Author Topic: Lakewood covid cases  (Read 536119 times)

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Lakewood covid cases
« Reply #3560 on: February 11, 2021, 06:54:44 PM »
Eh, I'm a relatively hard liner on COVID and 9 days vs. 10 days so far removed from symptoms, doesn't really bother me

I agree, but if it's only "no fever" for 7 days and there are other symptoms that's another story.
Visibly Jewish

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: February 11, 2021, 06:57:35 PM »
I've been told that Dr. Shanik is of the opinion that a patient sheds the virus for 14 days, and he says that the CDC only writes 10 because they know that nobody would listen to 14 days (and presumably the danger is mitigated after 10). Dr. Shanik personally advises people to wait 14 days.

If there is truth to that, then it may be questionable if one should cut corners on the 10-day time frame.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #3562 on: February 11, 2021, 07:00:16 PM »
I've been told that Dr. Shanik is of the opinion that a patient sheds the virus for 14 days, and he says that the CDC only writes 10 because they know that nobody would listen to 14 days (and presumably the danger is mitigated after 10). Dr. Shanik personally advises people to wait 14 days.

If there is truth to that, then it may be questionable if one should cut corners on the 10-day time frame.

IINM, 10 days is only with a negative PCR.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: February 11, 2021, 07:08:39 PM »
Eh, I'm a relatively hard liner on COVID and 9 days vs. 10 days so far removed from symptoms, doesn't really bother me
I tend to agree with you, but only for people who I'd trust to understand the gravity of the situation.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: February 11, 2021, 07:14:55 PM »
I've been told that Dr. Shanik is of the opinion that a patient sheds the virus for 14 days, and he says that the CDC only writes 10 because they know that nobody would listen to 14 days (and presumably the danger is mitigated after 10).
That's true about 14 days from exposure while testing netgative, where the CDC says explicitly 14 days is ideal, but 7-10 is a practical compromise. We know for a fact there are cases that incubate for longer than 14 days, and Hong Kong has mandatory quarantine for 21 to try to prevent those cases from getting transmitting.

In terms of shedding virus after testing positive and/or presenting symptoms, the CDC rules conclusively that 10 days is sufficient, and I'm unaware of any data that demonstrates that to be untrue in the rarest of events.

You can be with others after

At least 10 days since symptoms first appeared and
At least 24 hours with no fever without fever-reducing medication and
Other symptoms of COVID-19 are improving
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/isolation.html
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: February 11, 2021, 07:39:09 PM »
I agree somewhat. I don't think it's right to cut corners, but just compare it to plenty of people in our communities that go out (mask less), once they don't have symptoms, even if it's just a day or two

Offline dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: February 11, 2021, 08:30:57 PM »

When I called his office last week, I was told that my kids can go back to school 10 days after onset of symptoms or if asymptomatic, 10 days after positive PCR, provided they are fever free.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #3567 on: February 11, 2021, 08:39:52 PM »

It’s almost certain that whoever told you this is indeed confusing quarantine of exposed contacts with isolation of someone infected, as @PlatinumGuy suggested.

To the best of my knowledge there has never been a case worldwide shown to have transmitted virus more than 9 days in.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Proisrael

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #3568 on: February 12, 2021, 03:09:21 AM »

Israel requires 10 days from onset of symptoms (positive test) and 3 days symptom free. There is no requirement to test negative to be released.

Offline iwlw2

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: February 12, 2021, 09:39:10 AM »
Actually currently the CDC suggests 7 days with a negative PCR may be enough. Of course note that masking though day 14 is imperative...
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/scientific-brief-options-to-reduce-quarantine.html

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3570 on: February 12, 2021, 10:05:03 AM »
Actually currently the CDC suggests 7 days with a negative PCR may be enough. Of course note that masking though day 14 is imperative...
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/scientific-brief-options-to-reduce-quarantine.html

But @Mordyk believes only half of what he reads, so he isolated for 5 days and masked for 7 (e.g. at his passport appointment) :D
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline joe1234

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: February 12, 2021, 10:06:12 AM »
High risk person with COVID for 7 days, no fever, breathing is fine, is told by doctor that there is no reason at this point to get the antibody treatment. Is this the widely acceptable position?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #3572 on: February 12, 2021, 10:06:23 AM »

Regarding, leaving isolation after a confirmed infection, I was wrong. I confused the exposure and positive guidelines. Re the link you posted, that's for exposure. FWIW, three ID docs I went to for guidance after an exposure in my family all said that the CDC has been compromising on their guidelines in hopes that people will do something instead of nothing. The guidance I received was to avoid testing out and going the full 14 days if possible, and if I needed to test out, to take a PCR on day 7 and wait til day 10 even if it comes back negative.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: February 12, 2021, 10:08:14 AM »
But @Mordyk believes only half of what he reads, so he isolated for 5 days and masked for 7 (e.g. at his passport appointment) :D

I know you're joking, but let's not make it worse than it is. It was Day 9, and with a mask. I'm not a fan, but making him out to be the Grim Reaper isn't cool, either.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 10:11:38 AM by Lurker »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: February 12, 2021, 10:08:29 AM »
Regarding, leaving isolation after a confirmed infection, I was wrong. I confused the exposure and positive guidelines. Re the link you posted, that's for exposure. FWIW, three ID docs I went to for guidance after an exposure in my family all said that the CDC has been compromising on their guidelines in hopes that people will do something instead of nothing. The guidance I received was to avoid testing out and going the full 14 days if possible, and if I needed to test out, to take a PCR on day 7 and wait til day 10 even if it comes back negative.

All three doctors said the exact same thing? That's pretty impressive.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: February 12, 2021, 10:11:09 AM »

One told me not to test out under any circumstances. The other 2 have been pretty close in their Covid views throughout.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #3576 on: February 12, 2021, 10:13:37 AM »

One might even say incredible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: February 12, 2021, 10:15:00 AM »
I know you're joking, but let's not make it worse than it is. It was Day 9, and with a mask. I'm not a fan, but making him out to be the Grim Reaper isn't cool, either.

Yes and no. When people say:
People have different opinions.  My opinion might be totally wrong, and I'm ok with that. But I definitely don't enjoy going back and forth ;)
Then I reserve the right to be the same way.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: February 12, 2021, 10:15:39 AM »
One might even say incredible.

I'm sure it also helps that they knew I wasn't asking for heterim....

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Lakewood covid cases
« Reply #3579 on: February 12, 2021, 10:23:02 AM »
When someone's rhetoric has been to play it fast and loose with covid, they don't get the benefit of doubt that they're acting properly.