Author Topic: Lakewood covid cases  (Read 522662 times)

Offline SayWhat

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lakewood covid cases
« Reply #1880 on: September 30, 2020, 11:05:23 PM »
https://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/2020/09/audio-message-from-lakewood-igud-harabanim-for-covid-matters.html

It's almost as if they like playing from behind.

"Always wear a mask in public places like stores & crowded streets"

I see they are avoiding, G-d forbid, to suggest wearing a mask in Shul. I guess this is similar to Brooklyn - Just wear a mask in public to avoid creating a bigger chilul hashem than has already been created - But in the privacy of shuls feel free to not wear a mask. 

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: September 30, 2020, 11:07:39 PM »
Obviously every case is different but at this point in Lakewood there's a big argument to be made against testing in general. Have Jews  ever been so condemned in the USA?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline hllulbh1

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: September 30, 2020, 11:09:15 PM »
To bring down the positivity rate

I hear why that may help their case, but...the message was apparently stating that they want to comply with the government’s will. If all they are doing is playing the system, why present it as following the will of the government? And why say it on the record (for Goodness sakes!)? They must have a different goal?

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1883 on: September 30, 2020, 11:12:07 PM »
I hear why that may help their case, but...the message was apparently stating that they want to comply with the government’s will. If all they are doing is playing the system, why present it as following the will of the government? And why say it on the record (for Goodness sakes!)? They must have a different goal?
They hinted it, while maintaining the appearance of trying to work with the government. For now, they want to keep up the facade that they are working together with the Murphy administration.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: September 30, 2020, 11:16:37 PM »
This is a disgrace.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: October 01, 2020, 12:18:28 AM »
This is a disgrace.
It's so childish.
These are Rabbonim who listened to what the askanim and doctors had to say and decided on a course of action. Rav Uri Deutch and Rav Chaim Meir Roth are well know and respected individuals. How about calling them on the phone to discuss instead of calling them names on a public forum.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Lakewood covid cases
« Reply #1886 on: October 01, 2020, 12:30:18 AM »
These are Rabbonim who listened to what the askanim and doctors had to say and decided on a course of action. Rav Uri Deutch and Rav Chaim Meir Roth are well know and respected individuals. How about calling them on the phone to discuss instead of calling them names on a public forum.
Has any bit of the Igud's course of action been successful?

Perhaps I should talk to them; however the frustration of countless missteps on their part has reached a point where I don't feel like I trust them to represent me.

(Thinking that it's time for me to move on from this town.)

Offline Yard sale

• View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: October 01, 2020, 12:41:14 AM »
Has any bit of the Igud's course of action been successful?

Perhaps I should talk to them; however the frustration of countless missteps on their part has reached a point where I don't feel like I trust them to represent me.

It’s not what I would chose to do, but indications are that these Rabbonim are having real discussions and taking medical and political considerations into account, and are making decisions based on their fact finding. They deserve more than to be called childish. I certainly identify more easily with the positions taken on DDF but should DDF be deciding policy for the town?

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: October 01, 2020, 12:42:42 AM »

You don't need to trust them to represent you, you don't need to have them represent you at all. You don't even need to agree with them. You still shouldn't call them childish.

Why do you think the next place is going to be better. (if their covid policies might be more to your liking something else will irk you)

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: October 01, 2020, 12:45:22 AM »
It’s not what I would chose to do, but indications are that these Rabbonim are having real discussions and taking medical and political considerations into account, and are making decisions based on their fact finding. They deserve more than to be called childish. I certainly identify more easily with the positions taken on DDF but should DDF be deciding policy for the town?
Mussar taken. You're right. Wrong terminology on my part. (I didn't mean they were childish; rather that this plan seems childish.)

But you're right - it was wrong; I definitely did (do?) have major respect for R CM Roth (don't know R Deutsch) - I should give them more benefit of doubt. He's been logical and level headed throughout the time I've known him.

(I'm still very frustrated though. ;) )

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: October 01, 2020, 12:46:54 AM »
You don't need to trust them to represent you, you don't need to have them represent you at all. You don't even need to agree with them. You still shouldn't call them childish.

Why do you think the next place is going to be better. (if their covid policies might be more to your liking something else will irk you)
You're right. As I mentioned above, I was speaking emotionally. See my post above this - I was wrong.

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #1891 on: October 01, 2020, 12:58:26 AM »
By the way, I'm wondering where the eleventh of the aseres hadibros "לא תעשו לך איבה" disappeared.

In the first round, Lakewood was very busy with it.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: October 01, 2020, 01:37:11 AM »
By the way, I'm wondering where the eleventh of the aseres hadibros "לא תעשו לך איבה" disappeared.

Disappeared down the same rabbit hole as Pikuach nefesh (and it's offspring safek pikuach nefesh), hishtadlus, veahavta lere'acha, etc. Seems like lots of Torah was forgotten when we were locked out of the BM.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: October 01, 2020, 01:56:13 AM »
They hinted it, while maintaining the appearance of trying to work with the government. For now, they want to keep up the facade that they are working together with the Murphy administration.

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/09/lakewoods-covid-19-positivity-rate-hits-27-as-cases-surge-well-above-statewide-average-of-3.html

From the article "Callahan said local police in Lakewood had seen multiple images of worshipers not wearing masks indoors."
Take a look at any the local publications, whatsapp statuses, you'll see many images of Lakewood residents indoors without masks or social distancing, including many community leaders. This is the worst kept secret, the government knows exactly what's going on, and is biting it's tongue not to respond too harshly (I'm not sure why they're showing such great discipline, I suspect backdoor politics play a part.)

Meanwhile Lakewood's response is to double down on an already exposed bluff and continue everything as usual. I can't fathom how the gov will take this lightly.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1894 on: October 01, 2020, 02:03:40 AM »
Al eileh ani boichiya
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Yard sale

• View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: October 01, 2020, 05:00:46 AM »

The people that were very busy with it the first time around did not have a great reception last time and feel that they don’t have the will to go through it again this time.

Offline Yard sale

• View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: October 01, 2020, 05:03:50 AM »
From the article "Callahan said local police in Lakewood had seen multiple images of worshipers not wearing masks indoors."
Take a look at any the local publications, whatsapp statuses, you'll see many images of Lakewood residents indoors without masks or social distancing, including many community leaders. This is the worst kept secret, the government knows exactly what's going on, and is biting it's tongue not to respond too harshly (I'm not sure why they're showing such great discipline, I suspect backdoor politics play a part.)

There were those advocating for an immediate all out response but the Governor did not choose yo go that route.

Offline Proisrael

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #1897 on: October 01, 2020, 08:09:18 AM »

Meanwhile Lakewood's response is to double down on an already exposed bluff and continue everything as usual. I can't fathom how the gov will take this lightly.

These whatsapp statuses are mind blowing. LNN and The Lakewood Scoop post dozens of pictures weekly of no masks and no social distancing at all. Something has to give soon.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1898 on: October 01, 2020, 08:34:37 AM »
Disappeared down the same rabbit hole as Pikuach nefesh (and it's offspring safek pikuach nefesh), hishtadlus, veahavta lere'acha, etc. Seems like lots of Torah was forgotten when we were locked out of the BM.

Don't underestimate the anti-vaxxer influence and how that will affect any public statement. Until someone figures out a way to deal with that things will not proactively change. When you combine that with the overreach from the first wave it makes people more receptive to lenient guidance until cv it is already disastrous and way too late.

I have said this before, but have a feeling that many are not understanding the depth of it.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1899 on: October 01, 2020, 08:38:06 AM »
... it makes people more receptive to lenient guidance even though r'l it is already disastrous and way too late.

FTFY
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.