Author Topic: Lakewood covid cases  (Read 531065 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Lakewood covid cases
« Reply #3640 on: February 12, 2021, 03:45:39 PM »
No. It's more noticeable, because many of us look different and we hold ourselves to a higher standard. The world is a pretty narcissistic place these days.
I think if you compare the frum in Israel to the non-frum it's fairly obvious frum people are less concerned with the common good. I'm not saying they're out to hurt people, I'm saying we're failing in educating people to think about others first. And yes, torah and mitzvah are more beneficial than anything the non-frum do, that doesn't change anything.

Going to a simcha when you have a headache and no known exposure is not selfish.
That depends on how prevalent Covid is in the community. In any case, the definition of selfish is subjective. Most of the world sets the bar higher than posters here, and they hate us because they think we set it lower.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: February 12, 2021, 03:48:15 PM »
Living and feeding your families is one thing. A 500 person wedding is not that. Come on, now...
The same goes for you and @PlatinumGuy if your only issue was the weddings it would be one thing, but you guys conflate going to a wedding with 500 people after testing positive for COVID with not keeping kids home because they went to sleep late.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: February 12, 2021, 03:50:11 PM »
Who said anything about a headache? Coughing, sneezing, or any sinus issues are a different animal.
Op didn't say what his symptoms were all the times he didn't bother testing. The only one he mentioned was sinuses, which he didn't realize were a corona symptom. Considering that it isn't listed on CDC list of symptoms, that is fair. It is a different situation of one has a cold or something else viral

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: February 12, 2021, 03:52:21 PM »
The same goes for you and @PlatinumGuy if your only issue was the weddings it would be one thing, but you guys conflate going to a wedding with 500 people after testing positive for COVID with not keeping kids home because they went to sleep late.
I didn’t equate anything. I said your perception of how to draw the balance between your personal interest and the collective safety is leaning towards selfish more than the rest of the world, and they hate us for it.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #3644 on: February 12, 2021, 03:53:09 PM »

Show me where I even hinted at that. I don't have an issue with a Covid positive person going to a 500 person wedding. I have an issue with there being a 500 person wedding!! And I don't care if your kids want to sleep late, but if they have a cold, keep them home!
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #3645 on: February 12, 2021, 03:56:12 PM »
The problem is that you prefer to err on the side of your personal comfort instead of erring on the side of protecting everybody else.

The lack of concern for society is precisely what makes secular Jews hate frum Jews and non-Jews hate Jews  הָבָה נִתְחַכְּמָה לוֹ פֶּן יִרְבֶּה וְהָיָה כִּי תִקְרֶאנָה מִלְחָמָה וְנוֹסַף גַּם הוּא עַל שֹׂנְאֵינוּ וְנִלְחַם בָּנוּ

I don't have the time now to detail why, but this is one of the more vile comments I have seen on this forum, and that's saying something.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #3646 on: February 12, 2021, 03:58:52 PM »
Op didn't say what his symptoms were all the times he didn't bother testing. The only one he mentioned was sinuses, which he didn't realize were a corona symptom. Considering that it isn't listed on CDC list of symptoms, that is fair. It is a different situation of one has a cold or something else viral

A headache by itself is not a Covid symptom. It's a headache. I get 4 of them every week. Most people can tell the difference between a headache and something that may be contagious.

Look, I don't think it's crazy to live your life with some precautions without overreacting to every scrape or headache, but if you've got something going on to the point where you think you need to test for Covid, you need to stay home.

Online Jellybelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: February 12, 2021, 04:02:46 PM »
A headache by itself is not a Covid symptom. It's a headache. I get 4 of them every week. Most people can tell the difference between a headache and something that may be contagious.

Most people can tell the difference? I’ve heard of many people that tested positive that only had minor symptoms and never would’ve thought it was Corona.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: February 12, 2021, 04:08:58 PM »
Most people can tell the difference? I’ve heard of many people that tested positive that only had minor symptoms and never would’ve thought it was Corona.
What made them test specifically then? There was clearly some indication...

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: February 12, 2021, 04:13:13 PM »

Look, I don't think it's crazy to live your life with some precautions without overreacting to every scrape or headache, but if you've got something going on to the point where you think you need to test for Covid, you need to stay home.
This is exactly what avromie7 was saying
On a personal note, if I get a headache I continue going to shul etc, but I keep double checking myself if it's getting worse etc. Obviously fever, cough, etc is a different story, especially if exposed or possibly exposed

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: February 12, 2021, 04:14:33 PM »
I know a few people that had just a headache or super mild symptoms and only tested when family members and fellow shul friends tested positive

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: February 12, 2021, 04:19:56 PM »
I know a few people that had just a headache or super mild symptoms and only tested when family members and fellow shul friends tested positive
That’s a different scenario that OP. OP had symptoms that merited a test, but not abstaining from feeding his family attending a Sheva Brachos.

A negative test doesn’t tell you anything so he should’ve stayed home regardless.

As I said in the beginning, I’m not addressing his personal case, just the general Lakewood attitude under similar circumstances.

Online Jellybelly

• View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: February 12, 2021, 04:26:31 PM »
Very weak.
I can think of many reasons to test without symptoms

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: February 12, 2021, 04:27:29 PM »
That’s a different scenario that OP. OP had symptoms that merited a test, but not abstaining from feeding his family attending a Sheva Brachos.

A negative test doesn’t tell you anything so he should’ve stayed home regardless.

As I said in the beginning, I’m not addressing his personal case, just the general Lakewood attitude under similar circumstances.
My impression from ip was that it only merited a test because of Sheva brachos

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: February 12, 2021, 04:32:44 PM »
Very weak.
I can think of many reasons to test without symptoms
Of course. We’re talking about a case where symptoms alone merit a test.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: February 12, 2021, 04:34:29 PM »
My impression from ip was that it only merited a test because of Sheva brachos

At some point you stop running to get tested every time you feel a little under the weather. Earlier on I got tested when I wasn't feeing well, once was strep and another was just a virus. After that I stopped running to get tested every time I felt a little under the weather, of course this week the same thing happened and we decided to get tested just in case because we had a sheva brachos and wanted to avoid infecting anyone on the off chance that it was COVID... and it was. Interestingly, while my wife got a positive rapid (and PCR), my rapid came back negative but my PCR came back positive.

If I'm reading this correctly, the sheva brachos inspired him to rule out Covid because he was already feeling under the weather. I don't want to take away from him making the effort to get tested. It was the right thing to do and should be 100% commended. Separately, considering going to sheva brachos when feeling under the weather is just ill-advised (no pun intended).

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #3656 on: February 12, 2021, 04:42:28 PM »
I don't have the time now to detail why, but this is one of the more vile comments I have seen on this forum, and that's saying something.

No words.

Offline ShimshonK

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: February 12, 2021, 04:46:31 PM »
if you've got something going on to the point where you think you need to test for Covid, you need to stay home.
I agree, but unfortunately, some people take this logic as a reason not to test. They feel guilty going out after testing (before getting results), but if they simply don't test, they just say that they never thought it was covid altogether.

Online Jellybelly

• View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: February 12, 2021, 04:51:03 PM »
This is where @CountValentine would say, you have to get  out more

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Lakewood covid cases
« Reply #3659 on: February 13, 2021, 07:35:56 PM »
Apparently there's been a massive spike of stillborns over the past couple of weeks. (Specifically stillborns, didn't hear about miscarriages.)