Author Topic: Lakewood covid cases  (Read 530073 times)

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Lakewood cases
« Reply #440 on: September 02, 2020, 08:05:06 PM »
I think you are starting to see some movement. Some schools are staggering or canceling orientations. Asifas have been postponed. I think the cheder and Bais faiga are at least trying to implement segregating classes etc. so  there is at least some awareness of the need to exercise some reasonable caution.
The Cheder is having Lunch and Mincha in the classrooms, that means the 6th and most 7th graders aren't davening with a minyan.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 02, 2020, 09:35:26 PM »
The Cheder is having Lunch and Mincha in the classrooms, that means the 6th and most 7th graders aren't davening with a minyan.
Why cant they put 10 bar mitzvah age kids 6 feet apart in the hallway and open the classroom doors?
I'm not who you think I am.

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 02, 2020, 09:39:59 PM »
Why cant they put 10 bar mitzvah age kids 6 feet apart in the hallway and open the classroom doors?
I don't think anyone over bar mitzva is davening without a minyan, but the 11 and 12 y/o who don't have a minyan in their class are davening without a minyan.

Offline Jerseysteve

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 02, 2020, 09:43:29 PM »
Happy too see that a big Chasunah in Lakewood was done with the Chupah outside - definitely some movement.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #444 on: September 02, 2020, 09:44:14 PM »
Happy too see that a big Chasunah in Lakewood was done with the Chupah outside - definitely some movement.
Helps that that’s mehudar also ;)
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #445 on: September 02, 2020, 09:47:42 PM »

Lubavitchers reading your post are wondering if it's sarcasm  :)
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 03, 2020, 12:59:28 AM »
Lubavitchers reading your post are wondering if it's sarcasm  :)
Among the rest of all chassidim and all Talmidei Chasam Sofer. That a chupa should be held under the sky is brought down in Rema.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 03, 2020, 02:17:09 AM »
Exactly my point. Nobody cares about anybody else, everyone is just nervous about themselves. You want someone to wear a mask not because he might infect other people, but because he might infect you. And that's exactly what covid did. It turned humanity on each other. Nobody really cares covid spreading or anything, they just want to make sure it doesn't affect them.

Maybe I’m unique but I don’t think I’ve ever felt more concerned for others before COVID, and relatively speaking its as if I didn’t care at all about anyone else.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
["-"]

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #449 on: September 03, 2020, 06:00:54 AM »
Maybe I’m unique yuneeq but I don’t think I’ve ever felt more concerned for others before COVID, and relatively speaking its as if I didn’t care at all about anyone else.

FTFY
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Lakewood cases
« Reply #450 on: September 03, 2020, 08:06:54 AM »
Just a reminder about how silently covid spreads, I know someone who became symptomatic 10 days after being exposed to her friend. The entire family has been quarantining for the past 2 weeks, and the mother just became symptomatic 2 days ago (9 days after being exposed to her daughter who was contained to her room.)

Online yfr bachur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 03, 2020, 09:29:19 AM »
Exactly my point. Nobody cares about anybody else, everyone is just nervous about themselves. You want someone to wear a mask not because he might infect other people, but because he might infect you. And that's exactly what covid did. It turned humanity on each other. Nobody really cares covid spreading or anything, they just want to make sure it doesn't affect them.

Didn't mean you as you personally, you meant an individual. People don't care about a greater good or society, only about themselves. People are scared of the high number of covid cases because impact their lives. They aren't concerned about others lives.

Kol HaPosel BeMumo Posel.

Offline yzj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 03, 2020, 10:15:03 AM »
Here’s a question for all of those out there saying that there is community spread. Let’s say for example you have an area that has herd immunity. Multiple weddings each week expose those who are still susceptible (remember, herd immunity doesn’t mean everyone is immune) to outsiders, resulting in lets say, 60 new cases. Let’s say herd immunity means the R factor is now .8.

Those 50 cases will infect 40 new people on average in the community who will go on to infect 32 who will go on to infect approximately 26 etc. until that line of transmission dies out when it hits 5.

That means after a few such weeks the numbers will increase (remember it takes time for each generation to affect the next) we will see a couple hundred “community acquired” cases each week. If the wedding numbers go up, we will have a proportionately larger number of cases. Is that evidence of community spread and a massive coming wave, or of herd immunity? Hint- read up on herd immunity.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #453 on: September 03, 2020, 10:32:09 AM »
Here’s a question for all of those out there saying that there is community spread. Let’s say for example you have an area that has herd immunity. Multiple weddings each week expose those who are still susceptible (remember, herd immunity doesn’t mean everyone is immune) to outsiders, resulting in lets say, 60 new cases. Let’s say herd immunity means the R factor is now .8.

Those 50 cases will infect 40 new people on average in the community who will go on to infect 32 who will go on to infect approximately 26 etc. until that line of transmission dies out when it hits 5.

That means after a few such weeks the numbers will increase (remember it takes time for each generation to affect the next) we will see a couple hundred “community acquired” cases each week. If the wedding numbers go up, we will have a proportionately larger number of cases. Is that evidence of community spread and a massive coming wave, or of herd immunity? Hint- read up on herd immunity.
But how would we know now if this is what will happen?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yzj

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 03, 2020, 10:43:01 AM »
But how would we know now if this is what will happen?
That’s the definition of herd immunity. That’s why tracing the source is so important. Even if it’s a few hundred cases ch”v it makes a major difference. If it’s herd immunity you put all your resources into eliminating the source (outside weddings and events) and within a few transmission cycles you eliminate the problem. If it’s true community spread you have to work on SD, masks, etc. if you want to bring the R number below 1 and eliminate the spread. (Or you can let it run it’s course and hope to get the number below one without too much mortality -achieve true herd immunity-, a somewhat risky proposition if we truly did not reach that point the first time around.)

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #455 on: September 03, 2020, 10:46:51 AM »
That’s the definition of herd immunity. That’s why tracing the source is so important. Even if it’s a few hundred cases ch”v it makes a major difference. If it’s herd immunity you put all your resources into eliminating the source (outside weddings and events) and within a few transmission cycles you eliminate the problem. If it’s true community spread you have to work on SD, masks, etc. if you want to bring the R number below 1 and eliminate the spread. (Or you can let it run it’s course and hope to get the number below one without too much mortality -achieve true herd immunity-, a somewhat risky proposition if we truly did not reach that point the first time around.)
Iget that, but the scenario you describe is in the future. How do we know whether that is the scenario that will happen or if it will be regular community spread until we reach true herd immunity?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 03, 2020, 11:42:50 AM »
How do we know herd immunity exists ? Outside of vaccinations, if reinfection is a possibility, you're just making wild assumptions.

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 03, 2020, 11:52:20 AM »
How do we know herd immunity exists ? Outside of vaccinations, if reinfection is a possibility, you're just making wild assumptions.
IINM immunity from vaccination is always more likely to wane than immunity from the virus itself.

Offline yzj

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 03, 2020, 12:30:21 PM »
No one is claiming that mass reinfection has been seen; at best only a small minority have experienced reinfection. That would not preclude herd immunity. You would need a level of reinfection high enough to increase the r factor above one and that does not appear to be likely.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 03, 2020, 03:02:35 PM »
16 new cases via OCHD.