Author Topic: Entry restrictions in the US  (Read 4364 times)

Offline dvol

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Entry restrictions in the US
« on: July 02, 2020, 11:22:23 AM »
I’ve tried googling and searching here but haven’t had any luck in finding a clear-cut answer.

If an Italian citizen currently residing in Italy wants to enter the US (in the near future), how can he go about it?

Is there a country he can fly to, quarantine there for 14 days and THEN enter the US? Meaning will the US allow a European citizen to enter from a country that is not on the restricted list? If so, which countries would that be?

Thanks for any help.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Entry restrictions in the US
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 11:43:22 AM »
I’ve tried googling and searching here but haven’t had any luck in finding a clear-cut answer.

If an Italian citizen currently residing in Italy wants to enter the US (in the near future), how can he go about it?

Is there a country he can fly to, quarantine there for 14 days and THEN enter the US? Meaning will the US allow a European citizen to enter from a country that is not on the restricted list? If so, which countries would that be?

Thanks for any help.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that if said person has a valid visa, there would be no problems or restrictions upon entry. I am not sure what happens to people that would normally enter under a visa waiver program.

You might find more information here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-19-visa-services-and-restrictions.html
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 11:46:38 AM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline tmendy226

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 12:32:34 PM »
Mexico should be the best bet with plenty of non expensive hotels, kosher food, shuls etc. there are direct flights from major European airports like paris, Madrid, Amsterdam, Frankfurt. There are no restrictions whatsoever flying in to Mexico. I just advised someone In a similar situation to do that.

If Canada opens for eu citizens than that could be better arguably (I’m saying this because the EU said that they’ll allow foreign citizens in based (among other reasons) on reciprocity, and Canada is one of them. However I did not see anywhere that Canada was planning to open up for EU citizens.

Offline tmendy226

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 12:34:37 PM »
Anecdotal evidence suggests that if said person has a valid visa, there would be no problems or restrictions upon entry. I am not sure what happens to people that would normally enter under a visa waiver program.

You might find more information here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-19-visa-services-and-restrictions.html

Visa waiver is no good as far as I know. And airlines will not let you fly so they don’t get fined.

Offline davidd75

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 04:27:50 PM »
any restrictions against Israelis entering US either through direct flights or stop overs in Europe or any other country?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 05:14:54 PM »
any restrictions against Israelis entering US either through direct flights or stop overs in Europe or any other country?

I know plenty of Israelis that came here in the last few weeks on either F1 or B1 visas with no issues whatsoever.
-- Dan

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 05:18:37 PM »
No

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 04:25:37 PM »
It was very surprising for me to see that as off now vaccinated Europeans with an US-approved vaccine, who are not US nationals or citizens are still restricted from entering the US based on a presidential executive order from January 25th 2021.

There are exceptions for certain relatives, humanitarian causes, students and others with certain visas etc, but otherwise entry to the US is prohibited.

This is ironic considering they might be coming from a European (Schengen) country with high vaccination, low COVID numbers, low Delta-variant prevalence etc. If they were a vaccinated US citizen coming from the same country they wouldn’t be required to test upon entry, quarantine, or any other restrictions.

Does anyone know how strongly the airlines/border control officials are enforcing this restriction? I know it’s subject to change soon, but wondering what the deal is as of now. TIA for any data points.

Tl;dr version: How strict is the travel ban for a Pfizer-vaccinated non-US resident entering the US from Schengen?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 04:33:13 PM »

Tl;dr version: How strict is the travel ban for a Pfizer-vaccinated non-US resident entering the US from Schengen?

Very, don’t try it.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 04:43:38 PM »
Very, don’t try it.

Are you kidding? Any specific data points / personal experience from relative please?

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2021, 06:46:54 PM »
Are you kidding? Any specific data points / personal experience from relative please?
Very simple, denied boarding

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2021, 06:56:25 PM »
It was very surprising for me to see that as off now vaccinated Europeans with an US-approved vaccine, who are not US nationals or citizens are still restricted from entering the US based on a presidential executive order from January 25th 2021.

There are exceptions for certain relatives, humanitarian causes, students and others with certain visas etc, but otherwise entry to the US is prohibited.

This is ironic considering they might be coming from a European (Schengen) country with high vaccination, low COVID numbers, low Delta-variant prevalence etc. If they were a vaccinated US citizen coming from the same country they wouldn’t be required to test upon entry, quarantine, or any other restrictions.

Does anyone know how strongly the airlines/border control officials are enforcing this restriction? I know it’s subject to change soon, but wondering what the deal is as of now. TIA for any data points.

Welcome to the politics of COVID-19
-- Dan

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2021, 07:16:59 PM »
The Europeans opened up their borders for Americans so no political reason to stay closed now either.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2021, 07:24:11 PM »
The Europeans opened up their borders for Americans so no political reason to stay closed now either.

Someone on DDF mentioned something about a 100+ old Bridge in downstate NY for sale.
-- Dan

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2021, 07:30:32 PM »
Welcome to the politics of COVID-19

Thanks, but I’m looking for experiences, facts and data-points, not for your cynical assessment of COVID-policies which I’m already very much aware of. The former informs me whether a relative will or won’t be able to travel, the latter does not.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2021, 07:34:05 PM »
Thanks, but I’m looking for experiences, facts and data-points, not for your cynical assessment of COVID-policies which I’m already very much aware of. The former informs me whether a relative will or won’t be able to travel, the latter does not.

That's why we have @chff here

-- Dan

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2021, 07:36:06 PM »

This is in your professional experience with pax?

Offline oldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2021, 07:36:26 PM »
The experience I have of is right before Pesach (AFAIK nothing changed since) my brother in law (US citizen) wanted to go with his wife (only UK citizen) from TLV to US with a stop in LHR both vaccinated and was denied boarding because couldn't get the special permission in time that would allow her because of her US spouse.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2021, 07:39:30 PM »
The experience I have of is right before Pesach (AFAIK nothing changed since) my brother in law (US citizen) wanted to go with his wife (only UK citizen) from TLV to US with a stop in LHR both vaccinated and was denied boarding because couldn't get the special permission in time that would allow her because of her US spouse.

AFAIK nothing changed since January 25th with regards to entry restrictions for those traveling from Schengen countries. There were changes for COVID restrictions in the US for those who are vaccinated.

Either way, it does seem to me from my research today that a spouse of a US citizen would be exempt from the restriction, I didn’t see anywhere that they’d have to apply for an exception. Maybe I misread or something changed since before Pesach.

ETA:

It seems that the original 1/25/21 guidance specifically exempts spouses of US citizens from the entry restriction, section 2(iii) reads:

Sec. 2.  Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry.

(a)  Section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to:

(i)     any lawful permanent resident of the United States;

(ii)    any noncitizen national of the United States;

(iii)   any noncitizen who is the spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident;
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 07:47:30 PM by AsherO »

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2021, 07:40:10 PM »
This is in your professional experience with pax?

This is exactly how it is since Mar 2020 so no one with brains even attempts it now.
Heard a DP of someone that was booked from Ukraine to USA via Poland, was denied boarding in Keiv, so he booked thru the middle east, and at his connection he was flagged by CBP for having been 'booked' thru Schengen (Ukraine is not on the banned list)