Author Topic: What is FL hiding?  (Read 28162 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: What is FL hiding?
« Reply #160 on: July 24, 2020, 12:04:19 AM »
The Rt being under 1 would be great, except that it's only .01 under 1, and it's based off of 160k positives in the last 14 days. While the rate of infection may not be growing, 160k people infecting another 160k people and so on is not great news.

Oh, and the deaths are being reported an average 14 days after occurrence, plus an average of an 14-21 days from date of positive test to date of death. Go look at how many positive tests FL has had in the last 35 days.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online Jellybelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 24, 2020, 12:18:37 AM »
Piece of work:

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-gov-desantis-suggests-covid-death-toll-inflated-blames-alleged-test-errors-testing-1520045

I’m not really following much, but I saw that the CDC has lowered their Florida numbers a couple times recently

Online cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 24, 2020, 12:52:11 AM »
The Rt being under 1 would be great, except that it's only .01 under 1, and it's based off of 160k positives in the last 14 days. While the rate of infection may not be growing, 160k people infecting another 160k people and so on is not great news.

Oh, and the deaths are being reported an average 14 days after occurrence, plus an average of an 14-21 days from date of positive test to date of death. Go look at how many positive tests FL has had in the last 35 days.
It’s not great but deaths are a lagging indicator and should continue to rise. Hospitalizations are somewhat of a more current indicator and those are still rising but the rate of increase is slowing. New infections appear to have stabilized so that is good news if trends hold.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 01:04:51 AM by cmey »

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 24, 2020, 01:19:14 AM »
Very soon when florida has low numbers like new york and you see that the %, hospitalizations and deaths were all exaggerated i hope you guys feel great that you stayed indoors all summer.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #164 on: July 24, 2020, 01:35:05 AM »
Very soon when florida has low numbers like new york and you see that the %, hospitalizations and deaths were all exaggerated i hope you guys feel great that you stayed indoors all summer.

You think this is about numbers? I know people here who have died in the last 2 weeks. I know people here on vents right now. I know people here who are home sick right now. I know people working in hospitals here which are completely full.

It amazes me that you can be so flippant about this. It's almost as if you've forgotten how many people died in NY. I know, they were all sick or in nursing homes. Covid didn't kill them, Cuomo did. It's all hype, fake news. I know, long-term effects are a myth, too. If they didn't die, nothing happened. So what if they still have trouble breathing and get tired easily? Drama queens!

I try not to get too personal on here, but you're an idiot.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 24, 2020, 01:42:57 AM »
It’s not great but deaths are a lagging indicator and should continue to rise. Hospitalizations are somewhat of a more current indicator and those are still rising but the rate of increase is slowing. New infections appear to have stabilized so that is good news if trends hold.

Stabilized case numbers are hard to buy into because of the messed up data. There are a ton of local reports of testing sites not having enough tests (not talking about hospitals). There are also tons of reports of backlogs and issues with lab reporting here. There's a theory about FL having reached max testing capacity, which explains the plateau in conjunction with the test shortages.
Hospitalizations are the only real number to look at right now in terms of trying to figure out growth, and those numbers have grown very significantly in the last 3 weeks.

Hopefully the plateau is real and we start to see a decline soon.

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 24, 2020, 01:44:15 AM »
You think this is about numbers? I know people here who have died in the last 2 weeks. I know people here on vents right now. I know people here who are home sick right now. I know people working in hospitals here which are completely full.

It amazes me that you can be so flippant about this. It's almost as if you've forgotten how many people died in NY. I know, they were all sick or in nursing homes. Covid didn't kill them, Cuomo did. It's all hype, fake news. I know, long-term effects are a myth, too. If they didn't die, nothing happened. So what if they still have trouble breathing and get tired easily? Drama queens!

Your a class act. I love how anyone who is an alarmist here is looked up at and everyone else is either stupid,lier, or killing people. Sad place this has become. My family lives in new york, I can almost guarantee that I know more people then you who died, more who were on vents and more family members that died of covid. There were refrigerated trucks down the block from my house storing bodies. All I can say is that the numbers are extremely overblown. That in no way means that it isn't a very serious virus. Simply means as I said, the numbers are overblown and this will blow over. Just like it did in Europe. And yes new york had insane amounts of deaths because they completely mishandled it.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 24, 2020, 01:55:45 AM »
Your a class act. I love how anyone who is an alarmist here is looked up at and everyone else is either stupid,lier, or killing people. Sad place this has become. My family lives in new york, I can almost guarantee that I know more people then you who died, more who were on vents and more family members that died of covid. There were refrigerated trucks down the block from my house storing bodies. All I can say is that the numbers are extremely overblown. That in no way means that it isn't a very serious virus. Simply means as I said, the numbers are overblown and this will blow over. Just like it did in Europe. And yes new york had insane amounts of deaths because they completely mishandled it.

You seem to have a handle on reality. Explain FL's excess deaths to me. Heck, explain the excess deaths anywhere. Cuomo killed them all?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #169 on: July 24, 2020, 07:47:25 AM »

Don't bother with him. He has shown in another thread he does not value human life (mods had to delete).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 07:50:34 AM by CountValentine »
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 24, 2020, 07:59:36 AM »
What does the Rt have to do with the way things are heading? What is your question?
Like I said we can play with numbers all day long. The whole BS we were told is the increase in positive cases was do to testing. My OP post showed these were real and that is why there is a record amount of deaths in the state. You brought in NY which had nothing to do with what I said. Positive cases are still extremely high and will result it more deaths.

Online cmey

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 24, 2020, 10:24:35 AM »
Like I said we can play with numbers all day long. The whole BS we were told is the increase in positive cases was do to testing. My OP post showed these were real and that is why there is a record amount of deaths in the state. You brought in NY which had nothing to do with what I said. Positive cases are still extremely high and will result it more deaths.
Of course there will be an increase in deaths. That is a foregone conclusion based on recent infections and hospitalizations. What doesn’t make sense it to point to the daily death toll and say oh no it’s getting worse. The question is if it is plateauing and that’s where the overall numbers are very relevant.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 24, 2020, 10:48:34 AM »
Of course there will be an increase in deaths. That is a foregone conclusion based on recent infections and hospitalizations. What doesn’t make sense it to point to the daily death toll and say oh no it’s getting worse. The question is if it is plateauing and that’s where the overall numbers are very relevant.
The death toll will get worse based on the positive number of cases from a couple of weeks ago. If it just holds steady that is terrible news.
Now if you want to talk about if they are peaking currently and will show less deaths in the coming weeks then I would use the figure you posted as just one indicator.

My original post was sarcastically pointing out the BS about testing is the reason we see the increase.
Another day of record deaths. They really need to stop testing.  ::)

Online cmey

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 24, 2020, 11:25:16 AM »
The death toll will get worse based on the positive number of cases from a couple of weeks ago. If it just holds steady that is terrible news.
Now if you want to talk about if they are peaking currently and will show less deaths in the coming weeks then I would use the figure you posted as just one indicator.

My original post was sarcastically pointing out the BS about testing is the reason we see the increase.
Got it. I agree. Testing did shoot up as you can see on the chart and in theory even in a steady rate of transmission you would see increasing raw numbers with that kind of testing, but it’s crazy to blame what we see in FL on the testing. Hospitalizations and deaths do tell the story.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 24, 2020, 11:46:27 AM »
We've gone from, "OMG, have you seen today's numbers?! Insane!! A new record!" to, "Another crazy report. Oh well."

Congratulations, Florida, you've flattened the curve.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 24, 2020, 12:25:16 PM »
We've gone from, "OMG, have you seen today's numbers?! Insane!! A new record!" to, "Another crazy report. Oh well."

Congratulations, Florida, you've flattened the curve.
You need to pay attention. It is one day just going to go away. We all might be dead but it will go away on its own.
Lets get real here. Didn't the measles just go away. Oops doesn't work for that one and many others.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 26, 2020, 08:27:59 AM »

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 26, 2020, 01:02:43 PM »
On the other hand, testing sites botched up numbers.

The mentality seems to be that if we get it, we get it.

We take precautions etc but realistically people aren't going back to April and May.

I have cancelled so far 6 rt trips and my annual western road trips.

It's really not the governor or anything. It's just people . You see people hanging out by the beach , partying etc

Skateboard park at haulover packed with probably upper middle class white kids

I see black folks at the beach, white folks, Latina etc . It's not a demographic, age or politics thing.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 26, 2020, 01:10:56 PM »
Leadership starts at the top. Set a good example to begin with.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 26, 2020, 01:29:39 PM »
It's really not the governor or anything. It's just people . You see people hanging out by the beach , partying etc

Skateboard park at haulover packed with probably upper middle class white kids

I see black folks at the beach, white folks, Latina etc . It's not a demographic, age or politics thing.

It's about what these people are seeing in their daily lives that allows them to believe that everything is fine. When everything around you looks like business as usual, because leadership wants it to appear that way, you get the scenarios you describe.

When people in leadership positions make claims that it's all about politics, people tune out. They hear infighting and it reinforces the idea that it's political. The vast majority of people want little or nothing to do with politics. They just want to live their lives. It's why voter turnout in this country is abysmal. When the virus became political, and when the doctors who were the public face of the politicians started tempering their messages to fit the politicians they serve under, people conflated medical and political and stopped listening to any guidance.

This is why statewide mask mandates and a basic level of statewide restrictions are paramount. Beyond the actual safety brought about by the restrictions, it sends a message to people to take it seriously in general. When you can go about your life with barely any interruption, it's hard to remember that you're supposed to be taking precautions.