Author Topic: USB drives  (Read 3498 times)

Offline Jellybelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
USB drives
« on: July 08, 2020, 02:28:14 PM »
Someone was selling usb’s full of shiurim In my shul. To me it looked like they were very cheaply made and probably made in China. Is there any reason to suspect that they would have viruses on them? I don’t suspect the guy selling the ones in shul. I’m just worried about where he got them from. And on the chance they do have some virus, would it have the ability to ruin my car if I plug it into my car?

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: USB drives
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 08:43:58 PM »
I highly doubt it would ruin anything in a computer let alone in a car. If they did hide a virus or something they don't want to break your computer, just steal information. But if it has a virus that IDK.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 08:52:29 PM »
opinions don't change facts, scan it with malwarebytes
["-"]

Offline pcgeek

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 10:53:43 PM »
Someone was selling usb’s full of shiurim In my shul. To me it looked like they were very cheaply made and probably made in China. Is there any reason to suspect that they would have viruses on them? I don’t suspect the guy selling the ones in shul. I’m just worried about where he got them from. And on the chance they do have some virus, would it have the ability to ruin my car if I plug it into my car?
It's extremely unlikely to damage your car if it has viruses. As far as your computer, I agree with yesitsme, it doesn't hurt to scan it with malwarebytes as there is some chance it has a virus. Viruses are common on USB's regardless of how cheap/expensive they are. There are viruses that automatically copy to a usb device that's plugged in and it's possible the seller had one of those viruses

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 02:42:00 AM »
opinions don't change facts, scan it with malwarebytes
Assuming there is malware on it how do you scan it without it being able to copy anything to the PC?
I remember reading a long time ago that there's a shortcut, shift something when plugging it in?
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline davidd75

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 09:21:55 AM »
Is there a recommended usb portable player I can but so i can listen to shiurim without the need of my phone etc..?

in the past I had to transfer the shiurim from my usb drive to a micro sd and play them on my mp3 player but would rather just purchase a usb player if there is such thing?

Offline Yisroel Tech

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 09:27:48 AM »
Is there a recommended usb portable player I can but so i can listen to shiurim without the need of my phone etc..?

in the past I had to transfer the shiurim from my usb drive to a micro sd and play them on my mp3 player but would rather just purchase a usb player if there is such thing?
Not sure such exists (if there is it'd be some android based player like one from Fiio.)

But TBH how do the shiurim get to that USB flash drive? Why can't they the same way be loaded directly to a player?

Online MoYS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 10:53:10 AM »
Not sure such exists (if there is it'd be some android based player like one from Fiio.)
There are plenty of such items. this is the amazons choice and this is the link to the amazon search

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 11:01:58 AM »
There are plenty of such items. this is the amazons choice and this is the link to the amazon search
Can be used maybe for 2-3 shiurim, or a playlist of music playing blindly. Without a screen for file selection (with normal worthful info on the screen) it's generally useless for regauler use.

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 01:06:41 PM »

But TBH how do the shiurim get to that USB flash drive? Why can't they the same way be loaded directly to a player?

I download the shiuirim from a desktop(no micro sd slot) to the usb and then use my filtered laptop(no internet) to transfer files to micro sd card which i can use on my mp3 player.  But the transfer to my laptop is a littel cumbersome and time consuming and besides sd cards are less and less used these days. I commute so need a portable device to hear my shiurim on the road.  I dont have a phone or computer that i can use.

is there no option to listen to the usb flash drive directly with some kind of small portable player?

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2022, 01:11:22 PM »

is this an option?

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Portable-Lossless-Recorder-Support/dp/B087WYJ76D/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1ZVDYNU5VVFE6&keywords=portable+usb+player+for+music&qid=1650906617&sprefix=portable+usb+player%2Caps%2C47&sr=8-9

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2022, 01:13:30 PM »
I download the shiuirim from a desktop(no micro sd slot) to the usb and then use my filtered laptop(no internet) to transfer files to micro sd card which i can use on my mp3 player.  But the transfer to my laptop is a littel cumbersome and time consuming and besides sd cards are less and less used these days. I commute so need a portable device to hear my shiurim on the road.  I dont have a phone or computer that i can use.
So get any portable MP3 player (which has a USB interface) and load it from the desktop to that player (which might have inside an SD card, but you can transfer to it by plugging in the player to the desktop using USB (the same way you do with the flash drive.)
is there no option to listen to the usb flash drive directly with some kind of small portable player?
As said, most likely not.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2022, 01:16:27 PM »
is this an option?

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Portable-Lossless-Recorder-Support/dp/B087WYJ76D/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1ZVDYNU5VVFE6&keywords=portable+usb+player+for+music&qid=1650906617&sprefix=portable+usb+player%2Caps%2C47&sr=8-9
Might be, and this is indeed just a regular MP3 portable player, which is what I mentioned to use. And if already I'd not get a Chinese no name brand for it.

Offline Lev26

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2022, 02:22:51 PM »
I think most of the shiurim USBs come from a commercial copier of USBs, in which case its likely that they would'nt have viruses.
I'm new, but not THAT new. I've been reading awhile...

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2022, 03:14:24 PM »
So get any portable MP3 player (which has a USB interface) and load it from the desktop to that player (which might have inside an SD card, but you can transfer to it by plugging in the player to the desktop using USB (the same way you do with the flash drive.)As said, most likely not.

I see thanks!!
 so with somehting like this I should be able to download the audio recordings directly from desktop to the mp3/usb player and then I will be able to listen to it without needing anything else?

Online MoYS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2022, 03:39:26 PM »
I see thanks!!
 so with somehting like this I should be able to download the audio recordings directly from desktop to the mp3/usb player and then I will be able to listen to it without needing anything else?
Should work
In response to
Can be used maybe for 2-3 shiurim, or a playlist of music playing blindly. Without a screen for file selection (with normal worthful info on the screen) it's generally useless for regauler use.
Not sure why you capped it at 3 shiurim. But youre right that there wont be any selection, the user will have to know the order of the tracks but you should be able to skip thru tracks if the speaker has built in controls.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2022, 04:32:55 PM »
Almost all can be connected to a USB port with a wire. Another option is a card reader to put the card directly to the computer.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2022, 04:38:24 PM »
If you have an mp3 player that can take a (micro) SD card, just get a USB adapter to put the music on it.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2022, 05:03:35 PM »
Almost all can be connected to a USB port with a wire. Another option is a card reader to put the card directly to the computer.

i am not sure what you mean I need somehting light i can take with me on the go after downloading the shiurim onto the usb stick.   The problem is not downloading the shiurim to the usb stick its finding a way to listen to that usb stick

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2022, 05:04:52 PM »
If you have an mp3 player that can take a (micro) SD card, just get a USB adapter to put the music on it.

so i need to buy what? a adapter to transfer files from a usb to a micro sd card?