Author Topic: Lakewood covid cases  (Read 536580 times)

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Re: Lakewood covid cases
« Reply #2700 on: December 02, 2020, 11:34:10 PM »
Refuah Shelaimah!

Any symptoms?
Headache, slight cough, felt a little unwell, otherwise ok B”H.

DW just developed a fever for the first time, which is weird.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline eyj

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: December 03, 2020, 12:07:58 AM »
What are you talking about? Less than 20% (an estimated 17.9%) remained asymptomatic.

Source
The best estimate here also did not factor in the limitation you raised- that these “asymptomatic” carriers may just as well be patients who have already recovered from COVID with lingering virus cells. Remember, the study was conducted in August.
So you’re saying that the testing perfectly captures the amount of people who currently have COVID? Got it.

Again, what is your point?
Not what I’ve seen
https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-06-12/most-asymptomatic-coronavirus-cases-stay-that-way-cruise-ship-data-shows

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: December 03, 2020, 12:17:54 AM »
Not what I’ve seen
https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-06-12/most-asymptomatic-coronavirus-cases-stay-that-way-cruise-ship-data-shows
You're reading that incorrectly. Majority of those who tested positive without symptoms were asymptomatic and not presymptomatic. But that entire cohort is only 20-40% of total Covid carriers
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2703 on: December 03, 2020, 12:25:05 AM »

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2704 on: December 03, 2020, 08:14:33 AM »
You should reread that article. It doesn’t say what you want it to.
FTFY
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline eyj

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: December 03, 2020, 10:02:14 AM »
You are correct. Early articles did give a very high percentage but that was revised sharply downward in later studies. For example
https://cmmid.github.io/topics/covid19/asymp-transmission.html

Regardless of percent asymptomatic, the dynamic  is still going to be there. Serology studies show that the official number of positives in a population are a fraction of the actual case numbers which means that the vast majority of cases never get tested. Even if most of these uncounted people are mildly symptomatic, if they now come in to get tested because they have more significant (flu) symptoms that brings up the numbers significantly.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2706 on: December 03, 2020, 10:11:40 AM »
I'm really not sure what the argument is. If doctors in Lakewood say that the actual numbers are safely 5x what the reported cases are, and there are now more people testing because of other reasons (prevalence of other viruses), it stands to reason that more of the cases will now be caught/documented. It doesn't change the actual prevalence of Covid in the community, but it probably should cause people to revise the "5x" calculation.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: December 03, 2020, 10:23:57 AM »
I'm really not sure what the argument is. If doctors in Lakewood say that the actual numbers are safely 5x what the reported cases are, and there are now more people testing because of other reasons (prevalence of other viruses), it stands to reason that more of the cases will now be caught/documented. It doesn't change the actual prevalence of Covid in the community, but it probably should cause people to revise the "5x" calculation.
The reason why they estimate the 5x number is because they're extrapolating based on previous waves and how those were tracked. The medical community in Lakewood has a tracker which is run by chemed (a large medical clinic), with the goal that all medical establishments will participate by voluntarily submitting information about positive cases (symptoms, previous positives etc.). While this is a noble and extremely useful project, the majority of practices have not been submitting their information (spoke to a couple of doctors about this; it's somewhat political). Additionally, there's a sizable portion of the community that won't test for ideological reasons. Therefore, chemed has been estimating that they're only tracking 20% of the true number.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2708 on: December 03, 2020, 10:29:13 AM »
The 5x includes people tested at sites not reporting to this clearing house.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2709 on: December 03, 2020, 10:30:32 AM »
The reason why they estimate the 5x number is because they're extrapolating based on previous waves and how those were tracked. The medical community in Lakewood has a tracker which is run by chemed (a large medical clinic), with the goal that all medical establishments will participate by voluntarily submitting information about positive cases (symptoms, previous positives etc.). While this is a noble and extremely useful project, the majority of practices have not been submitting their information (spoke to a couple of doctors about this; it's somewhat political). Additionally, there's a sizable portion of the community that won't test for ideological reasons. Therefore, chemed has been estimating that they're only tracking 20% of the true number.

I understand all of that. What I believe @eyj is saying is that many of those cases are now being caught, because people are getting tested for other reasons, such as trying to diagnose other illnesses. Where before someone who was exposed and had either no symptoms or mild symptoms would not have tested, now things like the flu are forcing people into urgent cares and doctors' offices, where they are getting testing (if only to rule out Covid).

This is where positivity rate becomes important.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: December 03, 2020, 10:33:10 AM »
The 5x includes people tested at sites not reporting to this clearing house.

I'm not saying eliminate the multiples completely, I'm just saying revise it down to maybe 4x or 3x to account for people who are showing up at the doctor because of a cold, strep, the flu, or other seasonal issues, and are now testing when they wouldn't have otherwise.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: December 03, 2020, 10:35:27 AM »
I'm the last person to start downplaying Covid. My personal opinion is that less weight should be given to case counts right now, and more attention should be focused on hospitalizations and positivity rates.

Offline eyj

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: December 03, 2020, 10:54:43 AM »
I'm the last person to start downplaying Covid. My personal opinion is that less weight should be given to case counts right now, and more attention should be focused on hospitalizations and positivity rates.
Agree with all of the above. This is a significant uptick and my theory is more academic than practical.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2713 on: December 03, 2020, 12:41:28 PM »
I'm not saying eliminate the multiples completely, I'm just saying revise it down to maybe 4x or 3x to account for people who are showing up at the doctor because of a cold, strep, the flu, or other seasonal issues, and are now testing when they wouldn't have otherwise.
The inverse may be true as well. People are more likely to chalk it up to a cold/flu/other virus now that other things are going around.

Hospitalizations always follow cases, so the cases need to be given their proper weight so we don’t reach the point of hospitalizations. Positivity numbers are completely disregarded around town because most people don’t grasp the fundamentals of a positivity rate.

Total cases estimated by CHEMED is a fairly accurate way to gauge current spread, and they should use positivity in their calculation as well. The theory of more asymptomatic/lightly symptomatic people testing because of other viruses is certainly possible, but unlikely to skew the numbers in either direction too much in the grand scheme of things. Viruses go around in lots of places.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 12:47:18 PM by S209 »

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2714 on: December 03, 2020, 12:58:15 PM »
You are correct. Early articles did give a very high percentage but that was revised sharply downward in later studies. For example
https://cmmid.github.io/topics/covid19/asymp-transmission.html

This is because much (most?) of transmission is presymptomatic, which wasn’t differentiated early (as they did not follow up with most patients to see if symptoms manifested later)

Regardless of percent asymptomatic, the dynamic  is still going to be there. Serology studies show that the official number of positives in a population are a fraction of the actual case numbers which means that the vast majority of cases never get tested. Even if most of these uncounted people are mildly symptomatic, if they now come in to get tested because they have more significant (flu) symptoms that brings up the numbers significantly.
It’s a potential theory, but the inverse can be true as well. You’re assuming that Lakewood is different than the rest of the world- but when countries around the world are shown to miss many cases, that includes many populations with other viruses going around as well, perhaps with some (but likely not massive, or else they would have been noticed by science) variation in detected cases/cases.

It’s not a theory I’d hang my hat on.

Offline Dirtyshirt

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2715 on: December 04, 2020, 11:50:50 AM »
Definitely other viruses going around Lakewood as well. Several family members have flu like symptoms. Negative covid tests and recent antibodies. Probably the worst I’ve felt since covid in March.  Just standard flu symptoms though. There is obviously a rise in covid numbers in the frum Lakewood  community, no doubt about it, but I really wonder if some of the increased positive numbers we are seeing are exacerbated by so many people testing due to symptoms that are actually caused by the run of the mill virus and incidentally testing positive for covid. Chemed ran out of rapids the other day and I understand that other places are busy as well.

Really wonder if these are truly "Definitely other viruses" or if these are people that are testing too early to show a result. Have they actually tested positive for flu or are they simply negative for Covid after 1 test. There are numerous cases of people retesting after negative results and then testing positive.

Online avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: December 04, 2020, 11:58:44 AM »
Really wonder if these are truly "Definitely other viruses" or if these are people that are testing too early to show a result. Have they actually tested positive for flu or are they simply negative for Covid after 1 test. There are numerous cases of people retesting after negative results and then testing positive.
Other viruses go around on a pretty frequent basis.
What is too early to test? Is it common for people to test negative after symptoms already started?
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: December 04, 2020, 12:18:19 PM »
FWIW the PCR picks up other respiratory viruses. The labs should have data on other viruses circulating and it's probably reported to databases.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline eyj

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: December 04, 2020, 12:40:41 PM »
Other family members tested negative on the PCR with recently Confirmed antibodies. I tested at least a couple days after significant symptom onset and just came back negative. Recently confirmed antibodies as well. Feel pretty lousy but no fever or cough. I’m going to say the overwhelming odds are that this is not a covid reinfection.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2719 on: December 04, 2020, 02:03:26 PM »
What is too early to test? Is it common for people to test negative after symptoms already started?
Yes. Depending on the day since infection/exposure, the false negative rate can be up to 50%. My mother tested negative a day before her positive, a day or two after symptom onset. Even at the period with the highest level of viral shed the false positive rate is small but significant.
FWIW the PCR picks up other respiratory viruses. The labs should have data on other viruses circulating and it's probably reported to databases.
The tests being administered are 99.5% specific to COVID-19. IINM the only viruses they can detect are coronaviruses.