Author Topic: DSL Modem & Wireless Router Combo  (Read 1964 times)

Offline 123ablack

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
DSL Modem & Wireless Router Combo
« on: November 28, 2011, 03:56:41 PM »
Hi,
I currently have the Westell 7500 (that you get free from Verizon after signing up for HS DSL Contract).
The quality and range is really poor >:(.  Would like to replace it with a good DSL Modem & Wireless Router combo.

Any good ideas?

P.S. I am currently looking at the "Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Router ADSL2+ Modem Router (DGND3700)", anyone with experience on this one?

TIA

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: DSL Modem & Wireless Router Combo
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 07:14:44 PM »
Hi,
I currently have the Westell 7500 (that you get free from Verizon after signing up for HS DSL Contract).
The quality and range is really poor >:(.  Would like to replace it with a good DSL Modem & Wireless Router combo.

Any good ideas?

P.S. I am currently looking at the "Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Router ADSL2+ Modem Router (DGND3700)", anyone with experience on this one?

TIA

Why not just turn the wireless off on your Westell and plug in a standard (no modem) wifi router?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 02:09:14 AM »
Why not just turn the wireless off on your Westell and plug in a standard (no modem) wifi router?

+1, you can do that, but the setup is (at least for the novice) quite complicated with the Westell modem + separate router.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline 123ablack

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 06:34:59 PM »
+1, you can do that, but the setup is (at least for the novice) quite complicated with the Westell modem + separate router.

Thanks AsherO and AJK for taking your time to respond!

Exactly! i have heared from many that when using the Westell 7500 as a Modem only, the setup would indeed  be complicated.

That's why i am looking into the another All in one modem/router.. Any thoughts?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 08:06:10 PM »
Even if you get an all in one, you'll likely need to call in for help in setting it up.

But, I'm not sure how keen Verizon is in helping with that.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper