Author Topic: Lakewood covid cases  (Read 529963 times)

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Lakewood cases
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2020, 05:34:07 PM »
Based on their track record, very likely.
These numbers are in line with what I've been hearing (Chemed, acquaintances etc.). There's definitely a spike happening right now in Lakewood.

I'm using OCHD to confirm the anecdotes. I know their numbers are notoriously unreliable. 

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
Re: Lakewood cases
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2020, 06:08:15 PM »
These numbers are in line with what I've been hearing (Chemed, acquaintances etc.). There's definitely a spike happening right now in Lakewood.

I'm using OCHD to confirm the anecdotes. I know their numbers are notoriously unreliable.
The source of these seem to be another wedding.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2020, 10:14:35 PM »
Hearing about a wedding that the kallah's family tested so a grandmother can come and the entire family including the kallah was positive so they cancelled and did backyard.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2020, 10:28:39 PM »
Hearing about a wedding that the kallah's family tested so a grandmother can come and the entire family including the kallah was positive so they cancelled and did backyard.
Wonder if it's this one from last night. Moved from cheder to LTC parking lot because of a positive.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEBCpKHFPjY/

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2020, 11:11:01 PM »
Weddings appear to be a particularly significant issue in the frum community. We haven’t really been seeing significant spread from shul reopenings, camps (for the most part), or school reopenings, or general relaxation of precautions to date. Wedding however are being repeatedly implicated in spread of covid. Perhaps this is because each wedding brings together the full spectrum of age groups and people from multiple social circles and regions in an indoor setting where there is a lot of physical contact and proximity to others.

The frum community really needs to address this in a proactive manner. Whether by means of testing the guests, especially those coming from high risk areas,  making the weddings smaller, or moving the most risky parts of the chasunah outdoors, it makes little sense to keep doing the status quo when it is obviously causing problems.

I don’t see any evidence of widespread community spread in the hard hit frum areas so I don’t agree with those who say we have to all wear masks and social distance in shul because you never know when there may be a second wave. But weddings are clearly an area where there is at least clear anecdotal evidence of covid spread, and some adjustment to the status quo is clearly appropriate.

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2020, 11:16:37 PM »
Weddings appear to be a particularly significant issue in the frum community. We haven’t really been seeing significant spread from shul reopenings, camps (for the most part), or school reopenings, or general relaxation of precautions to date. Wedding however are being repeatedly implicated in spread of covid. Perhaps this is because each wedding brings together the full spectrum of age groups and people from multiple social circles and regions in an indoor setting where there is a lot of physical contact and proximity to others.

The frum community really needs to address this in a proactive manner. Whether by means of testing the guests, especially those coming from high risk areas,  making the weddings smaller, or moving the most risky parts of the chasunah outdoors, it makes little sense to keep doing the status quo when it is obviously causing problems.

I don’t see any evidence of widespread community spread in the hard hit frum areas so I don’t agree with those who say we have to all wear masks and social distance in shul because you never know when there may be a second wave. But weddings are clearly an area where there is at least clear anecdotal evidence of covid spread, and some adjustment to the status quo is clearly appropriate.
Well said. One of the Lakewood doctors sent out an email this week with a similar sentiment.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2020, 11:18:40 PM »

Makes me think that my being in aveilus may be why I never caught it.

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2020, 11:31:29 PM »

Weddings cause a spread because theere are people coming in from out of towns communities and are giving it to people. Enough people had it that it won't really spread to far. But ya people should not invite guests coming from out of town communities that didn't really get hit like Baltimore. They all have it and just don't realize.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2020, 11:36:24 PM »
Weddings cause a spread because theere are people coming in from out of towns communities and are giving it to people. Enough people had it that it won't really spread to far. But ya people should not invite guests coming from out of town communities that didn't really get hit like Baltimore. They all have it and just don't realize.
Or three are people who can get it a second time as discussed by the doctors in Crown Heights

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2020, 11:36:37 PM »
Well said. One of the Lakewood doctors sent out an email this week with a similar sentiment.
Can u pls post

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2020, 11:39:17 PM »
Or three are people who can get it a second time as discussed by the doctors in Crown Heights
Most people do not get it twice.... could some people that is above my pay grade..

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2020, 11:39:27 PM »

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2020, 11:44:31 PM »

Most people did not get it twice.... Will people that is above my pay grade..
FTFY

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2020, 11:51:10 PM »
Weddings cause a spread because theere are people coming in from out of towns communities and are giving it to people. Enough people had it that it won't really spread to far. But ya people should not invite guests coming from out of town communities that didn't really get hit like Baltimore. They all Some have it and just don't realize.
FTFY

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2020, 09:06:57 AM »
I thought that they recently decided that it was most likely an anomaly.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2020, 09:15:43 AM »
I believe that is the working medical theory, we'll only know for sure in a few months.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2020, 10:14:58 AM »

Or there are people who can get it a second time as discussed by the doctors in Crown Heights
Same facts slightly different conclusions.
Rare but possible.
Thankfully milder cases than originally.

But it has implications.
Just because someone already had it and may even have antibodies, doesn't mean they can't get it and not realize it.  and pass it onto others.
Rare but possible.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2020, 10:37:25 AM »
Apparently the Old Shul is now requiring masks on the main level.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Online gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2020, 11:11:28 AM »
there were potential cases a month ago, which by a week ago seemed to be assumed an anomaly.
This week has a new outbreak, with more such cases and 'better documentation' that it is indeed reinfection, they're now questioning the assumption of it being an anomaly.
Essentially updating the guidance to be more wary even if previously infected

Offline how

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2020, 11:43:56 AM »
Personally I've been sick since Thursday 11 days ago (hasn't gotten better yet), I don't wish this upon anyone. I'm dealing with a bad cough, aches, weakness, chills (flu like)... No appetite.
how are you feeling?