Author Topic: Israeli police do right by the 13 year old girl ticketed for not wearing a mask  (Read 3203 times)

Offline NTorch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
But the best part of the article is the statement from the father
Jerusalem District Chief Superintendent Shimi Marciano and Rabbi Rami Brachyahu, the Chief Rabbi of the Israel Police, met Monday with Batya Getter, the 13-year-old girl who was confronted by police over not wearing a mask, and her family.

Superintendent Marciano said at the beginning of the meeting: "We are glad you came, our goal today is for you to [see the police in a better light]. The police have many tasks, mainly to maintain public safety, and recently, we have been tasked with maintaining public health and ensuring that the public wears masks in order to prevent the spread of the disease. I want you to know that the cops are good people who look after the public and care for them. I hope you leave here today smiling and feeling good.

Rabbi Brachyahu said: "The police work hard to maintain the health of the people of Israel, and they do sacred work. Their only intention was to maintain all of our health. It is very important to us that you know that the police intend to do only good."

Batya's father, Yehoshua Getter, said: "the message I want to emerge from all of this is the sanctification of G-d's name and that the people need unity. I wish that we would unite, reconcile, and move on."

Afterwards, Marciano took Batya and her family on a tour of the station and they met with police officers.

https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/283487

Offline yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Why, and how in the world does this restore any trust in the police force???????

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
The Israeli police minister Amir Ohana is one of my favorite politicians
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline NTorch

• View Profile
The Israeli police minister Amir Ohana is one of my favorite politicians

Look what your favorite politician got involved in

Constitution Committee Chairman MK Yaakov Asher (Shas) hosted in his office 13-year-old haredi girl Bassie Getter who became famous when video circulated showing her crying on the street after encountering aggressive police enforcement while she was walking her siblings in a stroller.

The girl came to the Knesset with her father, Yehoshua Getter, for a meeting with Internal Security Minister Amir Ohana and also with MK Yaakov Asher, to thank them for the discussion in the committee following the video's publication that dealt with "police conduct and the nature of coronavirus law enforcement on minors and special populations."

In the discussion that took place in the Constitution Committee, Father Yehoshua appeared, who told about the difficult case and the trauma that the girl experienced.

The discussion was poignant and dealt with police procedures regarding masks and police brutality in general.

After the discussion, Committee Chairman MK Asher sent the document summarizing the committee's decisions to Internal Security Minister Ohana and Acting Police Commissioner Moti Cohen, with the main demand being to establish a coordination body between the police and haredi public.

Following this, Minister Ohana had a conversation with the heads of the haredi parties in which the Minister announced he had appointed retired Commissioner Arik Yekuel to coordinate between Internal Security Minister Ohana, the police, and the haredim, who would help guide police and prevent such recent violence from reoccurring.

MK Asher said: “Anyone who watched the difficult video shuddered; surely this was no easy experience for you. Despite the pain, thanks to you we were able to make some changes for the better.

"Good things come to the world by way of good people. After your case, we were able to bring about rapid changes in police procedures. Immediately after the committee discussion, instructions were issued in the various police districts to lighten their foot on the enforcement gas pedal and focus on public information. The Minister wants to make a change in everything related to police violence. It won't be easy but the trend has changed and a lot is thanks to you."

https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/283548

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Sounds like a bunch of politicizing over nothing. All for optics.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Just like BLM
Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
I think it sent a resounding message to cops on the street that their actions will be taken seriously. Definitely a new tone with the new minister Ohana.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
I haven't been following the story. What was the issue with the cop giving a 13 year old a ticket for not wearing a mask?

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
I haven't been following the story. What was the issue with the cop giving a 13 year old a ticket for not wearing a mask?
A)  She was wearing a mask but took it off momentarily to drink. - have you ever been in Yerushalayim sun? They were not reasonable

B) The over aggressive manner the police used to handle her
Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL

Offline elya

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
have you ever been in Yerushalayim sun?

I don't think he has.  ;)

Offline moish

• View Profile
A)  She was wearing a mask but took it off momentarily to drink. - have you ever been in Yerushalayim sun? They were not reasonable
Any evidence of that? And yes, Ive been in the Yerushalayim sun -- and worn a mask.

B) The over aggressive manner the police used to handle her
I didn't notice anything crazy.

Whatever.

Offline NTorch

• View Profile
Any evidence of that? And yes, Ive been in the Yerushalayim sun -- and worn a mask.

Whatever.

She is 13 years old, police should not be detaining a 13 year old walking a baby stroller.

Not saying that it was OK that she was not wearing a mask and have no idea how long she had the mask off, but police officers should not be detaining kids.

Offline JACKBLUE

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
She is 13 years old, police should not be detaining a 13 year old walking a baby stroller.

Not saying that it was OK that she was not wearing a mask and have no idea how long she had the mask off, but police officers should not be detaining kids.
+1

Offline Happyguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile

And so do most Israelis. If it's dangerous to go without a mask and if it is sakanas nefashos then one has to wear one - yes sun or no sun.
In my opinion a 13yr old should be given a fine if that's the law. But since fines aren't being given to majority of offenders it's totally unfair and disgusting to pick her out just because she is Chareidi.

Offline JACKBLUE

• View Profile
And so do most Israelis. If it's dangerous to go without a mask and if it is sakanas nefashos then one has to wear one - yes sun or no sun.
In my opinion a 13yr old should be given a fine if that's the law. But since fines aren't being given to majority of offenders it's totally unfair and disgusting to pick her out just because she is Chareidi.
a 13 year old should not be getting a fine just for not wearing a mask, if she would be told by police to put on and she would laugh them in the face would be a total different story, she’s a kid after all.

Offline Happyguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
a 13 year old should not be getting a fine just for not wearing a mask, if she would be told by police to put on and she would laugh them in the face would be a total different story, she’s a kid after all.
If it's proven to be dangerous to go out without a mask then she should get fined.
After all who will pay the fine? Her parents.
It's their responsibility that their children should wear masks. If someone not wearing a mask is a danger to the public it should make no difference how old they are.
Will a shop not charge a parent for damage that their child did in a shop?

Offline JACKBLUE

• View Profile
I would't compare the 2, but i agree to disagree!

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
If it's proven to be dangerous to go out without a mask then she should get fined.
It's their responsibility that their children should wear masks. If someone not wearing a mask is a danger to the public it should make no difference how old they are.
You're making it sound like she was walking around with a loaded gun.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline moish

• View Profile
Preach. We're talking about a 13 year old here, not a 5 year old. Old enough to understand to wear a mask and old enough to get fined. I don't get the whole uproar.