Author Topic: Need a laptop....  (Read 1194 times)

Offline MnM1130

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Need a laptop....
« on: November 10, 2010, 05:46:41 AM »
My dad is looking for a laptop for his business... hes so far been through dell and toshiba (diff models of both names) in the past few months, and they were both terrible. He looking for a new company and a new computer... He needs a few specs in this new computer and ive been looking around and just wondering if anyone can help me with this. Ive read through other threads and didnt find anything applicable to me. (1)MOST IMP he needs someone that the customer service is people out of the Indian territory, cus they REALLY suck. so customer service is the most imp.(2) size doesnt really matter- (3) back-lit keyboard (4) blue-tooth (5) at least 4 GB/320+ GB hd (6) windows 7 (7) and a fast processor.. being its for business... (webcam and fingerprinting wud b nice but not entirely imp)
Price can vary- but expensive is not always better being the computers only last 2-3 years nowadays may as well settle for chpr.  but just needs something GOOD. hes sick and tired of dealing with these companys and im dealin with the companys also and im sick and tired also..
If you have any ideas.. it would be helpful.
oh- and he needs it int he next week or so...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Need a laptop....
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 09:50:37 AM »
I'm in love with Sony Vaio Z series, but be prepared to shell out $$$$ unless you really know how to get a deal (as AsherO and I were able to do).
If size doesn't matter then there are tons of Lenovo deals that should meet the bill for him.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ishkabible

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 10:24:57 AM »
I don't mean to cast any doubt over your father's account, but I'm just curious, what issues did he have with his Dell?  I've had my current Dell Latitude for just over a year with no problems (my business machine).  Additionally, I still have an old Inspiron E1405 that's over 4 years old and it runs Windows 7 like a dream.  I bought full protection on it and just a few months back the hard drive finally died.  Dell overnighted me a new LARGER hard drive.  They're not always the greatest to deal with over the phone unless you have a corporate support plan, but I love their online chat tech support.

In any case, if support is your top concern, I'm not their biggest fan, but apple is the way to go.  It's nearly 100% US based support and pretty comprehensive since they also make the operating system.  I recommend them to all my non-tech savvy friends who seem to break computers just by turning them on.

Offline MnM1130

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 12:31:32 PM »
So i LOVE the sony viao- loved it when i first used it 5 yrs ago.. but its a lotta flippin money. and i cant find any huge amazing deals.. so thats out.. and ishkabible- Ive had my latitude for 3 years now.. love it- still works just fine. But for some reason my dads was really bad and his customer service plan that he had was REALLY BAD!! i have amazing service with dell i speak to americans...he didnt get that.. had huge problems with his system they sent him 4 computers... anyhow its over and done with and he wont hear of dell anymore (i dint blame him) also another problem with this whole computer issues is that we live in israel and every time theres sumthin rong its gotta b sent back and fixed and yadiayada.. so he needed sumthin thats easier to deal with.. lenovo seems like the way to go but i dint c any really gr8 deals yet..

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 09:50:46 PM »
(1)MOST IMP he needs someone that the customer service is people out of the Indian territory, cus they REALLY suck. so customer service is the most imp.(2) size doesnt really matter- (3) back-lit keyboard (4) blue-tooth (5) at least 4 GB/320+ GB hd (6) windows 7 (7) and a fast processor.. being its for business... (webcam and fingerprinting wud b nice but not entirely imp)
1) The Dell XPS systems all have 100% US based support and I've never had problems in the 5 yrs that I've owned an XPS laptop.

2) Size DOES matter, or at least that's what my spam filter keeps telling me.

3) I believe Dell has a few systems with backlit keyboards.

4, 5, 6, 7 and 8) You can get all of these on a Dell system.
-Eli