Author Topic: Lakewood covid cases  (Read 522640 times)

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Lakewood covid cases
« Reply #1680 on: September 27, 2020, 11:24:27 AM »
From what I heard they believe that virtually everyone there has been heavily exposed between the many mesivta bochurim that had it as well as the beis medrash. The covid section is, in their estimation,  almost just going through the motions.

Heavily exposed=excuse to do whatever I want
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: September 27, 2020, 11:24:48 AM »
FTFY
Herd Infection = Herd Immunity.

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: September 27, 2020, 11:26:17 AM »
Heavily exposed=excuse to do whatever I want
I just keep coming back to this. Are they willfully misinterpreting what exposure is?

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: September 27, 2020, 11:27:46 AM »
Herd Infection = potential future Herd Immunity.
FTFY

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: September 27, 2020, 11:29:31 AM »
Thankfully I have a personal rov whom I trust, this is the rov of my shul.

I did have a conversation with him. He brought up a bunch of silly arguments about masks but then explained where it's really coming from. He said hishtadlus is a chiyuv but it doesn't accomplish anything. Right now, his daas torah says there's no shchichi hezeika and therefore masks are not part of the hishtadlus. And I should stop trying to play god.

So yeah.

If that's his daas Torah and his gadol hador, then he has על מי לסמוך. This is how klal yisroel works.

I'm assuming he went through the different tzedadim and data thoroughly with someone who he considers to be יפתח בדורנו

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: September 27, 2020, 11:34:45 AM »
If that's his daas Torah and his gadol hador, then he has על מי לסמוך. This is how klal yisroel works.

I'm assuming he went through the different tzedadim and data thoroughly with someone who he considers to be יפתח בדורנו
It's כנגד שכל הישר
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1686 on: September 27, 2020, 11:37:28 AM »
From what I heard they believe that virtually everyone there has been heavily exposed between the many mesivta bochurim that had it as well as the beis medrash. The covid section is, in their estimation,  almost just going through the motions.
I have heard this of a bunch of places. The bigger problem is that includes places with Yungeleit who go about their lives as normal. From first hand experience.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: September 27, 2020, 11:38:52 AM »

Which wouldmean of course that they are telling everyone there to quarantine after Yom Kippur, right?

Offline bhoaem

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: September 27, 2020, 11:39:36 AM »
I’m aware of quite a few Rabbanim in Lakewood who wear masks personally and encourage others to do so as well, but do not force it.

Rabbi Zimbal from Westgate does and has been for some time. I hear of R Micha Cohen from Oakley Hills, R’ Yitzchok Sorotzkin, and R Yerucham. Can anyone confirm/deny these?
R' Yitzchak Sorotzkin had a corona sukka (plexiglass) for rosh hashanah with separate entrance and cordoned off section for his wife. He did daven musaf for the amud (not in the sukka) without a mask. By Oleinu his sons wore masks and gloves to help him. They had a bimah mechitza and he wore a mask to get an aliyah. (Didnt see if he wore the mask while making the bracha)

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: September 27, 2020, 11:41:50 AM »
It's כנגד שכל הישר

דעת בעל הבתים נגד דעת תורה

What am I supposed to say? I don't understand it either (and it eats me up that I see people and communities systemically engaged in activity that seems to me to be something inevitable to result in unnecessary imminent tragic deaths, for very little benefit). However, klal yisroel is set up with a mesora of listening to daas Torah even when they tell you to jump (assuming the one who advised as such has accurate data and is worthy of the title of daas Torah).

לא מחשבותי מחשבותיכם

(Note: my daas Torah does not think this is a joke. At all. However, if a legitimate gadol says otherwise, I respect his adherents who follow him in everything else for following in this too. Obviously, one who cherry picks psakim for his convenience is possibly a rotzeach if he infects someone due to negligence.)

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1690 on: September 27, 2020, 11:48:24 AM »
The same guy:

*2 weeks ago* “Masks don’t work, anyway it’s fake positives, there’s herd immunity”
*last week* “Yes I was exposed and told to isolate but I’m not, everyone is exposed anyway, it’s everywhere”
*today* “Yes I have corona, but don’t worry- I’m wearing a mask!”

- From multiple people over the last 2 weeks.

Online Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: September 27, 2020, 12:04:52 PM »
The same guy:

*2 weeks ago* “Masks don’t work, anyway it’s fake positives, there’s herd immunity”
*last week* “Yes I was exposed and told to isolate but I’m not, everyone is exposed anyway, it’s everywhere”
*today* “Yes I have corona, but don’t worry- I’m wearing a mask!”

- From multiple people over the last 2 weeks.
Give them credit for wearing a mask.

Online dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: September 27, 2020, 12:06:15 PM »
דעת בעל הבתים נגד דעת תורה

What am I supposed to say? I don't understand it either (and it eats me up that I see people and communities systemically engaged in activity that seems to me to be something inevitable to result in unnecessary imminent tragic deaths, for very little benefit). However, klal yisroel is set up with a mesora of listening to daas Torah even when they tell you to jump (assuming the one who advised as such has accurate data and is worthy of the title of daas Torah).

לא מחשבותי מחשבותיכם

(Note: my daas Torah does not think this is a joke. At all. However, if a legitimate gadol says otherwise, I respect his adherents who follow him in everything else for following in this too. Obviously, one who cherry picks psakim for his convenience is possibly a rotzeach if he infects someone due to negligence.)

This is not the yiddishkeit that I was mikabel from my rabbeim, including one of the זקני ראשי ישיבה in America. I was encouraged to directly question his eitzos and hadracha until it made sense to me and he would never ever give over a מילתא בלא טאמא and certainly not when it goes against what every בר שכל knows.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #1693 on: September 27, 2020, 12:09:58 PM »
This is not the yiddishkeit that I was mikabel from my rabbeim, including one of the זקני ראשי ישיבה in America. I was encouraged to directly question his eitzos and hadracha until it made sense to me and he would never ever give over a מילתא בלא טאמא and certainly not when it goes against what every בר שכל knows.
This is part of a PM conversation I was having

They are convinced it’s a weaker strain, herd immunity, the flu, masks don’t work, the economy, doctors killing people, false positive, no asymptomatic spread, whatever you hear from people on the street. When there’s an information imbalance or obfuscation (something that is clearly happening) that you believe is influencing the decision you can remove that from the equation of generally trusting a Rav on matters that have all of the factors laid out.

You may ask, why doesn’t he ask a doctor? He probably doesn’t trust doctors in this regard because some people high up in the hierarchy are shoving their prior agendas vis a vis the medical establishment down a more receptive audience’s throats. Remember, nobody *wants* to believe they need to disrupt their lives, so it’s easy enough.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: September 27, 2020, 12:10:54 PM »
A relative asked me why I even tested for covid when my child had symptoms; they said that in their neighborhood "everyone" has it now and they assume they have it; so it's not even a shaila whether to go to shul...

People really need to look up the definition of "everyone".

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: September 27, 2020, 12:30:19 PM »
And "assume"
And "has it"
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: September 27, 2020, 12:30:20 PM »
A relative asked me why I even tested for covid when my child had symptoms; they said that in their neighborhood "everyone" has it now and they assume they have it; so it's not even a shaila whether to go to shul...

People really need to look up the definition of "everyone".

Like when my children say "but everyone is doing it" and I ask them to tell me how many everyone's. Children big and small. Some children who are grandparents do the same.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: September 27, 2020, 12:33:19 PM »
+100000000000000000

I was always encouraged to ask by my rebbeim Rav Levi Dicker ZTL, Rav Avrohom Pessin ZTL and ybl"c Rav Meir Stern SHLITA.

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: September 27, 2020, 12:39:56 PM »
Especially when it comes to areas of medicine, I don't believe there's ever a chiyuv to go against the opinion of the majority of doctors.

People keep taking the concept of "listen to the rov even if he tells you to jump" way out of context.

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: September 27, 2020, 12:42:49 PM »
+100000000000000000

I was always encouraged to ask by my rebbeim Rav Levi Dicker ZTL, Rav Avrohom Pessin ZTL and ybl"c Rav Meir Stern SHLITA.

Of course. Who ever said not to ask? I'm assuming whoever was speaking to the Adam gadol went over all of the tzedadim thoroughly.