Author Topic: Lakewood covid cases  (Read 523069 times)

Offline ttn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Lakewood cases
« Reply #480 on: September 03, 2020, 09:42:13 PM »
"There's no point. Isolate for 10 days either way."

Is the terminology I heard.
I would like to know someone who went in complete isolation now without getting tested.

Offline Baruch

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 03, 2020, 09:49:53 PM »
If this was the less severe I'm happy I got it this time around. I am under 30 and it was the longest 48 hours I can remember.
I don't want to scare you, but from my personal experience, and many others, this virus many times gets better for a day or 2, and then gets worse...

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 03, 2020, 09:51:03 PM »
I would like to know someone who went in complete isolation now without getting tested.
My Brother in law did last week. He didn't test because he has a high fever and lost his smell, doc said "what's the point?"

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 03, 2020, 09:56:02 PM »
My Brother in law did last week. He didn't test because he has a high fever and lost his smell, doc said "what's the point?"
The point is that people should hopefully be aware and start masking up. As it is, I'm hearing of people I know getting Covid-19 left and right now.

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 03, 2020, 10:00:32 PM »
The point is that people should hopefully be aware and start masking up. As it is, I'm hearing of people I know getting Covid-19 left and right now.
What city?

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #485 on: September 03, 2020, 10:02:33 PM »
Thanks. I'm not sure I did go to a few stores Sunday in Lakewood (I only got symptoms Tuesday). I could have also got it at work as well.
Aka community spread
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 03, 2020, 10:20:51 PM »
There are plenty of purely selfish reasons why someone would want to test, as @ExGingi can vouch

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 03, 2020, 10:27:26 PM »
What city?
Sorry. Lakewood. Coworkers (other side of the building), a cousin, a neighbor's mother, etc. All in the last week. Besides people who I know of.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 03, 2020, 11:02:26 PM »

(As if people will listen to the second part.)
The point is to have solid numbers so you can communicate facts to the public. If there is concern of undue government interference they should at least keep a private tally of cases that have unambiguous symptoms.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #489 on: September 03, 2020, 11:24:03 PM »
My uncle tested positive for COVID today. Fever, chills, muscle aches. He was not exposed to anyone that he knows of, and is in aveilus so hasn’t been to any simchos.

A Rosh Yeshiva in NJ out of Lakewood (mostly Lakewood bachurim and Yungeleit) tested positive yesterday. He tested negative on a rapid on Sunday but the PCR results came in positive yesterday. This after being exposed to his daughter who was positive, and the rest of the family soon followed. All symptomatic. The worst part- he attended yeshiva and gave shiur until today after the negative rapid, while feeling sick. Officially they are keeping all bachurim in the yeshiva dorm until further notice and gave some warning to the Yungeleit.. who mostly shrugged it off.

2 doctors warned my chavrusa that there is a serious outbreak brewing.

Rabbi Forscheimer told an uncle of mine not to attend any simchos. This uncle is *not* particularly high risk but has not had the virus.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #490 on: September 03, 2020, 11:36:49 PM »

(As if people will listen to the second part.)
I heard from a Rav and a doctor in the last 2 days that if one is exposed or symptomatic they must quarantine for 2 weeks no exceptions, but there’s no reason to test (as an early negative can let people believe they don’t have it while it could still be incubating, and higher numbers will lead to a shutdown).

I heard but have not confirmed that 2 additional classes were sent home from a school that had previously sent home a class for 2 weeks due to a student testing positive.

BMG has put up signs in Hebrew warning people to stay home if they have symptoms.
What is the doctors rationale? Less severe strain? Younger average age? Herd immunity?
This is a very dangerous inference- you automatically assumed the doctors don’t think it’s as bad. More likely they want them to isolate anyway and not use a test as a heter.. not as a tzad lehakel.

Something should be pointed out- there is currently zero evidence of there being a weaker strain. I have yet to hear from a single reputable source even so much as a hint to this. Please do inform us if you’ve heard this from someone reliable. There is as much reason to believe it’s stronger as there is that it’s weaker- that is, zero.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #491 on: September 03, 2020, 11:39:06 PM »
Thanks. I'm not sure I did go to a few stores Sunday in Lakewood (I only got symptoms Tuesday). I could have also got it at work as well.
@Yard sale I believe this is what you call community spread?

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 03, 2020, 11:40:44 PM »
I heard from a Rav and a doctor in the last 2 days that if one is exposed or symptomatic they must quarantine for 2 weeks no exceptions, but there’s no reason to test (as an early negative can let people believe they don’t have it while it could still be incubating, and higher numbers will lead to a shutdown).

The person I heard this from was using this opinion as a rationale to "hide" from the government. Something that we've learned over this pandemic is that people will only hear what they want to hear. 

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #493 on: September 03, 2020, 11:45:19 PM »
IINM immunity from vaccination is always more likely to wane than immunity from the virus itself.
Not necessarily, and when so, that’s by design
https://www.chop.edu/centers-programs/vaccine-education-center/vaccine-safety/immune-system-and-health

Offline Yard sale

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 03, 2020, 11:45:55 PM »
@Yard sale I believe this is what you call community spread?
It would seem so. As someone pointed out earlier you can have community spread that successively diminishes in number with herd immunity but from the info we are seeing it has definitely reached a point I would not have expected to see in Lakewood so it is concerning.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #495 on: September 03, 2020, 11:49:35 PM »
It would seem so. As someone pointed out earlier you can have community spread that successively diminishes in number with herd immunity but from the info we are seeing it has definitely reached a point I would not have expected to see in Lakewood so it is concerning.
I’m glad you’re saying that because if you’re representative of the majority view in Lakewood then I hope this means that people are now going to start being more careful and most importantly start protecting the high risk better.

In all seriousness, kudos for being willing to see past your priors.

Offline Yard sale

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 03, 2020, 11:53:18 PM »
I’m glad you’re saying that because if you’re representative of the majority view in Lakewood then I hope this means that people are now going to start being more careful and most importantly start protecting the high risk better.

In all seriousness, kudos for being willing to see past your priors.
I’ll say it like I see it. If you asked me two months ago if I expected to see this the answer is no.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #497 on: September 03, 2020, 11:59:18 PM »
I’ll say it like I see it. If you asked me two months ago if I expected to see this the answer is no.
Yes, but many would not (and likely will not) until/unless it blows up in their face

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #498 on: September 04, 2020, 09:55:56 AM »
My sister in law had a coworker test positive. Two guys from BMG tested positive.

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 04, 2020, 10:01:15 AM »
this was the protocol being pushed by the medical establishment for the first couple of months. Now, in MA, they keep bragging about how easy it is to get tested.... My wife went to get tested at two walk in centers. At 1pm and at 11am at another, "sorry, we're not testing anymore today".
Called to schedule an appointment with our PCP, the receptionist asked a bunch of questions and then said just quarantine for 2 weeks...