Author Topic: Lakewood covid cases  (Read 536292 times)

Offline dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lakewood covid cases
« Reply #3080 on: January 25, 2021, 09:45:01 PM »
It's incredible how many people reached out to me to thank me for merely putting out some "inconvenient" facts to give a little balance to the picture.
What's even more incredible is how many people mentioned how they feel bullied on this forum if they don't toe the politically correct line. That was certainly an eye-opener.

Not sure how people feel bullied on a mostly anonymous forum. Am I supposed to care what some other anonymous person thinks about my opinion? And more to the point, there is overall very little name calling or anything else that can be described as bullying going on here. Most of what I see here is vigorous debate of heartfelt opinions.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: January 25, 2021, 09:49:15 PM »
It's incredible how many people reached out to me to thank me for merely putting out some "inconvenient" facts to give a little balance to the picture.
What's even more incredible is how many people mentioned how they feel bullied on this forum if they don't toe the politically correct line. That was certainly an eye-opener.

People propagating deadly lies should be bullied. We should be proud.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: January 25, 2021, 09:51:05 PM »
Feelings don't care about your facts.

That's not exactly fair.

Nobody should be feeling bullied regardless of their positions or what they post. And unfortunately, I have definitely seen it here both ways coming from both sides.

This is not Trump Fans vs BLM Fans (or whatever far right vs left groups you choose) where there is a complete and total lack of any modicum of respect. People here should be able to respectfully express their views without being afraid that they are going to be attacked for those views. There's a way to phrase things in a non-aggressive or offensive manner even if you vehemently disagree with someone.

I'm not speaking specifically to you because I quoted your post. I'm speaking to the general oilim here :).

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: January 25, 2021, 09:53:30 PM »
People propagating deadly lies should be bullied. We should be proud.

No, bullying is wrong. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

You'll be better off refuting the deadly lies with data and facts on the ground than bullying.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: January 25, 2021, 09:55:37 PM »
People here should be able to respectfully express their views without being afraid that they are going to be attacked for those views. There's a way to phrase things in a non-aggressive or offensive manner even if you vehemently disagree with someone.
The post below isn't a view. It's a lie. There aren't two sides to it. It's not an excuse to attack anybody personally, which I don't condone, but the lies should not be respected or tolerated. If people feel uncomfortable posting lies here, we're doing something right.

Most of Lakewood has immunity.
It's an indisputable fact.

״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: January 25, 2021, 10:00:41 PM »
The post below isn't a view. It's a lie. There aren't two sides to it. It's not an excuse to attack anybody personally, which I don't condone, but the lies should not be respected or tolerated. If people feel uncomfortable posting lies here, we're doing something right.

Lying is wrong. So is bullying. I believe we agree on that.

Instead of bullying the guy who posts the lie, just bring a fact refuting said lie to unequivocally prove it wrong. Simple as that. They won't lie again so fast if they see how the lies are exposed so fast.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: January 25, 2021, 10:03:00 PM »

Instead of bullying the guy who posts the lie, just bring a fact refuting said lie to unequivocally prove it wrong. Simple as that. They won't lie again so fast if they see how the lies are exposed so fast.
One doesn't need to provide any facts to argue that saying something is an indisputable fact without evidence is a lie.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #3087 on: January 25, 2021, 10:05:46 PM »
Yes there absolutely are tradeoffs that need to be made, but there are some items which there is not real tradeoff of significance. One of those is large weddings. So much of the spread and the accompanying tragedies can be attributed to large weddings.
+ 1 Billion
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: January 25, 2021, 10:08:20 PM »
One doesn't need to provide any facts to argue that saying something is an indisputable fact without evidence is a lie.

Granted. Everyone should be held responsible for backing up their statements.

I still wouldn't be proud of bullying even if someone outright lies.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: January 25, 2021, 10:11:52 PM »

Polls on DDF are anonymous. Start a poll in a new topic and PM all these imaginary people asking them to vote.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #3090 on: January 25, 2021, 10:13:14 PM »

If someone posits something with no evidence the onus is on them to prove that it is so.

I might add, this same statement has been recycled so many times in many waves over many seasons, each time ground to dust as facts became impossible to ignore.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: January 25, 2021, 10:13:51 PM »
+ 1 Billion

Feels like the number of times its been discussed on the COVID merry-go-round.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: January 25, 2021, 10:15:08 PM »
Yes there absolutely are tradeoffs that need to be made, but there are some items which there is not real tradeoff of significance. One of those is large weddings. So much of the spread and the accompanying tragedies can be attributed to large weddings.

Yes and no. Weddings are a big source of the spread. But at the same time people who don’t attend weddings shouldn’t get a false sense of security or feel no responsibility to mitigate COVID just because they don’t attend weddings.

Granted, people who don’t attend weddings because of COVID are likely to be careful elsewhere as well.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: January 25, 2021, 10:15:45 PM »
If someone posits something with no evidence the onus is on them to prove that it is so.

Did you read my next post?

Granted. Everyone should be held responsible for backing up their statements.

I might add, this same statement has been recycled so many times in many waves over many seasons, each time ground to dust as facts became impossible to ignore.

Which statement?

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: January 25, 2021, 10:16:48 PM »
Rav Yisroel Reisman said:

What happened is that the US has changed to a country in which people who have different opinions are totally dismissive of the people they disagree with. It is normal. I feel one way you feel the other way and I think that you are wrong and I am right. But it has come to a point where the people who disagree are criminals. The people who disagree are hoodlums. That is just the way the country has turned. Let this not happen to Frum Yidden. There are differences of opinion amongst the Frum Yidden. Differences of opinion on how to deal with the pandemic, how to deal with the masks, how to deal with the social distancing, how to deal with the vaccines. Hashem Yishmor, the most dangerous thing about this pandemic is that we see Jews talking about Jews who disagree with them as if they are criminals, as if they are hoodlums, as if they are fools, as if they are nuts. People are being totally dismissive of everyone else’s opinion.
I see Machloksim about Pikuach Nefashos in the Poskim and they talk respectfully. One says this is called Pikuach Nefashos one says this is not called Pikuach Nefashos. I see Machloksim and Gedolei Olam they talk respectfully one to the other. But today’s world everybody is dismissive. What happens in the Goyishe world creeps into our world.
If you have an opinion you are entitled to it. Stick to your opinion. Follow your medical advice. Follow whatever you say. But don’t talk about the others as crooks, as criminals, as fools, as what is going on here. Hashem Yishmor. Lashon Hora is Mazik everybody, the one who says, the one who listens, the one you talk about. We need so much Shemira.
Let’s take it upon ourselves B’ezras Hashem to be careful about the way we talk about people who disagree with us and people who agree with us. Let’s talk about Yidden with great care. Obviously there are differences of opinion. Responsible people on every side of the debate can have different opinions. You know something, we can live in a world where different people can have a different opinion. Hashem Yishmor Tzais’cha Uvo’echa Mai’ata V’ad Olam. We should have Shemira from physical Mazikim and even more from Aveiros. A Gutten Shabbos to one and all!         

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #3095 on: January 25, 2021, 10:20:44 PM »
Polls on DDF are anonymous. Start a poll in a new topic and PM all these imaginary people asking them to vote.
You wouldn’t believe how many people have PMd me thanking me for my post about LH miles, and how they feel bullied when they try to discuss Star Alliance deals.

I’m glad they’re turning to me as their self appointed spokesperson. Just putting out these inconvenient facts, politically correct line-toeing or not! Shame on everyone for marginalizing these voices. I won’t let truth, facts, or logic get in the way of my straw-manning!

(The vast majority of posters on the DDF COVID board are in the “Corona-denier” category, and I have been called “contrarian” and “just looking to fight” many times when calling out their false and mostly incoherent arguments. You might want to choose another position to defend if you’re looking to feel heroic and defiant).

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: January 25, 2021, 10:22:06 PM »
You wouldn’t believe how many people have PMd me thanking me for my post about LH miles, and how they feel bullied when they try to discuss Star Alliance deals.

I’m glad they’re turning to me as their self appointed spokesperson. Just putting out these inconvenient facts, politically correct line-toeing or not! Shame on everyone for marginalizing these voices. I won’t let truth, facts, or logic get in the way of my straw-manning!

(The vast majority of posters on the DDF COVID board are in the “Corona-denier” category, and I have been called “contrarian” and “just looking to fight” many times when calling out their false and mostly incoherent arguments. You might want to choose another position to defend if you’re looking to feel heroic and defiant).

You’re replying to me? I was talking to @ae123 whom I quoted in the post you quoted.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: January 25, 2021, 10:27:36 PM »
Excellent point.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: January 25, 2021, 10:28:59 PM »
Yes and no. Weddings are a big source of the spread. But at the same time people who don’t attend weddings shouldn’t get a false sense of security or feel no responsibility to mitigate COVID just because they don’t attend weddings.

Granted, people who don’t attend weddings because of COVID are likely to be careful elsewhere as well.

And don't we all know people who unfortunately got sick even though they were super careful? At least I do. We all need to put in our greatest effort to stop this monster but ultimately realize that its not in our control.

You’re replying to me? I was talking to @ae123 whom I quoted in the post you quoted.

Yeah, seems like there's a mixup here.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: January 25, 2021, 10:32:03 PM »
Rav Yisroel Reisman said:

Well said. However  I'm afraid many will skip over this saying TLDR, which is a shame.