Author Topic: Israeli police do right by the 13 year old girl ticketed for not wearing a mask  (Read 3158 times)

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
You're making it sound like she was walking around with a loaded gun.
When there are 1800 cases a day in Israel, a bulk in the area she was pulled over to warrant a lockdown in that area shortly thereafter, yes, she is threatening public health by going around without a mask.

Offline NTorch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
Preach. We're talking about a 13 year old here, not a 5 year old. Old enough to understand to wear a mask and old enough to get fined. I don't get the whole uproar.

Its not about the fine, its about the way that they did it. When I was fresh out of law school I worked in the Family Court Bureau and spent a few months prosecuting JDs. When the police are dealing with non-violent crimes they treat children differently than adults. They don't detain 13 yr old kids for health code violations. If you saw the video you would understand the uproar.

Offline Happyguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Its not about the fine, its about the way that they did it. When I was fresh out of law school I worked in the Family Court Bureau and spent a few months prosecuting JDs. When the police are dealing with non-violent crimes they treat children differently than adults. They don't detain 13 yr old kids for health code violations. If you saw the video you would understand the uproar.
I saw it. The uproar was that there were thousands of secular people walking around the streets without masks and not getting fined and the police had to fine a Charedi girl.  It is outrageous to hold children to a higher standard then adults. But if they were ticketing those people I would have no problem enforcing theses laws on children.

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Any evidence of that? And yes, Ive been in the Yerushalayim sun -- and worn a mask.
I didn't notice anything crazy.

Whatever.
I want saying she shouldnt be wearing a mask. I was justifying her pulling it down to take a drink
Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
I saw it. The uproar was that there were thousands of secular people walking around the streets without masks and not getting fined and the police had to fine a Charedi girl.  It is outrageous to hold children to a higher standard then adults. But if they were ticketing those people I would have no problem enforcing theses laws on children.
Did you see the full video or an edited version? Did you notice any adults walking past without masks on their nose? Did you notice that the infant wasnt wearing a mask (as per health guidelines)?
Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL

Offline Happyguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
I want saying she shouldn't be wearing a mask. I was justifying her pulling it down to take a drink
I am with you on that one. My point was about children wearing masks not Batya Getter specifically. I was responding to this post.
She is 13 years old, police should not be detaining a 13 year old walking a baby stroller.

Not saying that it was OK that she was not wearing a mask and have no idea how long she had the mask off, but police officers should not be detaining kids.