Author Topic: Lakewood covid cases  (Read 522712 times)

Offline David61

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lakewood covid cases
« Reply #1120 on: September 17, 2020, 12:13:43 AM »
Debating the medical risks and potential loss of life the virus can cause does not seem to be the most effective way to persuade people to use masks and social distance.

Perhaps a more effective way to encourage that, is to highlight the risk of a DOH imposed community-wide quarantine if statistics rise substantially (like in white plains), and the impact on learning/tefila-b'tzibur/yom-tov/economic-impact/mental well being etc.

In any event, to judge the folks (taking this lightly) favorably:
(1) there is enough misinformation and changes to scientific opinion (and continued medical and statistical uncertainty, including whether the strain has gotten more mild) to confuse even well meaning folks and even a minority of experts.
(2) There is a view that society has borne enough inconvenience to protect the vulnerable, and at this point the vulnerable need to be the ones exercising extra care and let the young and healthy members of society return to normalcy so that the economy/schools/life resumes. (This includes the view that think herd immunity, is already far along, and the best way through this).
(3) The way this has become a political (republican vs. democrat) issue has those identifying with republican party, forced to choose between the views of their allies (who they trust) or the opposition (who they vigorously distrust as conspiring liars). The viciousness of partisan politics and the high-level-of-distrust undermines the arguments/evidence supporting the opposition on any individual issue.
(4) Mask discomfort, the inconveniences of SD, the emotional/psychological distress of being in quarantine earlier this year, the harsh economic impact on many, and the weakening of religious practice to those who feel passionate about that (as we all should), sway the risk/benefits toward the return-to-normalcy route.
(5) There are large swaths of people in our community who have anti-bodies have no concerns about their personal health (or spreading it to others -though I'm not sure there is 100% agreement on this).

I'm optimistic the unified and influential communications and guidance from the Moetzes will enhance unity and more consistent practice on such issues.

Offline Crazy tools

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #1121 on: September 17, 2020, 12:26:54 AM »
This shul seems to be proactive!
Do results from such drives get reported to the OCHD?

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: September 17, 2020, 12:40:25 AM »
Debating the medical risks and potential loss of life the virus can cause does not seem to be the most effective way to persuade people to use masks and social distance.

Perhaps a more effective way to encourage that, is to highlight the risk of a DOH imposed community-wide quarantine if statistics rise substantially (like in white plains), and the impact on learning/tefila-b'tzibur/yom-tov/economic-impact/mental well being etc.

In any event, to judge the folks (taking this lightly) favorably:
(1) there is enough misinformation and changes to scientific opinion (and continued medical and statistical uncertainty, including whether the strain has gotten more mild) to confuse even well meaning folks and even a minority of experts.
(2) There is a view that society has borne enough inconvenience to protect the vulnerable, and at this point the vulnerable need to be the ones exercising extra care and let the young and healthy members of society return to normalcy so that the economy/schools/life resumes. (This includes the view that think herd immunity, is already far along, and the best way through this).
(3) The way this has become a political (republican vs. democrat) issue has those identifying with republican party, forced to choose between the views of their allies (who they trust) or the opposition (who they vigorously distrust as conspiring liars). The viciousness of partisan politics and the high-level-of-distrust undermines the arguments/evidence supporting the opposition on any individual issue.
(4) Mask discomfort, the inconveniences of SD, the emotional/psychological distress of being in quarantine earlier this year, the harsh economic impact on many, and the weakening of religious practice to those who feel passionate about that (as we all should), sway the risk/benefits toward the return-to-normalcy route.
(5) There are large swaths of people in our community who have anti-bodies have no concerns about their personal health (or spreading it to others -though I'm not sure there is 100% agreement on this).

I'm optimistic the unified and influential communications and guidance from the Moetzes will enhance unity and more consistent practice on such issues.

That does work including the fact that somebody would have to go into quarantine if they were in contact with somebody who tested positive...

The problem is contract tracing is not going to work because people are not honest.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: September 17, 2020, 07:44:27 AM »
Thank you @David61. That post was just what I needed before RH to be able to dan people lkaf zchus. I will not attempt to refute any of the points in there for that reason.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 07:54:21 AM by yelped »

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: September 17, 2020, 08:45:10 AM »
Thank you @David61. That post was just what I needed before RH to be able to dan people lkaf zchus. I will not attempt to refute any of the points in there for that reason.
I only wish I shared his optimism.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: September 17, 2020, 09:55:45 AM »
Little me just tested positive.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: September 17, 2020, 09:59:33 AM »
RS. What lead you to test? Symptomatic? Upcoming YT?

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Lakewood covid cases
« Reply #1127 on: September 17, 2020, 10:00:24 AM »
Refuah shleima! Iyh it will be as mild as the majority of cases now and you won't spread it to anyone. I'm sorry that you'll be Davening at home :(

Any ideas where you caught it from?

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: September 17, 2020, 10:10:44 AM »
More than staying home for 2 weeks? Whoever is testing just to find out if they're negative and not have to stay home for 2 weeks would do it regardless of RH.
People who are testing out of an abundance of caution would not otherwise be quarantining for 2 weeks.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: September 17, 2020, 10:15:26 AM »
Refuah shleima! Iyh it will be as mild as the majority of cases now and you won't spread it to anyone. I'm sorry that you'll be Davening at home :(

Any ideas where you caught it from?
RS. What lead you to test? Symptomatic? Upcoming YT?
Thanks. I was sick. I just had strep 2 weeks ago, but was feeling lousy. Took 2 days to get results back. I BH did not have any fever, no real coughing either. I just felt very lousy, like a very strong virus. I did have a messed up stomach. First day was shivering away, along with general weakness. Second day was much better in terms of shivering, but still pretty weak. Today, I feel much better, only slightly weak. But yes, the shul where I was going to daven will have to look for another Baal Teffila. And my family will have to stay home and quarantine with me.

Not sure where I caught it from. I did not attend any weddings. I do go to all stores wearing a mask. I do attend shul and go to the office without a mask.

Online dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: September 17, 2020, 10:20:55 AM »
Thanks. I was sick. I just had strep 2 weeks ago, but was feeling lousy. Took 2 days to get results back. I BH did not have any fever, no real coughing either. I just felt very lousy, like a very strong virus. I did have a messed up stomach. First day was shivering away, along with general weakness. Second day was much better in terms of shivering, but still pretty weak. Today, I feel much better, only slightly weak. But yes, the shul where I was going to daven will have to look for another Baal Teffila. And my family will have to stay home and quarantine with me.

Not sure where I caught it from. I did not attend any weddings. I do go to all stores wearing a mask. I do attend shul and go to the office without a mask.

If you need shofer please PM. If you are not too far I would be happy to blow.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1131 on: September 17, 2020, 10:24:19 AM »

Lakewood's gonna have as many people going out to blow shofar for people at home this year as CH usually does.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: September 17, 2020, 10:29:21 AM »
Thanks! I have a shul a few houses down, so I don't think it will be an issue asking a neighbor to blow some Tekios on my driveway.

Online KSMH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: September 17, 2020, 10:34:17 AM »

Masks ........
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: September 17, 2020, 10:36:21 AM »
Thanks! I have a shul a few houses down, so I don't think it will be an issue asking a neighbor to blow some Tekios on my driveway.
Can you hear the shofar being blown in shul from your house?
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: September 17, 2020, 10:38:54 AM »
Can you hear the shofar being blown in shul from your house?
No

Masks ........
Your point? I most likely caught it from someone in shul. I was careful not to go to any minyanim center to reduce the risk, but it still is a risk.

Online KSMH

• View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: September 17, 2020, 10:42:41 AM »
NoYour point? I most likely caught it from someone in shul. I was careful not to go to any minyanim center to reduce the risk, but it still is a risk.
Due to the way most use masks, its mostly a comforting tool, many times it can heighten the risk of getting the virus.

This is based on commen sense thinking and observations.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: September 17, 2020, 10:43:35 AM »
Due to the way most use masks, its mostly a comforting tool, many times it can heighten the risk of getting the virus.

This is based on commen sense thinking and observations.
  ::)

Wrong thread.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: September 17, 2020, 10:45:07 AM »
NoYour point? I most likely caught it from someone in shul. I was careful not to go to any minyanim center to reduce the risk, but it still is a risk.
Kids in school? I would look there first.

Online KSMH

• View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: September 17, 2020, 10:46:11 AM »
  ::)

Wrong thread.
Well, u highlighted the fact of mask wearing in relation to you getting covid, so I gave you my 2 cents.

Anyway, home ur better soon!