Author Topic: Lakewood covid cases  (Read 533021 times)

Offline dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lakewood covid cases
« Reply #2440 on: October 20, 2020, 07:51:54 AM »
I'm not sure about that...
Pretty irrelevant if you ask me. A Rav's view is not worthy of respect because of his title but rather because of the assumption of the Torah scholarship that lies behind said view.

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2441 on: October 20, 2020, 08:00:17 AM »
Pretty irrelevant if you ask me. A Rav's view is not worthy of respect because of his title but rather because of the assumption of the Torah scholarship that lies behind said view.

I'd be the last to defend his views, but if someone earns a title, my disagreeing with him shouldn't negate that.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline dasmo801

• View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: October 20, 2020, 08:58:55 AM »
I'd be the last to defend his views, but if someone earns a title, my disagreeing with him shouldn't negate that.
I get your point, however, as far as this discussion is concerned, he presents himself as "a Rabbi, a Lawyer and a student of infectious diseases" not merely as a means of identification but clearly as an attempt to give weight to his opinions on this matter. Since IMHO the allegation that the State of NJ is working together with the CDC to kidnap our children is not based on Torah scholarship, I would argue that he should NOT be referred to as "Rabbi" in this discussion. 

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: October 20, 2020, 09:04:33 AM »
I'm not sure about that...
CMIIW but I think chabad uses that term pretty freely. Either way this guy is "the litigation king," not a rabbi.
But isn't it worse if he's wrongly appealing to people's inherent respect for the rabbinate?
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2444 on: October 20, 2020, 09:04:39 AM »
I get your point, however, as far as this discussion is concerned, he presents himself as "a Rabbi, a Lawyer and a student of infectious diseases" not merely as a means of identification but clearly as an attempt to give weight to his opinions on this matter. Since IMHO the allegation that the State of NJ is working together with the CDC to kidnap our children is not based on Torah scholarship, I would argue that he should NOT be referred to as "Rabbi" in this discussion. 

I don't know who this is and didn't hear what he said, but as a general rule, when some says listen to my controversial opinion because I am daas torah he is most likely a fraud and charlatan. Even more so when he is going against public positions of mosdos.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: October 20, 2020, 09:07:13 AM »
Not to mention that he has been wrong about everything. He put out a video advising his clients not to obtain PPP loans because that too was a government trap.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2446 on: October 20, 2020, 09:16:20 AM »
I don't know who this is and didn't hear what he said, but as a general rule, when some says listen to my controversial opinion because I am daas torah he is most likely a fraud and charlatan. Even more so when he is going against public positions of mosdos.

He didn't. He wrote a piece and put his name to it. When people looked him up, they saw his credentials.

CMIIW but I think chabad uses that term pretty freely. Either way this guy is "the litigation king," not a rabbi.

We do, as do many others, which is why I don't give much thought to the title. Personally, I give a distinction between Rav and Rabbi. A pulpit rabbi's opinion doesn't hold much sway over me.

But isn't it worse if he's wrongly appealing to people's inherent respect for the rabbinate?

CMIIW, but I don't believe he did. He just used his title. We don't just take anyone's word for it because they identify as Dr. This shouldn't be different.

So the man is a quack. There's enough obvious garbage in his piece to discredit it on its merits alone, without having to attack the man's titles.

Offline cmey

• View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: October 20, 2020, 09:21:18 AM »
Not to mention that he has been wrong about everything. He put out a video advising his clients not to obtain PPP loans because that too was a government trap.
Is that video available?

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: October 20, 2020, 09:33:16 AM »
He didn't. He wrote a piece and put his name to it. When people looked him up, they saw his credentials.

We do, as do many others, which is why I don't give much thought to the title. Personally, I give a distinction between Rav and Rabbi. A pulpit rabbi's opinion doesn't hold much sway over me.

CMIIW, but I don't believe he did. He just used his title. We don't just take anyone's word for it because they identify as Dr. This shouldn't be different.

So the man is a quack. There's enough obvious garbage in his piece to discredit it on its merits alone, without having to attack the man's titles.
Every choshuve rov I have spoken to introduces themselves on the phone by their first and last name without any title. When someone puts out a message saying this is Rabbi so and so, chances are he is no rabbi.

Offline good sam

• View Profile

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: October 20, 2020, 09:41:15 AM »
Every choshuve rov I have spoken to introduces themselves on the phone by their first and last name without any title. When someone puts out a message saying this is Rabbi so and so, chances are he is no rabbi.

The difference between a Rov and a rabbi. Which is my point.

Offline davidd75

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: October 20, 2020, 09:45:23 AM »
I got yesterday from chemed west (in westgate- it might have another name)

thanks tip of the nose?

do they have a south side site as well?

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: October 20, 2020, 09:50:26 AM »
Wen Rav Moshe uses the title הראביי"ס or something like that it is not meant to be complementary.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: October 20, 2020, 09:51:10 AM »
He introduced himself as a rav in the audio about the testing

Offline bhoaem

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: October 20, 2020, 09:57:39 AM »
People felt his story about the Gov coming to lock people up had some backing. The consent sheet that some schools gave out was confirming it.

Offline darth

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: October 20, 2020, 12:00:21 PM »
thanks tip of the nose?
Thats what it felt like. Ive gotten 2 covid tests previously (in March & June) that were up in the brain, this one was much better.

Offline ShimshonK

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: October 20, 2020, 12:48:06 PM »

This is his opening -
This is Rabbi Yitzchok Dovid Smith with an urgent warning for the safety of your children and the Jewish community.
As a Rov, a lawyer, and a student of infectious diseases, and one who has experience with the corruption at the Centers for Disease Control and the national institutes of health, I'm calling to warn you that testing is a terrible, terrible trap. The community is being bullied, and you can never save yourself by giving in to the demands of a bully.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: October 20, 2020, 12:50:15 PM »
This is his opening -
I sent the audio to @Dan; if he wants to post it...

Offline ShimshonK

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: October 20, 2020, 12:51:36 PM »
I sent the audio to @Dan; if he wants to post it...
I emailed it to him a couple days ago too, along with the response from Schnall.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: October 20, 2020, 12:54:15 PM »
Is this the same guy with teh ramblings knocking all of the rabbonim in Passaic?