Author Topic: Lakewood covid cases  (Read 522725 times)

Offline joe1234

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
Re: Lakewood covid cases
« Reply #2360 on: October 18, 2020, 12:23:50 AM »
Yes, no chiddush here.
I thought so too... thanks for chiming in. If schools are doing these rapid tests why would someone let their fully healthy kid who arguably doesn’t even spread the virus, only to find out that their entire family’s life is turned upside down for the next 10-14 days??

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2361 on: October 18, 2020, 12:28:13 AM »
I thought so too... thanks for chiming in. If schools are doing these rapid tests why would someone let their fully healthy kid who arguably doesn’t even spread the virus, only to find out that their entire family’s life is turned upside down for the next 10-14 days??

It doesn't need to be. If your kid tests positive on a rapid, get a PCR immediately to confirm. You may be inconvenience for a couple of days, but that's much better than spreading the virus, with unknown consequences.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2362 on: October 18, 2020, 12:28:37 AM »
pretty weak argument imo... i dont think this rumor came out of the blue... if someone feels completely well and then finds out from a "possibly" non-reliable rapid test that hes positive, should his whole family quarantine now?? sounds crazy to me... definitely would make sense not to get tested in the first place...
afaik there were studies showing that children dont really infect others... simple google search shows that there are plenty of studies proving this... besided for the cdc who i dont trust faucci....
This “rumor” came completely out of the blue. There is zero backing.

Rapids are pretty accurate but not close to 100%. If one tests positive on a rapid they should take a PCR to confirm or disconfirm.

I personally know children who infected family members. There was an outbreak in my 9 year old brother’s class and several of his classmates caught it from one of them. There are no studies that show children don’t infect others, although children certainly seem to develop severe symptoms and infect adults at a much lower rate.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2363 on: October 18, 2020, 12:30:26 AM »
Think about the reverse argument for a minute, setting aside the facts that you *can* follow up with a PCR and that children *can* infect others.

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: October 18, 2020, 12:31:37 AM »
This “rumor” came completely out of the blue. There is zero backing.

Rapids are pretty accurate but not close to 100%. If one tests positive on a rapid they should take a PCR to confirm or disconfirm.

I personally know children who infected family members. There was an outbreak in my 9 year old brother’s class and several of his classmates caught it from one of them. There are no studies that show children don’t infect others, although children certainly seem to develop severe symptoms and infect adults at a much lower rate.
Google says inaccuracy can be up to 50%...

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2365 on: October 18, 2020, 12:33:39 AM »
Google says inaccuracy can be up to 50%...
On which rapids? It seems some rapid tests can be as accurate as 96% in detecting positives. Either way, certainly follow up with a positive. Rapids are to detect cases early if one suspects something.

50% would mean it’s completely worthless. 50% inaccurate on a detection test means 100% worthless.

ETA: https://www.kmbc.com/article/rapid-covid-19-tests-becoming-more-popular-because-of-their-accuracy/34133593#

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: October 18, 2020, 12:35:09 AM »
Think about the reverse argument for a minute, setting aside the facts that you *can* follow up with a PCR and that children *can* infect others.
Assuming that rapid tests are not accurate will schools update their results after a negative on the pcr? I don’t think it’s so simple... if so someone can argue that the tests can cause a shutdown of the schools for no good reason...

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: October 18, 2020, 12:36:18 AM »
On which rapids? It seems some rapid tests can be as accurate as 96% in detecting positives. Either way, certainly follow up with a positive. Rapids are to detect cases early if one suspects something.

50% would mean it’s completely worthless. 50% inaccurate on a detection test means 100% worthless.

ETA: https://www.kmbc.com/article/rapid-covid-19-tests-becoming-more-popular-because-of-their-accuracy/34133593#
Just googled- rapid covid test accuracy rate

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2368 on: October 18, 2020, 12:36:31 AM »
Assuming that rapid tests are not accurate will schools update their results after a negative on the pcr? I don’t think it’s so simple... if so someone can argue that the tests can cause a shutdown of the schools for no good reason...
You started off with an argument. Does that argument hold water after discussing the subject here?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2369 on: October 18, 2020, 12:37:19 AM »
Just googled- rapid covid test accuracy rate
See the article linked. I do not know how old the results of the article you saw are, but the link I posted is from the past month (tests obviously improve with time).

Also, it’s positive the article you saw says the rate of false negatives is high on rapids, which is still true. That is the exact reverse of the argument you were originally making (that there is a high rate of false positives).

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #2370 on: October 18, 2020, 12:39:01 AM »
See the article linked. I do not know how old the results of the article you saw are, but the link I posted is from the past month (tests obviously improve with time)
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/which-test-is-best-for-covid-19-2020081020734

Online PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: October 18, 2020, 12:40:00 AM »
Starting to think a DDMS encyclopedia of basic, universally accepted Covid facts may go a long way.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2372 on: October 18, 2020, 12:41:16 AM »
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/which-test-is-best-for-covid-19-2020081020734
Great article. This is what it says, should you still have any doubts:
PCR:
The false positive rate — that is, how often the test says you have the virus when you actually do not — should be close to zero. Most false-positive results are thought to be due to lab contamination or other problems with how the lab has performed the test, not limitations of the test itself.

Rapids:
The reported rate of false negative results is as high as 50%, which is why antigen tests are not favored by the FDA as a single test for active infection. However, the FDA recently provided emergency use authorization for a more accurate antigen test. Because antigen testing is quicker, less expensive, and requires less complex technology to perform than molecular testing, some experts recommend repeated antigen testing as a reasonable strategy. According to one test manufacturer, the false positive rate of antigen testing is near zero. So, the recent experience of Ohio Governor Mike DeWine, who apparently had a false-positive result from an antigen test, is rare.

As I suspected.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2373 on: October 18, 2020, 12:42:43 AM »
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2374 on: October 18, 2020, 12:43:49 AM »
Now tell me, @joe1234 . Do you still believe there is a very high rate of false positives?

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: October 18, 2020, 12:44:07 AM »
My mistake. You are definitely right on this one. Sounds like recently they’re more accurate.... but who’s to say that they don’t switch their mind on that too pretty soon? It still seems that children spreading the virus is not likely... and there is a possibility that due to false positives the school may get shutdown...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 12:47:58 AM by joe1234 »

Online Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: October 18, 2020, 12:44:50 AM »
Great article. This is what it says, should you still have any doubts:
PCR:
Rapids:

As I suspected.
I know of someone who had positive rapid/negative PCR last week. Think there was another mention on DDF too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2377 on: October 18, 2020, 12:47:43 AM »
My mistake. You are definitely right on this one. Sounds like recently they’re more accurate.... but who’s to say that they don’t switch their mind on that too pretty soon?
There are lab confirmed control tests at this stage of the game, and the technology is only getting better.

Thank you for acknowledging that. It’s not your mistake- why wouldn’t you believe it, when it’s parroted so often? Do you see how rumors can spread (with potentially very severe consequences!) with little to no evidence to back it up?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2378 on: October 18, 2020, 12:48:32 AM »
I know of someone who had positive rapid/negative PCR last week. Think there was another mention on DDF too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It certainly can happen, though they’re not quite so common. Regardless, PCR positives are nearly 100% accurate.

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: October 18, 2020, 12:51:25 AM »
There are lab confirmed control tests at this stage of the game, and the technology is only getting better.

Thank you for acknowledging that. It’s not your mistake- why wouldn’t you believe it, when it’s parroted so often? Do you see how rumors can spread (with potentially very severe consequences!) with little to no evidence to back it up?
Doesn’t seem like there are severe consequences with children... and their are definitely stories with false positive on rapids like @Euclid pointed out.