Author Topic: Lakewood covid cases  (Read 533508 times)

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Lakewood covid cases
« Reply #4060 on: June 02, 2021, 09:10:21 AM »
FTFY. IINM that was the first day any place started giving it to that age group.

False.

If the whole world had the same COVID risk profile as children there would barely be talks of a pandemic, let alone masking.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #4061 on: June 02, 2021, 09:11:58 AM »
Do you honestly believe it's reasonable to force kids to wear masks?

Depending on the age, setting, and circumstance, yes. But that wasn't my point. The false narrative that kids aren't affected needs to go away already. There have been enough documented cases of long Covid in kids and teens to prove that wrong.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #4062 on: June 02, 2021, 09:13:22 AM »
If the whole world had the same COVID risk profile as children there would barely be talks of a pandemic, let alone masking.

You're usually much more nuanced than that. There's a lot of space between "pandemic" and "doesn't really affect them."

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: June 02, 2021, 09:18:03 AM »
You're usually much more nuanced than that. There's a lot of space between "pandemic" and "doesn't really affect them."

Depending on the age, setting, and circumstance, yes. But that wasn't my point. The false narrative that kids aren't affected needs to go away already. There have been enough documented cases of long Covid in kids and teens to prove that wrong.

I’m sure there are children that died as well. But none of this is a significant enough risk to force masking. That’s what I mean by not “really” affecting them though that language can be more detailed. It affects a small percentage children but not significantly enough to enforce masking.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: June 02, 2021, 09:30:49 AM »
I’m sure there are children that died as well. But none of this is a significant enough risk to force masking. That’s what I mean by not “really” affecting them though that language can be more detailed. It affects a small percentage children but not significantly enough to enforce masking.

Again, my personal opinion is that it's very much dependent on the circumstances. But I've seen studies out of Israel and the UK that puts the number between 10-13% of kids ending up with long Covid. I have a close relative with long Covid, and I've seen a few cases in my community. Dan posted an article a couple weeks ago about a hospital in Cleveland opening a pediatric long Covid wing. It's definitely a bigger issue than a cold or the flu. Whether that requires masks to avoid it.... While there may be arguments against it, it's by no means a clear cut "no."

Offline dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4065 on: June 02, 2021, 09:47:38 AM »
 I think the point is, there is no logical way to assume that covid spread would increase by a single case if every kid rode the buses unmasked. How do I know?  Very simple, there is no masking by the very same kids in school, shul, stores, etc. The only place in the entire 08701 zip code where you can spot a kid in a mask is on the bus. 

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: June 02, 2021, 09:52:37 AM »
I think the point is, there is no logical way to assume that covid spread would increase by a single case if every kid rode the buses unmasked. How do I know?  Very simple, there is no masking by the very same kids in school, shul, stores, etc. The only place in the entire 08701 zip code where you can spot a kid in a mask is on the bus.

If these same kids are in multiple other settings with the same risk factors and no masks, then I agree - masking on the bus isn't helping them. It may help the driver, but at this point, the drivers should be vaccinated or find different jobs.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Lakewood covid cases
« Reply #4067 on: June 02, 2021, 09:58:27 AM »
If these same kids are in multiple other settings with the same risk factors and no masks, then I agree - masking on the bus isn't helping them. It may help the driver, but at this point, the drivers should be vaccinated or find different jobs.
My understanding is that the kids wore masks on the bus to placate the drivers who were concerned (remember that school in Lakewood restarted in May/June 2020). At this point it's likely just inertia.

(Though my daughter contracted covid from her bus driver...)

Online cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: June 02, 2021, 10:16:40 AM »
Two adult attendees at a Chumash party tested positive shortly afterward in the past few days. People still need to be reminded to stay home if they are symptomatic.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #4069 on: June 02, 2021, 10:17:32 AM »

(Though my daughter contracted covid from her bus driver...)

I'm still wondering how people can be so sure who infected them.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4070 on: June 02, 2021, 10:25:22 AM »
Obviously it's just a guess, bu my friend and I were hanging out with someone from Milan in February 2020 for several hours and we both got COVID, followed by half of Milan.
My son's Rabbi tested positive for COVID in December, followed by him and half his classmates.

But yes, they're guesses at best.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 10:29:36 AM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #4071 on: June 02, 2021, 10:25:34 AM »
Don’t know why people keep spreading the myth that

One item that COVID brought out is how gullible our community is that they are ready to take any shtusim fed to them and run without any thought about whether it has any basis at all in reality.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: June 02, 2021, 10:25:46 AM »
Because no one else she was in contact the previous 10 or so days had covid. It happened around yom tov time so she was home 95% of the time prior...

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: June 02, 2021, 10:26:04 AM »
She started coughing heavily and cursing in Russian.

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: June 02, 2021, 10:28:06 AM »
Two adult attendees at a Chumash party tested positive shortly afterward in the past few days. People still need to be reminded to stay home if they are symptomatic.
Also need to be reminded to get vaccinated - too many people in Lakewood who are "sure I had covid" aren't getting vaccinated.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4075 on: June 02, 2021, 10:28:12 AM »
Several anti-vaxxers/q-anons in my community came down with COVID recently. Didn't stop one from coming to shul anyway  >:( ::)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: June 02, 2021, 10:30:00 AM »
Several anti-vaxxers/q-anons in my community came down with COVID recently. Didn't stop one from coming to shul anyway  >:( ::)

Answers the question from the other thread. We're not quite there yet.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #4077 on: June 02, 2021, 10:44:42 AM »
One item that COVID brought out is how gullible our community is that they are ready to take any shtusim fed to them and run without any thought about whether it has any basis at all in reality.
^ THIS  :-[
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #4078 on: June 02, 2021, 10:55:58 AM »
Don’t know why people keep spreading the myth that it’s illegal to ask about vaccination status. But besides that - kids that are under 12 can’t be vaccinated, and 12-15 could not have possibly finished the vaccination regimen yet. The earliest would be 5 weeks after May 10th.

Vaccines aside, it’s ridiculous to force children to wear masks for something that doesn’t really affect them.
regarding asking about vaccination status, for some reason i thought it is against our rights but I guess I just believed it blindly.

and regarding forcing kids to wear masks, why didnt they remove this requirement yet?
#TYH

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #4079 on: June 02, 2021, 11:01:32 AM »
regarding asking about vaccination status, for some reason i thought it is against our rights but I guess I just believed it blindly.

and regarding forcing kids to wear masks, why didnt they remove this requirement yet?
Who are you referring to as they?
Feelings don't care about your facts