for breakfast, cold-cut sandwiches and wraps for lunch, and marinated shnitzel, hot dogs and hamburgers for dinner. We usually bring a few cases of Tradition Soups as well as an insurance policy. The hotel served a grab and go breakfast that consisted of a OUD granola bar and muffin as well as a water bottle. For us it was was a waste of time, but they did say it varies by day.

Activities -
Day 1 - We departed Lakewood at about Noon. The drive direct to the hotel was roughly 4 hours, so I was looking for something en-route that we can break up the drive. Literally 10 minutes out of the way I came across Minnewaska State Park that was the perfect find. Entrance fee was $10 per car. We did a beautiful 1 hour small hike to Awosting Falls. It's beautiful and the kids loved it! We also did a 2 mile walk around the Lake Minnewaska Loop. Both would be accessible with a decent stroller. We then had a picnic dinner before heading towards the hotel. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g47994-d105820-Reviews-Minnewaska_State_Park_Preserve-Kerhonkson_Catskill_Region_New_York.html

Day 2 -
Natural Bridge State Park - Literally 10-15 minutes from hotel, this (free) stop was beautiful and fun. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g41715-d218997-Reviews-Natural_Bridge_State_Park-North_Adams_Massachusetts.html
Berkshire U-Drive Rent-A-Boat on Pontoosuc Lake - Just 25 minutes from hotel this was also a great find. 10 person pontoon was $206 including tax for 2 hours. The kids got to jump in the water and it was great fun. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g41769-d14138048-Reviews-U_Drive_Rent_A_Boat-Pittsfield_Massachusetts.html
Burbank Park by Onota Lake - The locals told us to park alongside the road that takes you to beach access where we'll find picnic tables by the water to make our BBQ dinner. Pretty.

Day 3 -

Thank you!

I’m in for a planned trip with Minyan any time..
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline yaakov

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 02:57:44 PM »
anybody staying here the week of aug 3rd for a minyan

Offline Traveler718

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile

Offline yaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 06:50:25 PM »
thanks

Offline dovy2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2020, 08:47:14 PM »
I was there last year, and going again this year God willing for the week after Tisha beav.
Staying at Wyndham.
The pool is now workingby reservations only. If there's anyone familiar with a lake I can use for morning mikvah.. please PM (last year I used the jacuzzi, but it's closed this year, and I can't rely on the pool).

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2020, 10:11:28 PM »
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2020, 06:02:26 PM »

Activities -

Day 2 -

Day 3 -

@kivabb This post was super helpful and detailed, and I am planning a trip around it. Any chance you can follow up with the rest of the trip?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline kivabb

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2020, 06:17:04 PM »
That was the whole trip :)

Offline bingit

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2020, 12:59:52 AM »
I actually did a similar trip a few weeks ago..I stayed in Albany which is around a half hour drive from Berkshires, One day I did things around Albany (walked around by Capitol, looked at some nice waterfalls in Albany) the next day I went to Mt. Greylock which is part of Bershire mountains, (Actually it's the tallest mountain in Mass.) You can drive your car to top of mountain which was pretty neat, or there are hiking paths as well....one day we did Jimminey peak which the whole family really enjoyed!! & On the last day we drove from Albany to Howes Cavarans (45 minute drive) which was a very enjoyable tour as well!!!