Author Topic: USB drives  (Read 253 times)

Online Jellybelly

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
USB drives
« on: July 08, 2020, 02:28:14 PM »
Someone was selling usbís full of shiurim In my shul. To me it looked like they were very cheaply made and probably made in China. Is there any reason to suspect that they would have viruses on them? I donít suspect the guy selling the ones in shul. Iím just worried about where he got them from. And on the chance they do have some virus, would it have the ability to ruin my car if I plug it into my car?

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: USB drives
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 08:43:58 PM »
I highly doubt it would ruin anything in a computer let alone in a car. If they did hide a virus or something they don't want to break your computer, just steal information. But if it has a virus that IDK.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Online yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 08:52:29 PM »
opinions don't change facts, scan it with malwarebytes

Offline pcgeek

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 10:53:43 PM »
Someone was selling usbís full of shiurim In my shul. To me it looked like they were very cheaply made and probably made in China. Is there any reason to suspect that they would have viruses on them? I donít suspect the guy selling the ones in shul. Iím just worried about where he got them from. And on the chance they do have some virus, would it have the ability to ruin my car if I plug it into my car?
It's extremely unlikely to damage your car if it has viruses. As far as your computer, I agree with yesitsme, it doesn't hurt to scan it with malwarebytes as there is some chance it has a virus. Viruses are common on USB's regardless of how cheap/expensive they are. There are viruses that automatically copy to a usb device that's plugged in and it's possible the seller had one of those viruses

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 02:42:00 AM »
opinions don't change facts, scan it with malwarebytes
Assuming there is malware on it how do you scan it without it being able to copy anything to the PC?
I remember reading a long time ago that there's a shortcut, shift something when plugging it in?
Jack of all trades, master of none.