Author Topic: For NY to TLV bonus ticket, what's the best ONEWORLD airline to become a member  (Read 6303 times)

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
I have flown Delta and Alitalia recently to Israel. I believe that both are ONEWORLD airlines. Which one would it be beneficial to accumulate all my points to, in order to qualify for a future free ticket in coach, or is there a third airline altogether on ONEWORLD to accumulate to?
  Also, is there any airline on ONEWORLD where I can combine both mine and my wife's points?
 Thanks

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
 :o
Incorrect, neither, AA, and no.

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
I made a mistake. They are both part of SKYTEAM. So now I re-phrase:

I have flown Delta and Alitalia recently to Israel. I believe that both are SKYTEAM airlines. Which one would it be beneficial to accumulate all my points to, in order to qualify for a future free ticket in coach,(Is Delta better without the European Airlines heavy fuel surcharge), or is there a third airline altogether on SKYTEAM to accumulate to?
  Also, is there any airline on SKYTEAM where I can combine both mine and my wife's points?
 Thanks
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 01:17:49 AM by moefl »

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
:o
Incorrect, neither, AA, and no.

Do you have any suggestions on my corrected question?

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
I would choose Flying Blue, as it allows 1 ways (klm airfrance).
Stay away from delta.
Look what kind of credit card you have/get. Membership Rewards from Amex can be transferred to Flying blue.

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
 AFAIK BA I believe is the only Carrier that offers a Family Plan ( combined accts) but their fuel surcharge to TLV is alot of $$ as its based on a per segment basis. So from the US to TLV means 4 segmets for a round-trip tkt. thats besides the very high UK taxes

AA can get you to TLV on ElAl , the best program IMO is Star Alliance, coach is 75k and Biz is 115k, especially once CO joins it as of 10/25

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
AFAIK BA I believe is the only Carrier that offers a Family Plan ( combined accts) but their fuel surcharge to TLV is alot of $$ as its based on a per segment basis. So from the US to TLV means 4 segmets for a round-trip tkt. thats besides the very high UK taxes

AA can get you to TLV on ElAl , the best program IMO is Star Alliance, coach is 75k and Biz is 115k, especially once CO joins it as of 10/25

Thanks, but I davka want the best SKYTEAM partner to accumulate on, as I have a couple of Alitalia tickets

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
As I said, I still think Flying Blue is the best option, but if you are going the Italian way about it, check out http://www.alitalia.com/EN_EN/millemiglia/earn_miles/skyteam/index.htm .

adding the fact that photoshop is a great program, it might make it worth your while, with 2 free upgrade to business class on alitalia if you become Freccia Alata Plus Club (elite plus member) [also to be used on companion].

I was told by people that on the FCO-TLV part, they got Mussolini treatments, hence my motivation to encourage the use of certain programs.

The choices aren't many:

• Delta = bad program, except that you can have a credit card by them (Amex points work here, but don't pay, as delta mile have a very low price
  • Continental = quitting the skyteam in about 2 weeks
  • Air France and Klm = they are okay, and you can use Amex point to fill up your account click here
  • Alitalia = Disorganized airline (*), but you could kick start by them, and here you can also use Amex points click here

Now it's up to you, you could could make a she'elas chochom, or igroys koydesh if you are into that   ;)

(*) I wouldn't leave Thursday the USA to fly to TLV, or you might end up having Pizza after kiddush.

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
As I said, I still think Flying Blue is the best option, but if you are going the Italian way about it, check out http://www.alitalia.com/EN_EN/millemiglia/earn_miles/skyteam/index.htm .

adding the fact that photoshop is a great program, it might make it worth your while, with 2 free upgrade to business class on alitalia if you become Freccia Alata Plus Club (elite plus member) [also to be used on companion].

I was told by people that on the FCO-TLV part, they got Mussolini treatments, hence my motivation to encourage the use of certain programs.

The choices aren't many:

• Delta = bad program, except that you can have a credit card by them (Amex points work here, but don't pay, as delta mile have a very low price
  • Continental = quitting the skyteam in about 2 weeks
  • Air France and Klm = they are okay, and you can use Amex point to fill up your account click here
  • Alitalia = Disorganized airline (*), but you could kick start by them, and here you can also use Amex points click here

Now it's up to you, you could could make a she'elas chochom, or igroys koydesh if you are into that   ;)

(*) I wouldn't leave Thursday the USA to fly to TLV, or you might end up having Pizza after kiddush.

Thanks. For this question YOU are my Chochom!!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
There is no right answer, Skyteam without Continental is truly a terrible alliance!
You'll have to choose between an airline with overpriced and hard to find mileage rewards (Delta), great mileage prices but extremely high fuel surcharges (AF), or great mileage prices and medium-high fuel surcharges but with an unreliable program (Alitalia)

Good luck!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
There is no right answer, Skyteam without Continental is truly a terrible alliance!
You'll have to choose between an airline with overpriced and hard to find mileage rewards (Delta), great mileage prices but extremely high fuel surcharges (AF), or great mileage prices and medium-high fuel surcharges but with an unreliable program (Alitalia)

Good luck!

What is unrealiable about Alitalia?

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
Alitalia is Italian, and they have the Mediterranean  hanhogo, meaning nothing is yekkish.

Dan is right, skyteam is a very bad alliance, and continental was the last normal one left.

However the least loshon hore can be said about Flying Blue, so that's what i would (and did) choose.

And hey, I forgot one thing, on regular basis Flying Blue has promotions, needing only 50% of the miles needed for award bookings (and yes, not just to Dar es Salaam or Papeete, where just students in military service that have more than 25% disability, and are retired, on the condition that their trip lasts for a duration which is between 65 and 67 days, leaving only on midweeks, and book between October 23rd 11:30pm and October 24th 00:15am, and they are residing (according to your profile) in Tonga). Check it out.

The advantage of KLM and Air France is that they fly direct (from AMS or CDG) to the craziest places direct.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
Alitalia is Italian, and they have the Mediterranean  hanhogo, meaning nothing is yekkish.

Dan is right, skyteam is a very bad alliance, and continental was the last normal one left.

However the least loshon hore can be said about Flying Blue, so that's what i would (and did) choose.

And hey, I forgot one thing, on regular basis Flying Blue has promotions, needing only 50% of the miles needed for award bookings (and yes, not just to Dar es Salaam or Papeete, where just students in military service that have more than 25% disability, and are retired, on the condition that their trip lasts for a duration which is between 65 and 67 days, leaving only on midweeks, and book between October 23rd 11:30pm and October 24th 00:15am, and they are residing (according to your profile) in Tonga). Check it out.

The advantage of KLM and Air France is that they fly direct (from AMS or CDG) to the craziest places direct.

I agree with You if France or Europe is where a person wishes to use their miles to go. But if Israel is the place a person wants to use the miles for free tkts, then I will disagree with you. Ive flown AF a couple of times and they are good to CDG and within Europe , but no way will I subject myself again to their A-320 CDG-TLV especially in Biz where all you get is a coach seat with no one sitting next to you if you happen to be assigned to 1 side of the plane the other side even in Biz had 3 people sitting across. AZ is the same. KL forget about it lousy everything, especially the landing in TLV at 1am unless you arent heading to a Hotel, otherwise you either pay for that night even thou you get there till 3-4 am or just hang out in the lobby till they will let you into the room

even OW is that great, as its basically BA, although with AA from the US we can get LY tkts.

the best is *A, some 8 or 9 Carriers that fly into TLV and most on wide-bodies and most with more then 1 daily flight. It might cost a few K more in miles but it will be much better IMO.

I know DL flys non-stop but good luck getting a free tkt and if 1 can its usually at the Buster rates, for Succos a friend was offered 390,000 for a free Biz tkt, even CO doesnt charge more then 300k.

But I can understand that some people might not have a choice and ST is where they will end up no matter what, then most likely AF/KL would indeed be the better place to park the miles

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
I didn't say he needs to fly Alitalia , klm or air france, just collecting the miles by them  ;D

Offline steve2

• View Profile
I didn't say he needs to fly Alitalia , klm or air france, just collecting the miles by them  ;D

I understood You, I was simply saying that if TLV is the destination a person is gonna want use their miles for a free tkt,then DL is the best bet, however good luck ever finding Saver Awards. KL is bad not only Inflight but as I posted before it lands at 1:30am. Also Af & AZ have a morning flight and a night flight 2 for AF and 4 for AZ 2-FCO & 2-MXP all 6 flights are A-320s. Ive done them and would almost do anything in order to avoid having to fly KL,AF,or AZ again to TLV.

That said AF and AZ wasnt too bad to CDG & MXP/FCO. OK (Czech) is suppose to stop its JFK flight permanently

I take it that most if not everyone on DD is interested mainly in getting free tkts to TLV, which otherwise is a very costly place to fly to per EQM. If TLV isnt a persons goal of using their Miles then things change about which alliance is best.

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
I understood You, I was simply saying that if TLV is the destination a person is gonna want use their miles for a free tkt,then DL is the best bet, however good luck ever finding Saver Awards. KL is bad not only Inflight but as I posted before it lands at 1:30am. Also Af & AZ have a morning flight and a night flight 2 for AF and 4 for AZ 2-FCO & 2-MXP all 6 flights are A-320s. Ive done them and would almost do anything in order to avoid having to fly KL,AF,or AZ again to TLV.

You are right. For me TLV is what I want, and I guess Delta is the choice, since I can use it in the US as well.
That said AF and AZ wasnt too bad to CDG & MXP/FCO. OK (Czech) is suppose to stop its JFK flight permanently

I take it that most if not everyone on DD is interested mainly in getting free tkts to TLV, which otherwise is a very costly place to fly to per EQM. If TLV isnt a persons goal of using their Miles then things change about which alliance is best.

You're right TLV is what I am looking for. I guess Delta is the best, since it can be used in the USA as well.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 10:10:59 PM by moefl »

Offline steve2

• View Profile

You're right TLV is what I am looking for. I guess Delta is the best, since it can be used in the USA as well.

Actually there is 2 different discussions goingon, 1- which Alliance is best and 2-  if ST is the Alliance a person wants to stick with whether its the best or not to which Carrier within ST is the best to credit the miles to

as for #1 I dont believe that ST will be anything like it was once CO is out as of 10/25

as for #2 theres 2 parts to that, #1 IMO DL is the best way to get to TLV if a Saver Award can be had , #2 as SuperFlyer noted AF/KL might be the best place to park/credit the miles. of cause a major neg to that is if a person has the DL Amex they cant credit Flying Blue, but someone said FB is a member of Membership Rewards , so then getting a reg Amex that gets Membership Reward pts would be the CC to use
 if ST is gonna be the Alliance you will stick with no matter what for whatever reason, then go over both DL and FBs charts to see how many miles are needed for free tkts, what are the fees if any for using miles on another ST Member for the tkt, and does either charge a fuel surcharge and if so how much.

Im not that knowledgable with FB but if Im correct I can use my BA miles for a free AA tkt within the US, so I will assume (not knowing if its correct) that a person can use FB miles for a free tkt on DL within the US.

If FB is the way to go and you have x amount of miles with DL now, 1st top off that DL acct to where you will have enough for afree tkt somewhere and then start with FB. also keep in mind that in order to get away with paying for bags with DL you must be Elite, find out what level you must be with another ST Carrier to avoid those fees with DL as well. DL does charge I believe $50 for a persons 2nd bag Intl now, unless you have status with them. All these things need to be taken into consideration

hopefully super can answer some of the questions Ive mentioned above, if not may I suggest Seacrhing 1st on FT in the ST Forum and the FB Forum then if you dont find an answer start a new thread and hopefully those who are more Knowledgable then me in this area will be of Help to you.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile

Flying Blue can be used in the states as well + also one ways.

Actually there is 2 different discussions goingon, 1- which Alliance is best

Star Alliance is defenitely better, but he wanted only Skyteam

and 2-  if ST is the Alliance a person wants to stick with whether its the best or not to which Carrier within ST is the best to credit the miles to

as for #1 I dont believe that ST will be anything like it was once CO is out as of 10/25

I wasn't given the luxury of that option, he wanted ST  ;)

as for #2 theres 2 parts to that, #1 IMO DL is the best way to get to TLV if a Saver Award can be had ,

Maybe true, if it were ever available

#2 as SuperFlyer noted AF/KL might be the best place to park/credit the miles. of cause a major neg to that is if a person has the DL Amex they cant credit Flying Blue, but someone said FB is a member of Membership Rewards , so then getting a reg Amex that gets Membership Reward pts would be the CC to use
 if ST is gonna be the Alliance you will stick with no matter what for whatever reason, then go over both DL and FBs charts to see how many miles are needed for free tkts, what are the fees if any for using miles on another ST Member for the tkt, and does either charge a fuel surcharge and if so how much.

Even if Delta needs less miles, if you have little availability, there is no point choosing them.

Deltas taxes are very high, and my experience was pretty low taxes on flying blue (cheaper on klm then air france if you would fly with them)

Im not that knowledgable with FB but
if Im correct I can use my BA miles for a free AA tkt within the US

you are correct, but tax wise it doesn't pay

so I will assume (not knowing if its correct) that a person can use FB miles for a free tkt on DL within the US.

Off course you can, there are even routes (skyteam ones) that not even continental can book, only flying blue, such as trains connections between airports, and so on.

If FB is the way to go and you have x amount of miles with DL now, 1st top off that DL acct to where you will have enough for afree tkt somewhere and then start with FB.

correct

also keep in mind that in order to get away with paying for bags with DL you must be Elite, find out what level you must be with another ST Carrier to avoid those fees with DL as well. DL does charge I believe $50 for a persons 2nd bag Intl now, unless you have status with them. All these things need to be taken into consideration

theoretically correct, but if you follow a little course on photoshop, or pay me $50 for he trouble, Ill get you a card that will allow a status match

hopefully super can answer some of the questions Ive mentioned above, if not may I suggest Seacrhing 1st on FT in the ST Forum and the FB Forum then if you dont find an answer start a new thread and hopefully those who are more Knowledgable then me in this area will be of Help to you.

tom venishlam

Offline steve2

• View Profile
 Somewhat OT, but worth thinking about

I still have a few 100k in my DL acct . I need to be back in TLV 1st wek of DEC. Went to CO theres availabilty for a Saver Award for 90k (it will be 75k next week once CO is out of ST, so I didnt book it). Went to DL same dates or a day before or after its 135k for their non-stops or there was a 2 stopper NY-DTW-AMS-TLV and 2x in taxes and + $25 since KL isnt DL to that. Most times DLs non-stops werent even offered

So basically if a person will earn at least 2x on their miles compared to what they would earn on *A or OW then ST is a good deal as 135k would be 67,500, while *A will be 75k and OW 90k. But if a person will be only earning 1 miles per $ then ST will be alot more then *A for that free tkt.

after checking for a 2 week period during the very Low Season of 1st week of Dec if DL isnt offering their N.S. @ 80k what will be during Peak or mid-Peak times. DL can charge 25k for a Saver tkt r/t , but what good is that if they dont actually open up any inventory , they could for the same money say a Coach tkt is 10k

Just some thoughts for the OP and others who are thinking of being with DL should think about. Again if a person has the Amex DL CC and only uses it for those items that gives them 2 miles per $1, then cashing in at 135k is a Great Deal ! if a person is charging that much in a yr otherwise the annual fees need to be added to the equation ( I assumed a person will get the DL Amex and cancel after the 1st yr when the fee is charged). Otherwise if its an equal playing field DL clearly isnt a Great deal

Offline keravelt

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile

The link to transfer Amex MR to FB points doesnt seem to work.
That brings me to a more general question: Are there differing programs for the Amex MR, that sometimes allow you to transfer MR for miles while other times only allows you pay with points?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 03:07:00 AM by keravelt »