Author Topic: Lakewood covid cases  (Read 530571 times)

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Lakewood covid cases
« Reply #1900 on: October 01, 2020, 08:38:58 AM »
Don't underestimate the anti-vaxxer influence and how that will affect any public statement. Until someone figures out a way to deal with that things will not proactively change. When you combine that with the overreach from the first wave it makes people more receptive to lenient guidance until cv it is already disastrous and way too late.

I have said this before, but have a feeling that many are not understanding the depth of it.
I've begged doctors in Lakewood to recognize the long term battle they face now from the growing anti vaxxer sentiment in town. It's going to be really rough going forward.

It's a huge, huge, huge issue that the one of the bigger (if not the biggest) voices in the room is an anti vaxxer.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Lakewood covid cases
« Reply #1901 on: October 01, 2020, 08:41:29 AM »
They hinted it, while maintaining the appearance of trying to work with the government. For now, they want to keep up the facade that they are working together with the Murphy administration.
Do you think that he was lying when he said that this was requested by the government.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: October 01, 2020, 08:58:45 AM »
I've begged doctors in Lakewood to recognize the long term battle they face now from the growing anti vaxxer sentiment in town. It's going to be really rough going forward.

It's a huge, huge, huge issue that the one of the bigger (if not the biggest) voices in the room is an anti vaxxer.
What's the connection between anti vax and covid?
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: October 01, 2020, 08:59:54 AM »
What's the connection between anti vax and covid?
Mistrust in science and medicine.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: October 01, 2020, 09:03:51 AM »
Do you think that he was lying when he said that this was requested by the government.

The government definitely wants more testing in Lakewood, and they also want to see the positive rate go down. So technically, not a lie.
Visibly Jewish

Offline iwlw2

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: October 01, 2020, 09:06:42 AM »
No doubt :(
Yes to my endless frustration, just in the past few days in a futile effort to convince individuals as well as my shul to at least encourage mask wearing, I've been hearing things like "it's basically just a bad flu" (people are mind-boggingly still saying this!??!). "well right now it's a weaker strain, people arent dying from it", when I countered with the fact that in March also people were not dying initially and look at whats happening in EY, "it's not the same as then because now we're already six weeks in to this wave which "definitely" started R"C Elul so....". How about the fact that just yesterday two people in Lakewood did die, "Oh no, they died from blood clots, in EY they are dying from COVID". When I pointed to the fact that we obviously don't know how this virus operates as no one can fully explain why it waned for a few months and is now back with a vengeance, "Oh everyone knows that's because viruses can't survive in heat" notwithstanding that EY was breaking heat records for days just as the virus was also heating up there..... I wish there were a "tearing my hair out" emoji...
To make matters worse, there are apparently a few doctors from Lakewood and elsewhere, who are promulgating as absolute fact that anyone who does not currently have symptoms (even if they had some and they went away) is not at all contagious, which directly led to at least two people (that I know of directly) in my neighborhood to come to shul (without a mask naturally) only a couple days after testing positive because they were not experiencing symptoms....
Hashem Yishmor Aleinu......

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: October 01, 2020, 09:08:22 AM »
The government definitely wants more testing in Lakewood, and they also want to see the positive rate go down. So technically, not a lie.

I think that it actually makes sense as a strategy. If those with symptoms start home and those without get tested and are only out and about with a negative test while they remain symptom free that should significantly slow if not decimate spread. This can solve much of the issue while skirting this.

Don't underestimate the anti-vaxxer influence and how that will affect any public statement. Until someone figures out a way to deal with that things will not proactively change. When you combine that with the overreach from the first wave it makes people more receptive to lenient guidance until cv it is already disastrous and way too late.

I have said this before, but have a feeling that many are not understanding the depth of it.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1907 on: October 01, 2020, 09:09:04 AM »

There are a few options:

1) the Governor asked them to increase testing, but only of all the asymptomatic people in the community.
2) the Governor asked them to increase testing of all people.
3) the Governor asked them to increase testing for all exposed and symptomatic people.
4) the Governor didn't ask for increased testing, but provided the mobile units because he was told the community needed additional testing capabilities.

Out of all the options, #1 seems the least likely, yet that's what the VN says happened. Did Murphy morph into DeSantis overnight? Possibly... Or maybe there was an accidental miscommunication somewhere, a little broken telephone? Also possible.

What do you think happened?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline iwlw2

• View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: October 01, 2020, 09:17:30 AM »
These are Rabbonim who listened to what the askanim and doctors had to say and decided on a course of action. Rav Uri Deutch and Rav Chaim Meir Roth are well know and respected individuals.
And just to add to that, Rav Uri Deutsch personally has and is modeling responsible leadership, such as on RH and YK wearing a mask the entire time, despite personally having antibodies, specifically as a way to encourage people to wear masks (I also heard of several other Rabbonim such as Rav Yosef Zimbal and Rav Moshe Chaim Kahan, who did the same). Halevai all Rabbonim were doing this.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: October 01, 2020, 09:25:06 AM »

This. There are still those that think a huge Lakewood simchas beis hashoeiva like all the other years is a perfectly  good idea.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: October 01, 2020, 09:40:32 AM »
This. There are still those that think a huge Lakewood simchas beis hashoeiva like all the other years is a perfectly  good idea.

Which is why this

These are Rabbonim who listened to what the askanim and doctors had to say and decided on a course of action. Rav Uri Deutch and Rav Chaim Meir Roth are well know and respected individuals. How about calling them on the phone to discuss instead of calling them names on a public forum.
Is important in all aspects since their public statements may need to be toned down due to this influence.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: October 01, 2020, 09:41:10 AM »
And just to add to that, Rav Uri Deutsch personally has and is modeling responsible leadership, such as on RH and YK wearing a mask the entire time, despite personally having antibodies, specifically as a way to encourage people to wear masks (I also heard of several other Rabbonim such as Rav Yosef Zimbal and Rav Moshe Chaim Kahan, who did the same). Halevai all Rabbonim were doing this.
Rav Halpern of West Gate Sfard too. I think even more than just mask.

Offline Eb228

• View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: October 01, 2020, 09:48:13 AM »
R MC Kahan I believe actually requires masks for those w/o antibodies in his shul - enforced

Offline Yard sale

• View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: October 01, 2020, 09:52:18 AM »
R MC Kahan I believe actually requires masks for those w/o antibodies in his shul - enforced

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: October 01, 2020, 09:53:00 AM »
Which urgent cares are using Quest?

Friendly’s uses Quest, I believe Chai care as well. I did a quest antibody test at my dr yesterday 10am and got myquest email 7am. (Negative again). Waiting to see how long until my dr calls with results.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Eb228

• View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: October 01, 2020, 09:57:39 AM »
Friendly’s uses Quest, I believe Chai care as well. I did a quest antibody test at my dr yesterday 10am and got myquest email 7am. (Negative again). Waiting to see how long until my dr calls with results.
How do you sign up for a quest account and link the test taken at Friendly (asking for relative that tested there this morning and wants results b4 y"t)

Offline joeberg

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: October 01, 2020, 10:05:58 AM »
Thank you.

Offline Yard sale

• View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: October 01, 2020, 10:40:48 AM »
I guess we are going to find out fairly soon if Lakewood mostly has herd immunity or not. The reality is that people will not be social distancing over the next few days. We can certainly anticipate some infections. It is unreasonable to assume that everyone in Lakewood is immune or has had it. If there are new positive individuals circulating in Lakewood especially in settings with large crowds it is reasonable to assume that there will be some cases.

The real question is if it is possible to have a large outbreak in Lakewwod even remotely similar to April, and I still believe that that it is not . It’s certainly worth keeping a very close eye on the situation now that we do see individuals bringing it back from other states, and it is prudent for those who are immunocompromised to take some precautions, but there are no indications that a large outbreak is in the works. Let’s keep a close eye on the numbers and see what evolves.
Just looked back at a post of mine a few months ago.Talk about being wrong. We have now had over 50 hospitalizations since this wave began and thousands if not tens of thousands of infected. B”h many of the hospitalized have been released and we don’t have Hatzalah running out of ambulances as in March but those of us who ruled out another outbreak really missed the boat.

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: October 01, 2020, 11:02:45 AM »
Just looked back at a post of mine a few months ago.Talk about being wrong. We have now had over 50 hospitalizations since this wave began and thousands if not tens of thousands of infected. B”h many of the hospitalized have been released and we don’t have Hatzalah running out of ambulances as in March but those of us who ruled out another outbreak really missed the boat.
You may have been partially correct, it's possible that now many people have lost their immunity.

Offline elazarmn

• View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: October 01, 2020, 11:11:10 AM »
You may have been partially correct, it's possible that now many people have lost their immunity.
Still haven’t heard of someone that had it in march and got it (actually sick with symptoms)
Again now.
The reason i say specifically with symptoms is since the tests are so sensitive that its been tried and tested  for false positives.