Author Topic: What’s the best way to keep track of the tzedaka that you give?  (Read 12446 times)

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Re: What’s the best way to keep track of the tzedaka that you give?
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2020, 07:42:48 PM »
So I finally decided to just pay for another Chase account, because it would be much simpler and I really needed an account already. When looking at the options, I saw they have a new type of account, called Chase Secure Banking. It's a flat fee of $4.95 monthly, and it only allows debit card transactions (not checks). You can see details here: https://media.chase.com/news/chase-launches-new-checking-account

Now for my question: Having paper checks will be helpful at times. What is stopping me from just ordering checks with the routing and account number Chase supplies? If I can do it, which routing number should I use.

Online Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2020, 07:44:55 PM »
So I finally decided to just pay for another Chase account, because it would be much simpler and I really needed an account already. When looking at the options, I saw they have a new type of account, called Chase Secure Banking. It's a flat fee of $4.95 monthly, and it only allows debit card transactions (not checks). You can see details here: https://media.chase.com/news/chase-launches-new-checking-account

Now for my question: Having paper checks will be helpful at times. What is stopping me from just ordering checks with the routing and account number Chase supplies? If I can do it, which routing number should I use.

Why not open a free account somewhere else??
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2020, 07:54:08 PM »
Please tell me a bank that is a member of Zelle and offers free, hassle-free accounts?

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2020, 07:59:03 PM »
Sometime in mid December, I look through my checkbook and make a list.  That worked in until recent years when I have to go through my many credit card accounts, paypal and other electronic accounts. Mint.com helps.
Anything $250  and above goes in a different column and I check if I have a receipt (for tax reasons).
I compare the total and my income to see how much more I need to give. And do so.

I have a spreadsheet where I've recorded it as I've paid it out.  But I'm not reliable in filling in the data as it's generated. 

Don't follow my example.  ;D
Exactly my method, unfortunately
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Online Realshlomo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2020, 08:02:53 PM »
Please tell me a bank that is a member of Zelle and offers free, hassle-free accounts?
Capital one 360

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2020, 08:17:45 PM »

I think what they're saying is that this account will not honor paper checks.  Not that they won't provide you with the checks and you need to order them yourself. You have to ask them.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2020, 08:27:08 PM »
Capital one 360
Done, thanks!!

Now how do I close a Chase account? Do I have to call them? Or do I just drain the money and they'll close it themselves when they can't collect the fee?

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2020, 08:30:34 PM »
Capital one 360
can you zelle from your chase acct to your capital one acct (or vvs)? if yes, do you need separate email addresses for them?
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2020, 08:34:04 PM »
can you zelle from your chase acct to your capital one acct (or vvs)? if yes, do you need separate email addresses for them?
I believe you can do an account transfer to an external account. You don't even need Zelle, it seems.

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2020, 08:35:03 PM »
I believe you can do an account transfer to an external account. You don't even need Zelle, it seems.
Nice! Is it instant?

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2020, 08:38:03 PM »
Yes, I do this all the time for instant transfers. Need different email addresses for each account.

Online Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2020, 08:39:01 PM »
Done, thanks!!

Now how do I close a Chase account? Do I have to call them? Or do I just drain the money and they'll close it themselves when they can't collect the fee?
No problem 🙂
I'll gladly take the $4.95 monthly fee :D
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2020, 10:30:15 PM »
Yes, I do this all the time for instant transfers. Need different email addresses for each account.
TY

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2020, 10:12:56 AM »
Done, thanks!!

I'm pretty sure you'll need to close it in order not to be charged for the next month.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2020, 08:37:24 PM »
Update. I opened a Capital One 360 account and ordered checks. Called Chase and closed down my second Chase account, which they did right away over the phone. I experimented with "external account transfers", but it took a few days for the money to transfer and another few days for the money to become available in Capital One. I then set up Zelle in Capital One, for which I needed to use a second email address. Zelle transfers are working instantly, and the money is available for use seconds after I send it.

In conclusion, thanks @Yo ssi @Realshlomo @etech0 @lubaby @ckmk47 and everyone else who helped out with this. I now have an efficient, free maaser account, and I feel like a high-roller when I tell people "let me write you a check from my tzeddakah account."  ;D

Online Realshlomo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2020, 08:52:04 PM »
Update. I opened a Capital One 360 account and ordered checks. Called Chase and closed down my second Chase account, which they did right away over the phone. I experimented with "external account transfers", but it took a few days for the money to transfer and another few days for the money to become available in Capital One. I then set up Zelle in Capital One, for which I needed to use a second email address. Zelle transfers are working instantly, and the money is available for use seconds after I send it.

In conclusion, thanks @Yo ssi @Realshlomo @etech0 @lubaby @ckmk47 and everyone else who helped out with this. I now have an efficient, free maaser account, and I feel like a high-roller when I tell people "let me write you a check from my tzeddakah account."  ;D
Great glad it worked out!
Setting up another email for Zelle payments make the most sense for instant availability.
Now you can also use a specific credit card to give tzedaka and just pay it with this account.

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2020, 09:22:20 PM »

Thanks for the update!
Did you need to use the second address when creating the capitol one account, or were you able to add it on later?

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2020, 09:25:15 PM »
Did you need to use the second address when creating the capitol one account, or were you able to add it on later?
The account email address can be the same as your primary. It’s only the Zelle portion that needs its own email.

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2020, 09:31:18 PM »
The account email address can be the same as your primary. It’s only the Zelle portion that needs its own email.
Nice! TY

Online Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2020, 09:34:49 PM »

Nice!

Now that the advice was given perhaps I should implement it myself ;)
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/